• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9/29/2007

Too much stuff to detail everything, so here are the high points:

Trigger control. Shooting Bill drill type stuff, especially at 15 yards or more really tells the story. For me, I tend to get my finger just a little too tight to the frame of the gun. When I force that finger off the frame, that puts the trigger more to the fingertip than just on the pad and results in a more straight back path. I can see it in the dot and feel it in the finger. For the first time in my shooting life I'm able to feel the reset while I'm shooting a Bill (or similar) drill. Long range accuracy is now throwing 1-2 C's instead of 4-5. Also, splits have dropped from .23's at that distance to .20's

Holster placement/cant. The grip of my gun has always been basically horizontal. While this initially let me feel like I had a better grip, I've been fairly regularly getting my thumb caught on the beavertail and botching the draw. Muzzle more vertical will still allow the middle finger contact point, but will give the thumb more room to clear.

Hands at surrender elbow position. Need to do this dry fire in front of a video camera so I can find a repeatable spot that minimizes elbow movement.

Move those eyes! Even with a bum neck I can take seconds off of most runs with better/faster eye movements.

9/29-30/2007

OK, The smile on my face and the stuff running through my head is just not enough to overcome the absolute exhaustion of spending two days with Max, Travis, and 10 friends at the range. That adrenaline was enough to get me home...but barely enough to actually get me out of the car and into the house!

I'll organize and update later....

<_< I really hate the Air Force right now. <_<

You're giving lessons when I get back.

9/30/2007

Box Entries/Exits: See log entries in performance diary for detailed notes. Big step into box so final stance is correct s/b the default.

Make up shots are coming pretty naturally.

Add page to performance diary for tracking various split and transition times. Heck, add a personal best and par time tracker too.

More than one step after picking up gun? At least consider doing it one handed.

First time doing final walkthrough using 2 alphas rather than bang bang :-) This actually works pretty well because if makes me id the spot in the a zone where the hits will be.

My tendency is to back out of shooting positions...will plan on "easy" exits where possible.

When deciding on a stage plan, plan on activating targets so that they appear with the last shots moving me in the direction I need to go.

Consider always taking the easiest shot as you move into a position, even if there is a slight delay in the ability to get to an activated target. Waiting on the dot for a 15+ yard shot on a mini popper was a loser! Take the open paper first so can settle before going after plates or partials.

And oh, so much more....

10/1/2007

30 minutes of dry fire...some draws and mostly reloads from all three pouches...with the G34. If I can get these down, the open gun will be a breeze.

My Edge feels like a vaccum after all the glock reloads.

Definitely need to make up some dummy rounds. With the mouth of the mag open and no magwell I occasionally catch a lip. Other than that, I just need 3 years worth of dry firing and I'll be within .5 of your reloads :-)

10/2/2007

OK, second time trying to post so I'm not going to retype all the crap.

40 minutes of dry fire. 35 of that at surrender.

Changes angle of holster and like it.

Really need to smooth out the reloads, getting on the button earlier so mag drops before replacement is up and pay attention to over extending the arms afterwards.

10/7/2007

4 days of driving sure does suck. Good thing there was so much fun to be had in Ohio.

Miles and Miles on Friday

2 miles + on Saturday followed by the weight pull, and then the midwestgunclub.com match that night. I could barely stand, but it was definitely worth the trip to meet the gang.

Miles and miles again on Sunday am followed by 10 hours in the car :yawn:

Jackson got his Draft Dog title and Maverick got two pack dog legs with Paula. Success all around....

When shooting indoors, don't forget the clear glasses! It's a little dark wearing the normal outdoor tints indoors.

Also, use a much smaller dot, as there is no need for a bigger dot just to get the added brightness.

When going East, load up on the TechWear shirts. If you ask, they'll lie and tell you it's always in the 60's in October :-)

Place wager on how long it takes Adam to make GM....

10/10/2007

After 13 hours of work, I wasn't going to give in to the lure of the pillow.

40 minutes of dry fire.

25minutes on the draw. Almost all slow motion building in the muscle memory...fast to the gun, played with the grip points, out of the holster to level, then up and point to the target. Sounds so simple! If I really wait to see the dot fully, I feel like I'm spending days before the hammer falls. New holster angle is working well. Thumb is clearing the beavertail cleanly.

15 minutes on reloads. Still need to smooth out the thumb path the the button. Wonder if the grip is a little too thin. Can easily squeeze enough to keep a couple of mags from dropping. Need to play with the second mag position. Need more angle as I'm palming the basepad too often. A good lookin to the magwell makes up for a lot. Consciously changed focus after tip of mag entered magwell.

After 13 hours of work, I wasn't going to give in to the lure of the pillow.

40 minutes of dry fire.

25minutes on the draw.

With dedication like that you'll make master in no time. Keep up the good work! :cheers:

edit to add: Congrats to the dogs too!

Edited by SLM

Why does it take me so long to find the dot and recognize that it's where it's supposed to be and pull the trigger?

Is this an inconsistent grip/stance/npa so that there's just no confidence?

Am I changing my visual focus from the target as the gun's rising?

????

Just a thought: You can not make the dot appear. It has to appear on its own. There are many things you can try but this will be the simplest.... Get into your stance adn drw with your eyes closed. After you are at full draw and settled, open your eyes and see where the dot is. If you can see it without moving the gun, you are 99% there. If you can't see it, figure out where the dot is without moving your wrists. Moving your wrists will alter your grip and cause more problems.

Move at the waist, knees and very slightly at the shoulders (do not move your head). Once the dot is in the center of the glass, close your eyes for a couple of seconds. When you open them it should still be there. If it is not, readjust and try again. If it is, close your eyes again and pull the gun back toward your body. Push it back out to "full extension" and open your eyes after everything has settled. If the dot is there, you are very well on your way, if it is not, try again.

What you are doing is trying to isolate specific body motions and refine them. I agree that we need to see what is going on, but with our eyes being the fastest muscle, then tend to see inprofections as they occur and direct the changes as necessary. If you can teach yourself to present the gun with the right form, when the eye sees that the dot will be off, it will be a much cleaner, smoother, therefore fore faster "dot find".

I hope this helps!!!

Thanks Gene, Guess I need to back up one more step. My dry fire has been very slow to try to identify the wierd motions I've got in the draw, but I can see that I need to go back even further to ensure I'm ending up with a natural point of aim....

Why does it take me so long to find the dot and recognize that it's where it's supposed to be and pull the trigger?

Is this an inconsistent grip/stance/npa so that there's just no confidence?

Am I changing my visual focus from the target as the gun's rising?

????

the goal would be not to have to find the dot..but the dot to appear into your line of vision on your draw..if its not..then as Rags suggests..something in your mechanics is pulling the dot off so it is not there..

the beauty of the dot too..is that you can be visually on that spot on the target and as the gun comes up..the dot will go there..you do not need to shift your focus back to it..as it is on that visual plane already..some with transitions..as yours eyes move to the next spot on target..the dot will chase your eyes to that spot..no need to shift back like iron sights..

again like Gene says..work the mechanics..may I suggest work your draw backwards too..

start with a perfectly aligned aquistion..let you body relax into its position so the dot is settled.. then back to your holster..close your eyes, do your draw in 1/4 speed and then open your eyes..the dot should be there..if not..readjust..backwards and forwards...keep doing ..and when right keep doing..this will begin to build the reps and muscle memory..

also remember to do this SHO and WHO..do that you are not hunting the dot..

see ya this weekend??

The underlying issue, beyond a lack of practice, is the left eye dominance. The grip that feels the best on the gun and that leaves the trigger finger most free does not naturally (so far anyway) bring the gun up to the left eye. What I started noticing last night was that if I used a specific spot on my middle finger as my tactile first touch of the gun, I tended to grip it so that it would come up to the left eye. Reversing the process will help confirm that this does not add in some (more :) ) wierd motions to my draw.

I'll definitely use all of this to work towards a repeatable, stable platform.

Thanks!