Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Roller Handle For The 550b

Yesterdy I loaded 1,000 rounds on my 550B and ended up rubbing part of the skin off alongside one of my fingers. It still hurts. I think Dillon uses the ball handle so we'll break down in pain and spend another $30 for the roller handle. Being cheap, I decided to build my own. Really simple--3/8 elbow joint, 4" 3/8 brass nipple, a small piece of 3/4" plastic pipe (for the outside of the handle) and a 3/8 end cap. Cost was $5 and it works great--better leverage and much more comfortable. Now if I could only figure out how to make a homemade case filler.

If you are really cheap an lazy...I use one of those red shop towels. Fold it to quarter size and put it between the handle and your skin. Works better than a slick glove. Plus, I always have a shop towel...at hand. :P

Thanks for the great idea!! I went out yesterday and got the parts. Like an id10t I took the plastic ball with me to match up threads.... DON'T DO THIS. The ball will not thread onto standard 3/8" pipe thread, however the pipe thread fits fine on the handle. I got 1 90 deg elbow a 6" long nipple (I have large hands) and end cap. Home Depot gave me the 5.25" piece of 3/4" plastic pipe for free. Total $ 3.04! Works like a champ too!

THANKS!!

I got a 6" piece of pipe which fits my hand much better. However I loaded some ammo last night to try it out. The 3/4" dia plastic pipe was a little small, I found that a motorcycle/bike hand grips fits fine. Much more comfortable and free, at least for me. I found the only thing you have to make sure is that you suffeciently tighten the elbow on the handle. When seating the primer, you are pushing the elbow in the counter clockwise direction to loosen it. As long as you have it tight enough, it works great! I can see why so many people love the roller handle.

Thanks again!