Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Ammo Carriers

Bear1142

Is it legal to keep the side saddle ammo carriers loaded while the shotgun is in the rack? I know from personal experience that it keeps the match moving much faster if you don't have to load you side saddles when you get into the shooting box at the start of the stage. If you are allowed to keep them loaded, when can you load them? Can you do it anytime or do you have to be supervised by an RO?

Erik

I would think this would be the same as topping off your clips for a handgun which is allowed under USPSA rules. I do not know if after you rack a long gun it is legal to load the side saddles.

Erik

Vince emailed me and asked me to consider your question.

The simple answer is that in the current IPSC SG rules there is nothing specific to prevent side saddles being loaded or remaining loaded off the line, including if unattended in the rack.

However, I would consider it good practice to remove the shells and there is an implication as to this in the current rules but it does need sorting.

The whole subject of "Carry and Storage" has already been extensively addressed by the IPSC Shotgun Rules Committee and the new rules (for 2004) have tightened up on relevant safety issues. The question of safety relating to loops or clips fitted to the gun or sling is an outstanding matter and I will specifically make sure that we tackle your query.

The point about match expediency is well made but this must never be at the expense of safety.

I would like to give some more thought as to when, and under what circumstances, it would be permissable to load them or have them loaded.

I will add to this topic when I have an update for you.

Thanks for the question.