Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one else had issues with Sevigny front sights leaving the gun prem

Nik Habicht

Any one else had issues with Sevigny front sights leaving the gun prematurely? I lost my third one in a year and a half yesterday; my previous Bo-Mar fronts survived four years without failure, at a time when I was shooting far more rounds than in the last year or two?

The only other change recently has been a switch from 231 to Titegroup for my minor (132-13) power factor 147 gr. 9mm loads. Guns in question are a pair of 34s, one old two pin, one newer three pin....

And no, Erik Warren hasn't been near the older gun since 2004, and has never been near the new one....

Nik,

I went a little mental on my first set last year and snapped it. By the way you feel stupid when you do that, so don't. Since then as mentioned, a drop of blue Locktite, a 1/4 turn just after slight resistance starts. AND let it set up for 8 hours. Rest your slide upside down while the Locktite cures. Works. Several thousand major PF rounds later it's still there. My shooting could use a loose or missing sight declaration, but... :)

Jim

Nik,

I went a little mental on my first set last year and snapped it. By the way you feel stupid when you do that, so don't. Since then as mentioned, a drop of blue Locktite, a 1/4 turn just after slight resistance starts. AND let it set up for 8 hours. Rest your slide upside down while the Locktite cures. Works. Several thousand major PF rounds later it's still there. My shooting could use a loose or missing sight declaration, but... :)

Jim

+1

I felt like a dope after I had the sight express shipped and then proceeded to snap it off. Take your time and remember Locktite is there so we don't have to over tighten such a tiny screw.

Hello: Blue you can remove by mechanical means. Red Loctite you need to use heat. I like the new stick Loctite the best. It is like lipstick and you can control it better than dripping some out of the little tube all over your fingers and parts. I think you are on the right track. Thanks, Eric

haven't had that issue but I did have to send one back recently. After installing I noticed the front sight was totally crooked. Took it back off and noticed the little oval part that sticks into the opening in the slide was at a different angle than the blade itself. An obvious machining issue.

haven't had that issue but I did have to send one back recently. After installing I noticed the front sight was totally crooked. Took it back off and noticed the little oval part that sticks into the opening in the slide was at a different angle than the blade itself. An obvious machining issue.

Maybe not, sometimes there is a little wiggle room with the sight. I use the blue loctite, run the screw down till I feel a little resistance , then I check to make sure the front sight is straight. I place a unsharpened pencil flat against the front sight and see how it lines up in relation to the length of the slide and rear sight. Kinda hard to explain , but any straight edge placed against the sight should show you if it is crooked. If it is, I just use a small pair of pliars to adjust , then when it's straight, I snug the screw down about a quarter turn.

No, it was definately crooked. It wasn't even close. As I said, when looking at the oval portion at the bottom where the screw goes in, there was an obvious difference in the angle in comparison to the blade of the sight. When looking at the bottom of the sight, if the blade was straight forward then the little oval piece was pointed 15 to 20 degrees to the left.