Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Google SketchUp Models

Jim Taylor

We are using Google SketchUp for course design at Black Creek Shooters' Association IDPA in Mechanicsville VA.

We started using this tool in May of 2007 and have continued to develop IDPA stage designs as well as various props, targets, etc. as the need arises. Not only have we developed targets for IDPA, but the IPSC Classic and Metric targets are complete as well. A large number of props are also complete.

We are using the Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse as a repository of models as we develop them. We currently have more than 60 3D models available including the stage designs for our June, July, August, and September matches. Since we typically run a 12 stage match each month, we will be building our stage design inventory at a fairly rapid pace.

We encourage you to utilize this tool and to join us in developing stage designs and props for use by the USPSA, IPSC, and IDPA communities.

Google SketchUp is free and may be obtained at www.sketchup.google.com.

The models we have stored in the 3D Warehouse are available at http://sketchup.google.com/product_3dwh.html.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Assistant Match Director

Black Creek Shooters' Association IDPA

Mechanicsville VA

post-2561-1188338830.jpg

Thank you, I will start using this program for our matches as well.

It really helps when someone has done all the tiresome work and created models of targets, walls and so on. I hope I can contribute in some way, even if we exclusively use the classic targets.

Thank you, I will start using this program for our matches as well.

It really helps when someone has done all the tiresome work and created models of targets, walls and so on. I hope I can contribute in some way, even if we exclusively use the classic targets.

Roger:

Just replace any of the metric or IDPA targets with the Classic ones and you are in business. Let me know how I can help get you started.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

What's the dif between the regular and pro versions?

Money. The Pro version costs and Version 6 is free. SketchUp Pro has some good features, but all that being said, is kind of overkill for what we are doing.

Try the free version. If you like it, go Pro.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

• 5 weeks later...

During my CRO class in July, McMeanus mentioned SketchUp so over the past several weeks I've been trying it out as a means to rough in my 'homework' for the class.

That said, I've got a question for the experts since I've not found out how to do this in the user manual. One of the IPSC components in the online library is an array of several metric targets - plain, a no shoot, and various ones with different hardcovers. My question is, how does one go about 'extracting' just the targets one needs and (I assume) make a new component? As in, I pick out what I need from the array, create them as new components, and delete the rest?

During my CRO class in July, McMeanus mentioned SketchUp so over the past several weeks I've been trying it out as a means to rough in my 'homework' for the class.

That said, I've got a question for the experts since I've not found out how to do this in the user manual. One of the IPSC components in the online library is an array of several metric targets - plain, a no shoot, and various ones with different hardcovers. My question is, how does one go about 'extracting' just the targets one needs and (I assume) make a new component? As in, I pick out what I need from the array, create them as new components, and delete the rest?

Buzz:

SketchUp has some quirks but I am not complaining because it is free.

Here's how to put targets in your model.

Open SketchUp in 2 instances (i.e., 2 SketchUps running).

In the first model, download the targets from the 3D Warehouse into the model. You can also download any other items you might need from the 3D warehouse here as well. Examples, target stands, steel, props, walls, etc.

The second model will be your stage design. Copy and paste targets from the first as needed. Arrange to suit, save and you are done. I export a graphic file (*.jpg) to put in my CoF Booklet which is in Word.

I recommend saving targets and props to your local drive as it makes it a little easier to open what you need when you need it (less clutter).

Also, if you would be so kind as to save your model in the 3D Warehouse, it could be the basis for a stage in another match.

Let me know how I can help get you up to speed.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor