Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EZ Bagger

EZ Bagger

10/17/2007

Started by swapping out for the M2i magwell...well almost. Shape is different enough that the trimmed section of the MSH (to fit ICE magwell) leaves a rather large gap where the palm goes. So, decided to put in the regular flat housing...but lost the stupid little pin that holds in the spring retainer.

So, no big deal, that's why I have an identical second gun. Ordered a small batch of spare parts and headed to the range.

OMG WTH and WTF. I couldn't hit the side of a barn. My times on were terrible...and that was with really bad hits. Kept working and working and working and still slow and bad hits. Finally remembered that I had needed the 10lb spring for breaking it in...AHHHH much better with the 8lb spring. Essentially wasted 300 of the 420 rounds I shot today.

Same thing as dryfired yesterday. El Prez without a turn (still can't walk, but it doesn't hurt as much just to stand) from surrender with each target 1/3 covered with no shoots.

Best run was 5.88 down 5 points. Middle sixes was normal for runs where either the draw or the reload weren't clean. Clean draw and clean reloads were 6.1's.

Same in real life as in dry fire: If I intentionally go slow I find myself following the dot rather than leading with the eyes. Funny thing is that it's so much faster, but at the same time I can call the shots at least as well.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10/18/2007

15 minutes of dry fire. All but 2 minutes (max) from a table. Did this mostly just to get my hands on a gun.

Must have overdone it yesterday. Woke up this morning feeling pretty good, but by the time I go done with the chores I could barely walk. By the time I got out of the shower...the day was done. I got the shoe on, but it hurt so bad I immediately took it back off and spent the next 4 hours in bed except to get more drugs and/or ice.

Was planning on a range day tomorrow. We'll see! If so, it will not be a 500 round day like I planned.

10/20/2007

Oh man. Absolutely beautiful weather! Mild breeze, got to probably 70-72 by the end of the match. Glorious.

Even better was squadding with Hoofy and SA Friday. Fun to watch the very quiet battle there :ph34r:

Tough stages. Plenty of no shoots, but the toughest targets were partials with hardcover from shoulder to waist at about 15 yards. If that trigger pull and grip weren't spot on it showed up very clearly with plenty of shots in the black. Some head only shots, a fairly fast swinger...with a no shoot covering the bottom half of the target, and very few open targets.

Felt sorry for the 10 round guys. One of the stages wasn't a legal stage and we didn't catch it until it was too late. Way too many 10 rounders had no ability to make up misses on some pretty tough shots.

Foot was OK so decided to shoot. Man am I paying the price today.

Practice notes:

Transition to long distance head shots. Not a too common occurance, but it really shows if the transitions are solid, eyes leading. Mine were slow, but mostly from a lack of confidence, not from mechanical issues. This same stage had 8 no shoots. I didn't see a single one of them during the stage and that felt good. Eyes had to have been leading properly for this to have happened.

Second stage of the day was 99-22 Nuevo El Presidente. OMG Nearly dropped the gun on the draw, leading to a first shot Mike. Gun was coming out of the holster on the spin. Gotta figure this one out! I had changed two things...gun and muzzle rest length (played with the Limited gun). I doubt that my backup (open) gun is truly different than the main gun, so my guess is that I've set the length too short. I'll play with this in dry fire on some padding so if the gun does drop I won't break anything.

Third stage of the day was sneaky tough. Turn, pick up gun off barrel, load it, 10 rounds, reload off the barrel, 10 rounds. 2 outside targets were at about 15 yards, 3 inside targets were at about 7 yards. Plenty of hard cover and/or no shoots on every target. Discussed which targets to shoot first. Near targets or far targets. All of the better shooters on our squad wanted to go straight across the arrays rather than add a big transition. I'll have to ask Glenn/Jr how they shot that one. Again, on the closer array with no shoots on the outsides and hard C/D hardcover on the center target, I never saw anything other than the A (the letter) that I was aiming for.

Fouth stage was fairly straightforward, but I had two targets that I definitely wasn't calling the second shot properly. Lucky to get those hits. Need the visual patience when I know I've got a medium range transition to follow....

Fifth stage of the day was basically a disaster. No not really, but it felt that way. Two swingers that I hadn't memorized prior to actually running the stage. Note to self. If you have to shoot early in a squad or just don't have the time to learn a stage's timing, DON'T make the shooting complex! Plan on simple footwork where added targets will be available while gathering yourself up, waiting, whatever.

Nice work.

Edited by EZ Bagger

Jeez I can't believe I got beat by a cripple! Seriously though good shooting EZ looks like all that practice is paying off.

Thanks. Really tough match. It would have been nicer if we had all been a little closer to Glenn, but we were all in a pretty tight group. Feels pretty good, eh?

Hopefully the snow will melt fast so we can get out there and try to catch Glenn.

you shot a pretty decent match by the results..even for a cripple..

that was a good match..lots of partials..and at medium range too..liked the challenge..

that last stage was a little tough..for us 10rnd guys/gals..pretty much a virginia count stage in disguise..as if you had to make another reload..you were toast..

My match was less than stellar..put to many shots about a 1.2" into the black..which is just to dang far..

but I liked the challenge..

good stuff guys...

you shot a pretty decent match by the results..even for a cripple..

that was a good match..lots of partials..and at medium range too..liked the challenge..

that last stage was a little tough..for us 10rnd guys/gals..pretty much a virginia count stage in disguise..as if you had to make another reload..you were toast..

My match was less than stellar..put to many shots about a 1.2" into the black..which is just to dang far..

but I liked the challenge..

good stuff guys...

They were really fun stages but I wouldn't intentionally let another stage like that one make it through unless even the Open guys had to share in the risk somehow.

Ya, you just had a horrorible match :rolleyes: . You beat a guy that finished 15th in Open at Nationals and finished, what, 18% from the guy that won the whole match? Didn't you come in 2nd overall too? That's just an awful representation of a 74.94% open shooter.

Keep this up and people might talk. Oops, too late.

Ya, you just had a horrorible match :rolleyes: . You beat a guy that finished 15th in Open at Nationals and finished, what, 18% from the guy that won the whole match? Didn't you come in 2nd overall too? That's just an awful representation of a 74.94% open shooter.

If you think that's "funny" just wait until you see the revised relults.... Glenn's first gun was his Limited gun, not his Open gun :-) I haven't decided whether to actually distribute the changed results or not, but either way I'm feeling good right now.

If you think that's "funny" just wait until you see the revised relults.... Glenn's first gun was his Limited gun, not his Open gun :-) I haven't decided whether to actually distribute the changed results or not, but either way I'm feeling good right now.

I forgot about that...

how come his Limited gun didn't even show in the match??

that will change results up a bit..

Sean..

you can shoot way better than that :blink:

Edited by eerw

hey..you better watch out too..I am only 115 match points behind you :goof:

hey..you better watch out too..I am only 115 match points behind you :goof:

Stu, you're my hero. Who else would have been willing to spot me 200 match points just to make it fair? Heck, Pitt only spotted me 60 points.

Hey, just to clarify... Glenn shot his Limited gun first, but the scores you posted for him in Open are correct...

His Limited gun was listed as "Earl".

For the record, I'm only going to spot Todd 40 pts. from now on! Dang good shooting Todd.

As for catching Glenn, that's easy... no misses or noshoots, run every stage 1-2.5 seconds faster :)

Steve

Hey, just to clarify... Glenn shot his Limited gun first, but the scores you posted for him in Open are correct...

Yes, Glenn beat all of us with both guns. The only thing that changes is the %'s. But, this is not Glenn's diary, so I can spin it to my benefit if I want :P

We're really lucky to be able to shoot with some top caliber shooters, and a bunch of shooters that are great to be around too. The best thing about that is every % gain is real. Let's all get good enough that every weekend is a challenge for him too.

10/22/2007

25 minute brisk hike with the dogs while waiting for the Cheezie to clear the cavity search.

40 minutes of dry fire...with iron sights...and reloads...tons of them, going 3 deep on the belt.

Used 99-22 as the target array. Spent 2/3 of the time going right to left and the last 1/3 going left to right. All strings were six shots reload, six shots reload, six shots reload, six shots.

Them Cheezie's are gonna be the death of you yet! :blink:

Definitely need to find a fiber front sight for it. Sweet trigger. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a chance to shoot it this week.

How the heck do you reach the thumb safety?

Edited by EZ Bagger

damn..your trigger is better than mine

don't need to reach the safety....just keep your finger off the trigger..

hey bring it up to PSAC..would like to see it..besides..owe you $5.

So, because the hammer's down, no safety on?