Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK "diopter"style sights for limited

hugh

Question posted in total ignorance so please be gentle :)

As I understand them,the HK sights are meant to be used with the open notch setting <100 yards for quick snap shots.You look over/past the notch and focus on the front sight...sort of a reverse ghost ring.Also supposedly better in low light.

In reading posts on limited techniques,a similar approach is mentioned using "globe"style front sights.

So,does anyone have enough triggertime on the HK sight system vice the AR system to compare?

Is there any advantage to the HK notch and rotating drum system?

This would primarily be used at 100 yds or less.

TIA,

Hugh

Edited by hugh

Diopter refers to Iron sights for NRA high power and the like that helps you see the front sight clear again, usually because of age. They do this by putting a corrective lenses in the rear sight peep, a non magnifying. Also usually use a variable opening disc like the merit.

Now are these types of peep sights legal in limited IPSC?

I don't know

You sure can buy them for the mouse gun. But they will be awful slow for three gun.

What I've done for iron sight AR is buy the Merit adjustable disc. The small one. Then I cut a nut for the thread that has a slant that fits the inside shape of the large aperture opening on the typical AR sight. Along with some loctite.

Now I have an adjustable peep sight that doesn't change my zero when I change aperture sizes. Up close stage open the disc wide open, [little smaller than large aperture], something out pass one hundred yards, or light is at band angle, dial in the size you need during the LMR. I also went to a match thin front sight will small fiber optic on the top. All brownells stuff.

I don't think there will be an advantage to using them. HK came out with them for use on the 416 because it was generally felt that AR sights were too high and they wanted to reduce the profile a little. They seem quite nice to look through. On the MP-5 they work well. On AR's, well it reamins to be seen. I think you will be better of with AR type sights but, hey, try them out if you can.