Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK, I'm STILL toying of going with a dual-boot Mac. It may come in the form of a iMac or all-out desktop, with the laptop to follow laters.

What software should I get for?

- Building Web Pages

(we're talking light duty here. I currently use an older copy of GoLive and it works fine.)

- Photo Editing

(using photoshop right now, but I only use about 2% of Photoshop's feature set. I really am looking for the digital analogue to a color/b&w darkroom. I am not a graphic designer.)

- Accounting

(I'm on Quickbooks right now and hate it. But for $200, I hate it less than paying super big dinero for a custom job. What's avail in Mac land besides QB? Anything?

- CAD

(Is there anything resembling an AutoCad equivalent in Mac land? I need robust 2D editing with .dwg or .dxf output.)

- Database

(Is Filemaker still the defacto standard? Does anybody have experience with the newer incarnation(s)? I like it, but it was kind of a bear to do anything complicated in it before.

- Programming

Is there a (shudder) Visual Basic analogue for the Mac yet? Anyone have any experience with code portability now that Macs and PCs have the same (or similar) hardware?

Thanks in advance!

E

OK, I'm STILL toying of going with a dual-boot Mac. It may come in the form of a iMac or all-out desktop, with the laptop to follow laters.

- Photo Editing

(using photoshop right now, but I only use about 2% of Photoshop's feature set. I really am looking for the digital analogue to a color/b&w darkroom. I am not a graphic designer.)

E

Almost everyone only uses a fraction of what PS can do --- but it's THE application as far as a digital darkroom is concerned. FWIW, depending on the age of your PS version it might require an upgrade, but ADOBE will transfer your license from one platform to the other, if you contact them. That's assuming you bought a version at some point.....

- Building Web Pages

(we're talking light duty here. I currently use an older copy of GoLive and it works fine.)

- Photo Editing

- Accounting

(I'm on Quickbooks right now and hate it. But for $200, I hate it less than paying super big dinero for a custom job. What's avail in Mac land besides QB? Anything?

- CAD

(Is there anything resembling an AutoCad equivalent in Mac land? I need robust 2D editing with .dwg or .dxf output.)

- Database

(Is Filemaker still the defacto standard? Does anybody have experience with the newer incarnation(s)? I like it, but it was kind of a bear to do anything complicated in it before.

- Programming

Is there a (shudder) Visual Basic analogue for the Mac yet? Anyone have any experience with code portability now that Macs and PCs have the same (or similar) hardware?

Thanks in advance!

E

building web pages-iweb will do just fine based on yer requirements.

same with iphoto for photo editing at a smaller scale.

database-yea, filemaker still the shitz.

- Building Web Pages

vi

- Photo Editing

iPhoto or Aperture should meed all of your needs.

- Accounting

I think quick books is it.

- CAD

There isn't anything that I know of that is good for CAD on the Mac.

- Database

Thats a tough one. It really depends on what you want to do. You can install mySQL or Portgress but it really depends on how you want to interface with it and what you want to do with it.

- Programming

Realbasic looks to be close to VB but it depends on what you need to do. There is also Perl, C, Applescript, Cooca, etc. Apple XCode is a decent IDE but again it depends on what you want to do.

Thanks!

For photo editing the guy at the store recommended Aperture and PS Elements. Not sure if that's an acceptable PS substitute or not.

The one thing that I was stoked about was how PDF is seamlessly woven throughout the Mac now. That beats the hell out of having to fool PC software into printing PDFs which mostly kinda works sometimes... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

For photo editing the guy at the store recommended Aperture and PS Elements. Not sure if that's an acceptable PS substitute or not.

The one thing that I was stoked about was how PDF is seamlessly woven throughout the Mac now. That beats the hell out of having to fool PC software into printing PDFs which mostly kinda works sometimes... :rolleyes:

Hey Eric,

You should give my dad a gingle. ( MajicTH on the forum) he is a massive computer guy.

Big with Mac's too

Thats what I am on right now a dual core mac.

:cheers:

Edited by Turbo23

• 1 month later...

- Building Web Pages

IWeb

- Photo Editing

Adobe will give you a version of Photoshop for the Mac, if your a registered owner of Photoshop for the PC.

- Accounting

They make Quickbooks for the Mac, and if they are like Adobe, you can get a Mac version if your a registered owner for the PC.

- CAD

Anything from Vellum., If it's good enough for Burt Ruttan to build space ships with, then..... And it will read AutoCad files.