Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moved to the Moderator Forum:2010 Pan American Shotgun Championship

2010 PanAm IPSC Shotgun Championship

Linda Chico – Administrative Match Director

Larry Houck – Co-Match Director

Main Event July 29 through August 1 of 2010 (Thurs thru Sunday)

at Castle Rock Shooting Center at Park Mammoth Resort in Park KY (Site of the Blue Ridge 3 Gun)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2010 IPSC PanAm Shotgun Match Director

Hi Linda,

I would like to use my own ammo. would it be legal to ship a bunch of shotgun ammo into the US ahead of the match? How do I go about doing it?

I tried looking at the ATF website but couldn't find the right guidelines/permit.

Thanks in advance

sorry, forgot to mention i'm from outside of the US

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 PanAm IPSC Shotgun Championship

Linda Chico – Administrative Match Director

Larry Houck – Co-Match Director

Main Event July 29 through August 1 of 2010 (Thurs thru Sunday)

at Castle Rock Shooting Center at Park Mammoth Resort in Park KY (Site of the Blue Ridge 3 Gun)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Hi Linda,

I would like to use my own ammo. would it be legal to ship a bunch of shotgun ammo into the US ahead of the match? How do I go about doing it?

I tried looking at the ATF website but couldn't find the right guidelines/permit.

Thanks in advance

What kind of ammo are you using that you believe you can not buy that is already here? I would encourage you to do a google search to see if you can buy it from a US dealer and have it shipped somewhere you can pick it up. If that fails, are you sure you can not find just as good or better ammo that you can buy off of the shelf?

Edited by Charles Bond

I am not sure I'll even plan on attending at this point in time. I have a bit of a problem with a 3-400 dollar match fee for a plaque match, not that Im gonna win much off the table, but still...

Jim

Jim you know you will be there because:

1. This is a world class match within a day's drive for you.

2. You pay more than $100.00 all the time for a 8 stage match and this one offers 30.

3. We will talk about you if you do not come (and likely if you do but at least you will be there to hear it).

4. Shooting USA will be there filming and you are all but certain to get more air time if you come.

5. You do not want to miss a match we are going to be talking about for the next 10 years.

6. It is going to be loads of fun to see the world come to Ken-tuck-key.

7. In your heart of hearts you have always lusted for a corvette and the factory is just down the road.

8. Since you know I am coming you can not stand to stay home.

9. Your family knows you want to go and can not stand to live with you if you do not attend.

10. You stand no chance of getting a really cool match shirt unless you pick it up at the match.

I am not sure I'll even plan on attending at this point in time. I have a bit of a problem with a 3-400 dollar match fee for a plaque match, not that Im gonna win much off the table, but still...

Jim

The cost will probably be $350. Current plans are to seek sponsorship for a buffet style dinner each night, so that the shooters can gather for the meal and socialize. These evening meals would be included in the entry fee.

I tried to keep the costs down as much as possible, but it is a 4 day match with 30 stages, and it is a hemispheric championship. This is one step below the World Shoot. And the best shotgunners in the world will be there. Larry Houck is the best stage designer I have ever met (and I've been doing this "major match" stuff for quite a while, so that is not a small compliment :) )

In addition to the opening ceremony, the shooting and the closing ceremony, we plan a few extras that I will announce once plans are finalized. I want this to be an EVENT. I have already been told that my plans are very ambitious. . . . Yeah, well, I never got anywhere by dreaming small.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

What kind of ammo are you using that you believe you can not buy that is already here? I would encourage you to do a google search to see if you can buy it from a US dealer and have it shipped somewhere you can pick it up. If that fails, are you sure you can not find just as good or better ammo that you can buy off of the shelf?

1) in the international matches i have been to, some of the available shotgun ammo are longer than the 2 5/16 inches that fit on the strippers i use.

2) most of them have a PF much much higher than the 480 floor needed. i have mine loaded to about 540

3) i know the shot pattern of the ammo i have been using for the past 5 years

4) with a lot of no-shoots, being familiar with the shot pattern would probably be a good idea

5) trying out new ammo, checking what fits best on my stripper, patterning it for various distances for the various chokes, checking out the point of impact of the slugs at various distances etc, then ordering a considerable quantity of slugs, birdshot and buckshot would mean i would have to be in the US, at the very least, more than a week before the match

6) including travel, (i live in asia) that would mean i would have to be off work for at least two weeks (a half-month)

7) with my own ammo, i could just go, shoot the match and leave

but i'll give your suggestion a shot (no pun intended). thanks

Remember that $350 are still considerably lower than what you had to pay to shoot last years European rifle championship. At todays exchange rate that match would have been $520 - and still we lost a LOT of money. Matches this big are really, really expensive to put on.

Dagfinn

7. In your heart of hearts you have always lusted for a corvette and the factory is just down the road.

It hadn't dawned on me that the bowling green plant is that close. Now I have no choice but to come to this match.

The plant and museum is 19 miles south of the range on the interstate.

Well I guess the cat is now officially out of the bag......Linda talked me out of retirement to help with the match. I will do my best to keep up the high standard that she has set by calling me the best stage designer she has seen!

Here is where I need everyone's help...I am soliciting you help for stage designs. I am working on them now but at 30 stages....there are many opportunities to everyone. Please keep in mind that we may have to modify your stage for several reasons, round count, fit in the shooting area and lastly to fit the match scheme/theme.

Like Linda, I too want to make this an event that everyone who participates will walk away saying, when can we do this again. I want everyone saying, can I shoot that again after each stage.

So you can send you stages to azone40@comcast.net, please send them in a word document of power point as that would be greatly appreciated for file transfer.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, I don't know if you've been to the "range" yet, but if not, they have a great old barn that we shot a stage in (and through) at the BRM3G. Of Course after that 200 competitors it may not be completely safe for 300+ Pan-Am shooters.

Buuuummmmer... What happened to the "Must take place between April and July 2010" post eirlier. Planned our family re-union on a cruise around that, you guessed it July 31-Aug 8. I will be thinking of you all......

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been a very busy few weeks. More new content will be posted on the website daily for the next few days.

* * New * * Under the "Location" page we now have a picture gallery, and travel info from Louisville, Nashville & Atlanta Airports. New deadlines are posted on the schedule page.

The match administrative staff spent 4 productive days at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas. Larry Houck (Co-Match Director) and Joel Dix (Sponsorship Coordinator) and I were literally going in many different directions, but we were able to get together for 3 big meetings.

We had a long meeting with top IPSC and IROA officials to outline our plans. We received some excellent suggestions and advice. Since it is the first time anyone has planned to host a Level 4 Shotgun match in the US, it was a BIG help to speak to IPSC officials who make these kind of plans on a regular basis.

We had a dinner meeting with some IROA officials and Larry Houck was able to discuss stage strategy with Neil Beverly. Neil literally wrote the rules about IPSC shotgun and he is an authority on IPSC Shotgun stage design. I believe that conversation resulted in some modification of our draft stage designs, and is the reason the round count has been adjusted.

We had a dinner meeting with the owners of the Rockcastle Shooting Center and Park Mammoth Resort. They are excited to showcase their resort and have been very helpful in arranging contact with local vendors. The hotel at the resort called me today at 10:00 am to inform me that the hotel was full. We are working on discount group rates for hotels in Cave City (10 miles away) and Bowling Green (24 miles away).

There are new deadlines on the website. All slot allocations have been sent to Regional Directors. The US, Canada & Brazil have 66 slots each, as the 3 largest regions in the Pan American Zone.

Note to US Shooters. You MUST be a USPSA member to shot this match: membership in the US IPSC region (USPSA) is required. You must have the "approval" of the US Regional Director (RD). Please email Michael Voigt (US Regional Director for IPSC) at president@uspsa.org and request a slot. If you have already done this, it is not necessary to email him again. Michael will forward your message to me, to indicate he has approved the slot. I will then notify you when the application posts on 30 January 2010.

The RD must approve all slots at a Level 4 IPSC match. Rather than have everyone forward the application to Michael Voigt for a signature, then Michael sends them back, then US shooters add the check & mail it to me . . . we decided to shorten the paperwork shuffle by using email to approve slots. Please note that this process applies to US shooters only.

All slots must be paid for or returned unused by 15 March 2010. We had to make the deadline earlier, because obtaining a permit to bring firearms and ammunition to the US can take up to 8 weeks. It would have cut out many international shooters if the deadline for returning unused slots was later.

The bank is still setting up payment options for the match. That is why the application will not post until 30 January 2010. We will have several payment options: Direct Wire Transfer, Credit Card, International Money Order, or (primarily for US shooters) checks drawn on US Banks. The match fee was increased for Wire Transfers or Credit Card transactions ($370), but is discounted for money orders or personal checks drawn on US banks (still $350).

TechwearUSA has designed a terrific shirt for our match. It was on display in their booth at the SHOT Show. Information about how to order this unique match shirt will post with the application.

More later

Linda Chico (l-2035)

2010 Pan American Shotgun Match Director

The hotel on site will house primarily staff. There are 35ish rooms available, er, were available -- just to show you the level of interest -- they have been booked and not by US shooters. Surprised me too!

Look to bowling Green and the website. Linda is trying to add info on a daily basis.

J.