Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 round mags

D.Hayden

I have one from Bushmaster that I have used for 2 seasons without a hitch.

$25 for a 40 rounder.

Another vote for the Bushmaster. Add the ISMI spring and Magpul follower and you're good to go.

Using that spring and follower can you still get 42 in yours?

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered two of the cheap CDNN 40 round AR mags. I have no idea who made them. I took one of these new mags and replaced the "green" follower with a new Orange MAG-PUL "no tilt" follower. This is now a cheap 40 round no-name AR mag with a new MAG-PUL follower and the cheap original magazine spring. It is working 100% so far. It is too good a deal to be true - this may be a fluke but it is working so far in my AR. I will order some more of the MAG-PUL followers and convert the second AR mag soon.
Where can we get the Orange MAG-PUL "no tilt" follower?

Thank you,

• 2 weeks later...

As those 30+ cap magazines are hard to get & expensive over here, we do them ourselves.

Just gut two normal USGI 30 rounders and tape them together with some overlap. Next use a hacksaw or beltsaw and cut both mags. Next file the ends smooth, check for good connection and glue with splints (for example ice cream sticks). Let the glue dry well and wrap the magazine with resin and fiber glass cloth cut into about 1.5" wide dressings.

Then wrap hockey tape over the fiber glass while the resin is still liquid. This pushes the resin into the fiber glass cloth and makes for no air bubbles. Makes the mag look nicer as well. Using a hair dryer makes the resin dry faster.

After drying of the resin smooth the interior and equip your new highcap mag with an ISMI 40rds spring and Magpull follower.

The ISMI 40rds spring functions perfectly IMHO in mags from 40 to 52 rounds. The short leftover upper piece of the other mag can be used for a short sandbag/hunting magazine. For first time guessing the correct overlap of the mags to be sawed and subsequent roundcount I looked at the picture of a DPMS's 45 rounder.

W/o counting drying times making a highcap AR15 mag only takes about 15min. Costs = 2 X 30 rounder + ISMI 40drs spring + 1 Magpull follower + some rapid glue and resin+cloth + hockey tape. For the bottom piece I've used mags with cracked lips as well. Saves the trouble of dumping them:)

t tommi, Finland

Bigbrowndog - For you to send them w/o an export permit would be illegal. Receiving them is ok.

On the other hand, (using approximate values) 2 X usgi mag, 30$ + 40rds ISMI spring, 10$ + magpull follower, 3$ = 43$ and you get one 45 rounder and one 15 rounder. Using a broken mag for the bottom would make one 45 rounder costs only 28$. And these work 100%.. Glue and fiber glass costs are negligible. A similar DPMS 45 rounder costs something like 80$ - 90$. Imported here even more. And on the top of it "I made it!"

t tommi

Bigbrowndog - For you to send them w/o an export permit would be illegal. Receiving them is ok.

On the other hand, (using approximate values) 2 X usgi mag, 30$ + 40rds ISMI spring, 10$ + magpull follower, 3$ = 43$ and you get one 45 rounder and one 15 rounder. Using a broken mag for the bottom would make one 45 rounder costs only 28$. And these work 100%.. Glue and fiber glass costs are negligible. A similar DPMS 45 rounder costs something like 80$ - 90$. Imported here even more. And on the top of it "I made it!"

t tommi

A thread with a photo essay on that would be cool.

A thread with a photo essay on that would be cool.

I'll shoot some pics when doing next 53-rounder (Have 2 and so far they have been 100% reliable...). tverho's mag without hockey tape is something one should not be forced to see. :blink:

And as an additional plus: If mags used doesn't have broken lips you gain also a 1-round mag. ...For inserting 1 round into chamber at the begining of stage. :rolleyes:

-JamShot