Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moved to the Moderator Forum:2010 Pan American Shotgun Championship

I guess IROA got in early ! :sight:

Um, Mike, I blocked all the rooms I needed for staff in early December, including IROA. Rockcastle blocked rooms for some media & sponsors. The remaining 45 open rooms were booked within 10 hours after I updated the website with pictures of the resort (and a picture of Trapr, by the way) :surprise:

I am not too surprised about that, because I have been sending out many "personal invitations," I see my overall email volume about PanAm & my website statistics regarding this match indicate a really big interest from Europe, South America & Asia. I assume that the main page & the gallery may attract casual browsers who have no intention of attending the match. The hits on the travel pages (with airport & hotel info), on the other hand, probably represent shooters who are seriously planning to attend.

I am fired up! Haven't had this much fun planning a match in a long time. :D

Linda Chico (l-2035)

2010 Pan American Shotgun Match Director

Edited by LChico

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fired up! Haven't had this much fun planning a match in a long time. :D

Linda Chico (l-2035)

Hi Linda,

I actually also posted this in GV but I'd like to know:

1) what would be less hassle for a foreign shooter travelling with their shotgun? land in nashville and cross into KY or land in louisville? I'm not familiar with TN and KY state laws regarding transport of firearms. also, it would be a shorter stopover wait for me if I landed in nashville.

2) since the available hotel options would be cave city or bowling green, should we keep the shotgun locked in the car trunk at the hotel overnight or can we bring it into our hotel rooms? or can we keep it somewhere near the range?

Thanks

Raul

As a resident of KY, I'll tell you it's legal to carry it anywhere in the vehicle. No issues with crossing state lines either, so if Nashville is easier to fly into, that would be the way to go. I'd suggest taking your gun in the hotel every night. Both Bowling Green and Cave City are pretty low-crime towns, but no need to chance your vehicle getting broken into.

This is from the NRA website:

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

This provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

So locked in the trunk in both TN & KY should be okay.

I would personally NEVER leave a firearm in a vehicle when I am at a hotel. Carry it unloaded in a suitable container (case, bag or sleeve) to your room. This is Kentucky . . . This is also not the first shooting event at Rockcastle Shooting Center. They've had multi-gun competitions (where everyone brings a minimum of 3 guns), and Sporting clays events (where most shooters have several shotguns). I am making contact with additional hotels next week (So far, I have met with the Comfort Inn in Cave City). I will not put a hotel on the list that is not completely comfortable with shooters and firearms.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Larry, I don't know if you've been to the "range" yet, but if not, they have a great old barn that we shot a stage in (and through) at the BRM3G. Of Course after that 200 competitors it may not be completely safe for 300+ Pan-Am shooters.

Brian....the barn is in play for the match!

I figured you had done it Linda, I was just joking about IROA simply because whenever I go to a Level IV the RO's are always in the best hotel and dont mind telling everyone about it ! :rolleyes:

Mike, you certainly know that I like to be sure the staff gets treated right. In addition to room and board, there will be a staff lounge, stocked with snacks & drinks (including offerings from one of our match sponsors: Maker's Mark!) :cheers: While the hotel on site is clean and comfortable, it is not luxurious.

Anyone who wants "high end" accommodations will have to stay in Bowling Green.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

OK I'm in. Other than email El Prez and send in the app, is there anything else I need to do?

Yes! Make sure your shotgun meets the requirements of the division you indicated on the application. Also, review the IPSC Shotgun rules (limk available on the match website).

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

• 3 weeks later...

New News.

Nashville and Louisville are the shuttle sites for transport from airport to hotel, hotels to match. (At this point...) What is also really interesting is the South American response is greater than the local.

Since most USPSA shooters do not seem to know the protocol of having your slot go through the RD (Michael Voigt), or are waiting --

the waiting list is growing with competitors from Asia and especially Europe. Should be a great crowd!

More info as I have it.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

My hats off to you Linda, this is a massive undertaking... I can hardly get my mind around the logistics involved. I wish you and your co-MD the best of luck and hope the event goes smooth and weather is fair... I have the utmost respect for you both.

If there is anything I can do... please ask.

JT

Edited by JThompson

The Official Match Ammo list is now active. Go to the section labeled "Event" on the match website and select the link on the left for "Match Ammunition."

Or just go to http://www.panamericanshotgun.org/event.html

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Match Director

2010 IPSC Pan American Shotgun Championship

If you prefer to order Sellier & Bellot brand ammunition, rather than the ammunition currently listed, please check back in about a week. We have an agreement in place with S&B, but they have not provided the specific ammunition and prices yet. We hope to add that soon. In fact, if you have a favorite shotshell or slug you want included, I suggest that you contact S&B to request that they include it in the offerings for the match.

We are in also in contact with Fiocchi, and hope to add their ammunition in the next 2 weeks.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Match Director

Do we still have to chrono if we are using official match ammo? Are we allowed to use any of our own ammo?

If you declare "official match ammo", you do not need to chrono. The "receipt" mentioned in the rules will actually be a sticker on your Equipment Card. That allows fewer things that the shooter needs to retain.

If you declare "match ammo," you can still use your ammo for side events. You will note on the bottom of the ammo page that there are minimum amounts posted. If you order less than the amount required to shoot the match, your equipment card will reflect the fact that you are not using "match ammo." If someone uses their own ammo during the event, I suspect it will be hard to catch if it is the same brands as the match ammo. However, using different brands or hand loads after declaring "match ammo" would potentially earn you a trip to the chrono graph. See referenced rules:

5.8.1 When match organizers make official match ammunition available for purchase by competitors at a match,

the Match Director must, both in advance in official match literature (and/or on the official match website),

and by way of a sign certified by him and posted at a conspicuous place at the point of sale, clearly identify

the: manufacturer, brand(s), calibers, cartridge case lengths, shot size, shot weight, velocity, powder dram

equivalent (if available).
The subject rounds will usually be exempt from Rule 5.6.3 testing by chronograph

subject to the following conditions:

5.8.1.1 The competitor must obtain, and retain for the duration of the match, an official receipt from the

match organizers (or their nominated vendor) at the match evidencing details of the quantity and

description of the subject ammunition purchased at the match, and said receipt must be produced

on demand by any match official, failing which the provisions of Rule 5.8.1 will not apply.

Ammunition not purchased from the match organizers (or their nominated vendor) at the match

will not enjoy the provisions of Rule 5.8.1., regardless of whether or not such ammunition appears,

for all intents and purposes, to be identical to official match ammunition

5.8.1.5 Match Officials reserve the right to conduct chronograph or other tests on all and any ammunition,

at any time, and a reason need not be given.

Hope that helps

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Match Director

5.8.1.5 Match Officials reserve the right to conduct chronograph or other tests on all and any ammunition,

at any time, and a reason need not be given.

Hope that helps

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Match Director

Yes, we had an unfortunate experience on one SG match. One competitor forgot 24 gram practice ammo in his bag and RO saw them.

Ammo was shot through chrono and declared "minor". No score for that competitor on that National Match. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to book my flights in the next day or so. I've seen some negative comments about transiting through Newark, with Philadelphia being recommended instead. Is it really any big deal?

However, I've also just found a good flight with US Airways that transits through Charlotte, NC. Any likely problems if I opt for this route? The timings and UK airport are much better for me.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/tips.