Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Clay Sports Offered After Class"

Flatland Shooter

High school students in Texas will be offered a new class "Wildlife Recreation Management" which this year will begin introducing students to clay target shooting and offer the chance to form target shooting teams that will compete against other high schools in Texas.

More than two dozen schools have reported serious interest from students and are now lining up gun ranges and rules to govern what will be an after-school, off-campus sport.

The following only expresses my personal opinion and not those of management or anyone else...

USPSA should be all over this! The USPSA Junior program should be working with USPSA clubs in Texas to provide stages, gear, and instructors for this program, and not let Clays be the only exposure these kids have to the shooting sports. I don't have anything again shooting flying clays with high-dollar shotguns, but there is so much more in the shooting sports and we should not let this opportunity to have legitimate access into the school system and show handgun shooting in a positive light.

But still, if this type of program had been offered at my high school back when .... I would have been going "Cool!"