Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case lube residue

itchy

I've been using the Dillon case lube spray and noticed that the residue get starting to feel sticky. Is this normal? My process is to spray a little on a baking sheet, then grab a couple handfuls of brass and roll them on the sheet, then transfer to the hopper. I'm noticing a gummy substance building up on my extractor also. Any techniques on removing the lube? Besides re-tumbling?

Thanks,

Itchy

Jim,

I tumbled rounds to get lube off but won't ever do it again. It was a PITA to get the corn cob media out of the hollow points :P:mellow::huh::wacko::angry2: .

That was when i used the dillon case lube. I use one shot now but feel its easier to size with the dillon lube.

I use Hornady one shot and generally leave the lube on for anything but major match rounds. For my match rounds I take an old t shirt and lightly spray a little brake cleaner on it. I then take 140-170 rds and roll them around/rub them in the shirt and tadaaa lube fre rounds.

I've been using the Dillon case lube spray and noticed that the residue get starting to feel sticky. Is this normal? My process is to spray a little on a baking sheet, then grab a couple handfuls of brass and roll them on the sheet, then transfer to the hopper. I'm noticing a gummy substance building up on my extractor also. Any techniques on removing the lube? Besides re-tumbling?

Thanks,

Itchy

There is a way around the problem completely....not sure why more people aren't using this method, but it's great.

Get some pure, unscented lanolin at the drug store (tube goes for about $10 and lasts forever). Lanolin is the lubricating part of many spray-on lubes so you're getting the same thing in the end. Put a couple of hundred tumbled cases into a box. Put a small, very small, dab of the lanolin on one hand (think the size of a pencil eraser or smaller). Work that into your hands...heat softens it, and then run your hands lightly through the cases. You don't have to touch each case, every second or third case works fine. After you've done this a couple of times you'll figure out how much to use....normally less than you expect.

Load your ammo and you'll find that the dies don't get gunky and you don't have to tumble or clean the loaded rounds at all.

• 5 months later...

Thanks,

Itchy

There is a way around the problem completely....not sure why more people aren't using this method, but it's great.

Get some pure, unscented lanolin at the drug store (tube goes for about $10 and lasts forever). Lanolin is the lubricating part of many spray-on lubes so you're getting the same thing in the end. Put a couple of hundred tumbled cases into a box. Put a small, very small, dab of the lanolin on one hand (think the size of a pencil eraser or smaller). Work that into your hands...heat softens it, and then run your hands lightly through the cases. You don't have to touch each case, every second or third case works fine. After you've done this a couple of times you'll figure out how much to use....normally less than you expect.

Load your ammo and you'll find that the dies don't get gunky and you don't have to tumble or clean the loaded rounds at all.

I tried this wow. I have never had the press run this smooth

My biggest problem is the powder/belling station. My brass seems to be elastic enough that it grabs the die on the way out and won't let go easily. I tried different amounts of bell, but still have the 'grabbing' effect. It's Armscor 38 super brass.

It gets pretty bad sometimes, and will 'bounce' powder out of the case as it lets go...

The only solution I've found is to put a little lube on the die, where it bells the case. I use that waxy die lube (Lee or Redding, looks like lip balm), but only a little tiny bit. It needs reapplied every 100 rounds!!! sucks for me!

I was thinking of taking the die out and checking for nicks or scratches, and polishing it. I don't have this probolem with any other caliber...

Edited by Jeff686

My biggest problem is the powder/belling station. My brass seems to be elastic enough that it grabs the die on the way out and won't let go easily. I tried different amounts of bell, but still have the 'grabbing' effect. It's Armscor 38 super brass.

It gets pretty bad sometimes, and will 'bounce' powder out of the case as it lets go...

The only solution I've found is to put a little lube on the die, where it bells the case. I use that waxy die lube (Lee or Redding, looks like lip balm), but only a little tiny bit. It needs reapplied every 100 rounds!!! sucks for me!

I was thinking of taking the die out and checking for nicks or scratches, and polishing it. I don't have this probolem with any other caliber...

I usually only have this happen on new brass. Once fired seems to be OK.

To help reduce it, I took the powder funnel ( from a Dillon 550 ) and chucked it in the drill press. I stared with 220 grit sand paper and worked up to 800 wet/dry and finally steel wool. Then some jewelers rouge on a rag until that baby was like a mirror. Now, with new brass, it is hardly noticeable.

Jim,

I tumbled rounds to get lube off but won't ever do it again. It was a PITA to get the corn cob media out of the hollow points :P:mellow::huh::wacko::angry2: .

That was when i used the dillon case lube. I use one shot now but feel its easier to size with the dillon lube.

Had the same experience with the corn cobb media in the hollow points so I now tumble finished rounds with HP bullets in walnut media. It's finer and does not get trapped.

Keith

Dump about 2-300 cases in a gallon freezer bag, spray with one shot, roll around, dump in hopper.

When done loading, dump on towl, spray directly with silicone lube and clean by swishing around.

There's the spray pump and the aerosol One Shot (I use the latter). I don't think they go bad? :blink::unsure:

I have some of the lanolin based case lubes in plastic pump bottles where the liquid gets concentrated over time (the bottle also collapses - I think the carrier is alcohol, and evaporates right through the plastic). I rarely use the stuff, but figure a little alcohol added back would make it useable again.

• 5 weeks later...