Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How I Dryfire

Micah

I have had alot of people ask me about the dryfire routine that took me from D to M in less than two years, so I thought I would post it here. Please feel free to ask me any questions that come to mind.

It was last year around this time that I was beaten rather badly at the Ohio Sectionals. I had been vicariously dryfiring before then, but after my loss, I made the decision to practice every day until I could win. Initially I had set the goal for making Master, but as time went on, my goal mutated into something greater.

I do practice every day. Sometimes for two hours, sometimes crammed into the 45 minutes that I stole away...but I am familiarizing myself with my gear and techniques daily. The drills that I do are contained within Steve Anderson's two books, as well as specific drills that I have created. I chose the drills that I do for what they refine, and what my improvement areas as a shooter need to be. With the exception of practicing SOTM on my treadmill, all drills are practiced in my garage. I am 20 feet away from my targets, which are 1/4 sized with further miniaturized A zones. Although not shown in the video, I do the listed number of reps suggested in SA's two books...sometimes more, but never less.

Disclaimer: I was exhausted whilst making this video, and while editing it, will say that it is not a "How To" as far as technique, rather a suggestion as to what you can be doing for a dryfire routine. Also, I filmed it with my crappy digital camera, then had to use a crappy conversion program that makes it editable with Windows Movie Maker, and gives it that "snuff film" vibe ;)

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1309.jpg

th_Movie.jpg

Drills from SA's 1st book: (Those with a * are not in the video)

21 with reload

Drills from SA's 2nd book: (Those with a * are not in the video)

I do not do the * drills every day, rather only if I have additional time. If said time is allotted, I create stages with the various targets for additional practice. I will be creating two barricades next week, and I will be incorporating them into my practice as well.

Dryfire is a very powerful tool, but is merely a component of something greater. I also focus heavily on the mental aspects of the game, as well as remain open to new, better techniques. Livefire is essential for verifying what you are practicing...as well as showing yourself that you can trust your natural speed. (This has been one of my greatest hurdles...one that I am slowly overcoming). Livefire is also needed to show you what sight picture you can actually get away with to get your hits, be it paper at 5 feet or mini poppers at 40 yards.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that is really awsome! So that is what a garage is used for. I always thought is was a place to store all the crap you don't use. Thanks for your hard work to provide us with an insight to your training routine. Now just provide us w/ your workout and diet routine and we all can be on your heels at the next big match. LOL

Thanks man.

Thanks Micah! I will be incorporating these in my dry fire sessions also! Can you also post some of your physical training routine so I can steal that too?

+1

Great inspiration to start a consistent program of dryfire training myself too. B)

By the way, I read somewhere that we should use in dryfire all the equipment we use live fire, so that we get used to them. So what do you guys think of this? For example, should I ideally use my shooting glass and ear muff for dryfire too?

Edited by Demetrio

Can you also post some of your physical training routine so I can steal that too?

Unfortunately I have gained a little weight when I was jobless, but my workout schedual is:

-6 hours of cardio a week

-2 hours of light weights a week.

Simple as that.

So that is what a garage is used for. I always thought is was a place to store all the crap you don't use.

Absolutely not! The wife knew going in that the garage was NOT for cars or crap, but for my Dryfire Dojo! ;)

By the way, I read somewhere that we should use in dryfire all the equipment we use live fire, so that we get used to them. So what do you guys think of this? For example, should I ideally use my shooting glass and ear muff for dryfire too?

This is 100000% correct. Same gun, belt, holster, glasses, shoes (if you can) and ears. If you use a grip gel/powder, use that too. If breeding familiarity with your gear and the game that you want, make your practice as close as possible to livefire.

This is 100000% correct. Same gun, belt, holster, glasses, shoes (if you can) and ears. If you use a grip gel/powder, use that too. If breeding familiarity with your gear and the game that you want, make your practice as close as possible to livefire.

Thanks for the video Micah. And thanks to Mrs. Barcelo also. I like the setup. It makes my picking articles (books, lights, pictures, water bottles, a few targets, etc.) in the house look childish. lol :-) One thing I really need to do is use a box for the reload drills as I have to bend all the way over and I'm sure falling to the floor puts more stress on the mags then needed for practice. Also, I never thought about squares, though I do run around the condo while dryfiring working on transitions and using walls as cover. Very nice setup and I can see how that has helped your progression.

Absolutely not! The wife knew going in that the garage was NOT for cars or crap, but for my Dryfire Dojo! ;)

I think he forgets that we live in Ohio ....... Land of the 6 month Winters :huh:

I'd like to know how much dry-firing he does in January when it's 2 degrees outside. (we dont heat our garages around here and not many builders go to the extra expense of insulating the walls in a garage meant for cars)

By the way Micah ...... where you plan on keeping that new lawn-mower you havent purchased yet ? ;)

I think he forgets that we live in Ohio ....... Land of the 6 month Winters :huh:

Nope. I am well aware of that fact.

I'd like to know how much dry-firing he does in January when it's 2 degrees outside.

Already have plans to pick up a heater for the winter. I shoot matches in the snow...so the cold ain't gonna bother me.

By the way Micah ...... where you plan on keeping that new lawn-mower you havent purchased yet ? ;)

Your house, of course ;)

Thanks for the video - Once upon a time my garage was as spacious too! Then stuff started to collect. If you are not a packrat don't become one!

Couple of questions about your routine and dry firing in general:

How do you have your timer set? Seems like it is at a continous x second loop - point being you don't seem to be resetting it after each string/exercise.

When I dry fire I believe that the sight picture I see is in the A zone or the large area of the popper or plate. When I shoot live fire I think I call the shot in the A zone but it scores either in the C or D zone at times. What could be the problem? I realize that the slightest movement of the muzzle at the time the shot breaks will in effect send the shot off target left, right up or down. Maybe not smooth on the trigger? How would I cure this in dry fire practice? Is this something that by continuing the dry fire/live fire practice regime will work itself out eventually? My hopes are that "practice makes perfect" - the more you practice the closer you get to perfection.

Is it possible to ingrain bad habits such as poor grip, trigger control or other things when dryfiring? How would you know that you are practicing bad habits?

Regards,

TL

Micah,

Thanks for taking the time to do this up, and make/edit/post the video.

I wish I had room in my garage for that stuff, but I have it crammed with the wifes mini-van, and a bunch of my military crap! I do have an "I love me wall" in there though!

What gun are you using in the video? Is it your actual Glock, or something (airsoft) with trigger reset?

How do you have your timer set? Seems like it is at a continous x second loop - point being you don't seem to be resetting it after each string/exercise.

I use par times for almost all of my drills, but for the sake of simplicity, I had my timer set to random for the video. I do not use par times for Burkett reloads or strong/weak hand.

When I dry fire I believe that the sight picture I see is in the A zone or the large area of the popper or plate. When I shoot live fire I think I call the shot in the A zone but it scores either in the C or D zone at times. What could be the problem?...Maybe not smooth on the trigger? How would I cure this in dry fire practice? Is this something that by continuing the dry fire/live fire practice regime will work itself out eventually?

Sounds like you are still learning your visual patience. Before anyone can hope to get good at this sport, learning trigger control and calling one's shots are paramount. After that, you need to develop what sight picture you need to see to make the shot without taking additional time (or not enough time). The best thing you could do in dryfire to assist in this is to shrink the A zones (practice hard so the matches are easy), use a par time, and be honest with your shots. If you can hit an A at 30 feet in 1.4 seconds every time, bump it down to 1.3. If not, stay at 1.4 for a while until you can move down.

Is it possible to ingrain bad habits such as poor grip, trigger control or other things when dryfiring? How would you know that you are practicing bad habits?

Yes, yes, and yes. The best way to combat this common error is to practice with better shooters when you can...or post a video of your draw/reload/et al. here on the forums. I am fortunate enough to have two great Master class friends that I shoot with weekly to give me feedback.

When I began my range diary here on the forums, I posted videos of my match preformances so that I could receive feedback from better shooters.

What gun are you using in the video? Is it your actual Glock, or something (airsoft) with trigger reset?

I have a blue training Glock, but the gun that I use to dryfire with is the very same that I compete with (also blue). What I do before I dryfire is place a tiny piece of notecard between my barrel and slide. This keeps my gun ever-so-slightly out of battery so that I can continuously pull the trigger without resetting the striker. Although this does not mimic the exact trigger pull weight, it does allow the trigger safety to function. This is a tremendous time saver, and has allowed me to better practice my trigger control.

Great stuff Micah. If I recall, I remember a video of you dryfiring in your previous home going from room to room. Unfortunately, I don't have the capability that a garage provides. Other than space, how would you compare the two? Is it possible to have a successful dryfiring routine in a 1500sqft home?

Thanks much to you and Ms. PB. Takes a lot of effort to do things like this just to help others. I have started your diary over from the beginning.

I was really hoping that you had discovered something besides hard work and natural talent. :lol: Guess it's up to me if I want to get out of the cellar.

Rik

I have a blue training Glock, but the gun that I use to dryfire with is the very same that I compete with (also blue). What I do before I dryfire is place a tiny piece of notecard between my barrel and slide. This keeps my gun ever-so-slightly out of battery so that I can continuously pull the trigger without resetting the striker. Although this does not mimic the exact trigger pull weight, it does allow the trigger safety to function. This is a tremendous time saver, and has allowed me to better practice my trigger control.

That's a pretty sweet garage setup you have going there. I'm quite jealous. I think my neighbor condo owners would freak out if they saw me doing that in the community parking garage! ;)

I've always had a question about Steve Anderson's dryfire books. How can you reset the trigger for each shot of the par time drills? I guess your notecard trick is one way to achieve some trigger movement.

Keep up the good work!

mattk

I certainly appreciate all of the feedback gents. Thank you!

That's a pretty sweet garage setup you have going there. I'm quite jealous. I think my neighbor condo owners would freak out if they saw me doing that in the community parking garage! ;)

You can literally dryfire anywhere. I started off in the hallway of a one bedroom apartment, then in the bedroom of my small townhouse. There is an advantage to having more space for movement and width, but the fundamentals are universal regardless of space.

Great post Micah! I really appreciate it. You've clearly put a great deal of thought and development into your dry fire practice routines and space.

I am very impressed with your rapid rise to Master :bow: but what really awes me is that anyone can have a garage that is that clean and uncluttered! :)

PB,

Thanks for theanswers to my questions. As a new shooter I keep forgetting that it really does take time to master the art of shooting a handgun as fast as you can accurately. I guess human nature is to expect immediate results. Truth be told it is safe to say you must earn your stripes(proficiency) much like the person in martial arts earns his/her belts. Bottom line is takes dedication and a lot of time. It certainly won't happen overnight and it certainly won't happen if you do nothing to improve your skills!

Thanks again for providing such an inspiration! :cheers:

Regards,

TL