Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced loads for 1 oz. slug in handshotgun

David Sinko

I just cast up a bunch of Lee 1 oz. 12 gauge slugs that use common plastic wads. I would like to load some for a friend who has one of those neat little pump shotguns with a very short barrel, I believe only 6" or so. The gun has a pistol grip and a folding lever attached to the pump, so common factory loaded slugs are unmanageable in this contraption. Does anybody know of any reduced load data? I'm looking for something that won't injure the shooter with the recoil when fired out of this itty bitty hand shotgun. I'd like to use the WAA12 wad and either 800X or 7625 powder, though I am certainly open to other options.

Dave Sinko

You might consider looking at a faster powder (like used in 12 ga target loads) to load them. With that short barrel you will not get very good ignition and I bet it will be plenty dirty. There was just a thread about loading slugs, I put the link below

Basically, you want to use load data for 1 oz. target loads but you will need to use a different (read longer) wad than what is listed in the data for the shot load.

I have done lots of slug casting and loading and found using the faster burning powders (I like and use WST) are better and cleaner IMHO.

slugs for 3-gun thread

Neal in AZ

+1.. I'd use something like red or green dot.. 700x or clays.. and choose a nice light 1 ounce load. Something in the 1150-1200 fps range. Depending on length of the slug, you can substitute in the 1 1/8 ounce wad (WAA12 for the 1 ounce wad (AA12F1) probably without any issues. I'd just choose a load that produces less than 8000 cup so that there is some fudge room worked into the mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I usually won't load ammo for anybody else unless I can borrow the gun and be absolutely certain it will work properly and safely. But I'm not sure if I can borrow a shotgun with a 6" barrel, even if I have his paperwork. And this is the first time I am loading anything where pain is a primary consideration.

Dave Sinko