Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

et45

et45

I thought it would be a good idea to write some of this down and keep track of it. Right now I am not shooting matches of any sort and do not plan to in the near future.I am going to work on some things this fall with a variety of guns to become a more well rounded shooter.

I am a member of two shooting clubs.Each has it's pro's and con's about them and today I took advantage of the Chattanooga Rifle Club's policy of shooting at sunrise on Sunday morning.The other club, Cleveland Hunting Rifle and Pistol Club will not allow you to shoot before noon on Sunday.I decided to do something that helped a lot back when I started shooting in pistol matches in 1998.CRC has a plinking range with 4 steel targets set up about 80 yds away.These targets are about 4ft tall and 2.5 ft wide and are a good way to practice speed shooting.You know if you hit or miss instantly by the sound.I used my Springfield 1911 today and started from low ready(there were other shooters present) and worked on target transition and strong and weak hand shooting.At 80 yds those trgts are a challenge to hit with the second shot,you have to track the front sight back in position to get the hit.Also you have to focus hard to hit them strong and weak hand as well.I shot around 250 rds today and felt good about my focus.I will do some dry firing and drawing this week and maybe go to the range after work one day.

Hell you are a well rounded shooter, not as well rounded as O'neil or Dodd but who the hell would want to be that round anyway. Whenever you decide to come back and play with us you can shoot in my squad anytime. If you want any company for practice let me know, I'll be at CHRPC Fri. about 5:30 PM to practice for ORSA on Sat. you would be welcome to join the fun. I am working hard in practice now I want to be a master CDP shooter, since I have not shot the classifier since Feb. I am still in SS now but my scores are more like EX times. Do what you gotta do Amigo, good luck on your journey.

Robin

Did some dry firing and drawing and reloading today.I found out today that we will be knocking off at noon on Friday so maybe I can go to the range early and try some new reloads for the Glock 21 and 30 and get my slug barrel sighted in on the 870.

Recieved an order of .38SP bullets from Masterblaster today and loaded up 50 of them.I am going to work up a practice load for my S&W 642 carry gun and incorporate it into my training as well.

Went to the range today and worked with my 642 Smith.I managed to get 150 rds ready and did some quick and dirty close work as well as accuracy work out to 12 yards as well.I also did a modified Bill drill(only five rds in a J frame)from low ready and I averaged 1.41 for five runs with all hits in the A zone.I don't know if that is good or bad.I was using a standard pressure load(4.5 grs 231 over a 125 gr bullet)the recoil was about the same as factory stuff.I also worked with a Glock 30 that I picked up last winter.Very accurate little gun but like all Glocks needs the sights replaced.I think the Warren Tactical sights with the U shaped rear notch would be perfect.I ran some Bill Drills with it also with times around 2 seconds but the hits were scattered.That the Glock 30 will move around on you if your grip is not firm is the lesson of the day.I am going to hang around the gun show this weekend and people watch and look for odds and ends.

I did not get to practice this past week or do any dry firing.I hate it when work and life get in the way of the fun stuff.I have half a notion to shoot the Tennessee state IDPA match next month so I may start practicing toward that.I have shot the last two so why break the streak?.I will try to dry fire this week and get in a live practice if I can.

I went to the range in the Prentice Cooper WMA early this morning.I was the only one there as is usually the case on a weekday morning.It was pouring rain but I enjoy the ride up there and back through the mountain gorge.I worked on target transitions and reloads.Not a bad session and I also picked up a lot of brass which was the real reason for going up there. :D

Edited by et45

I hate when a gun goes bad on you.I was practicing with my Ruger 22/45 today and started getting light strikes.I have had it for 10 yrs and it was well used when I bought it.I would say over 50k rds have gone through it since I got it.Anyway I got around to sighting in my slug barrel and I did not remember how hard slugs recoil from a bench rest :surprise: but i got it sighted in 2 inches high at 50 yds with the last 4 rds in one ragged hole.I didn't think a rifled choke tube was that accurate.This week I will dry fire and work on draws and reloads and try to get in a live practice.

I love the Fall season.Cool mornings,low humidity,and clear skys.Practice went well this morning.I focused on smoothness and sight focus.I need to work on reloads more but was very pleased with the strong hand shooting.I also stripped down the G17 and gave it a thorough cleaning and replaced the trigger spring as well.With the price of 9mm ammo going up I will most likely put this gun in it's box and throw it in the back of the closet after the Tn. IDPA match.I have no desire to reload 9mm so I will most likely pick the 1911 Springfield back up and play with it unless I decide to mess with my revolvers.Like I said I'm kinda skitzo.I am planning on getting a 21 SF next year so that is an option as well.It all really boils down to what company I will be working for next year(I am quiting my job on Dec.14) as to which sport(IDPA or USPSA) and which gun I will shoot.Some contractors work on Saturdays and time and a half will take priority.Dry fire and reloads this week and another live fire next weekend.

Edited by et45

I had a live fire practice yesterday,did the usual,transititions,reloads and failure drills.I will most likely shoot at CRC tomorrow and download my mags to 10 rds.I need the "match feel" for the TN IDPA State match next Sat.

I did not shoot at CRC today,I went back to bed after my dog and I went for our 90 min. morning walk and woke up at 9 am.I went for another walk instead and cleared some work related things out of my head.Dry fire this week and I think I will leave work early Fri.and get in a good practice before the TN.IDPA match Sat.

I took advantage of the rare rainy day and went to the range for my final practice before the Tn.Idpa match this Sat.I went through about 250 rds and worked on the basic stuff,reloads,etc.and also did a couple small stages.This will be only my 6th match all year so my game plan is to stay loose and shoot accurate.I am too rusty to try anything near "warp speed"(like I could do it anyway).So I will dry fire some more and lube my gun and get up Sat. morning and head on up to Manchester.At least that's the plan anyway(Always subject to change).

Well the rust of the layoff hurt me but not as bad as my Glock going full auto :surprise: I 'll tear it down and check it over then put it away.And so it goes.....

Edited by et45

• 2 weeks later...

I made it back to the range yesterday and took an old pal with me,my well used Springfield 1911 .45 ACP.I bought this gun back in 99 for $450.It is the first "Loaded" model they came out with and I like it better than the new ones they have now.I added a checkered mainspring housing/magwell and a extended mag button.I had a gunsmith mill a dovetail and install a thin(0.90) front sight.It is more accurate than I can shoot it and I look forward to shooting it this coming year.I plan to shoot as work will allow and try to shoot some big matches.I picked up a free match card for the 2008 IDPA Southern Regional at the state match a few weeks back.I also plan to shoot the USPSA AREA 6 match next year and if the TN Section match goes back to Dickson next year I will shoot that as well.It will take a few practice sessions to get used to a 1911 again but that is part of the fun.I plan to use lead bullets as well due to the rise in bullet prices and Master Blaster going out of business.I shot Precision bullets back in the 90's and loved them but when they got new equipment I did not like the bullets they put out.I may try Bear Creek but who knows.I do know that I will need a new IDPA legal holster as my Sooper Hooper sticks out too far.I will get a plain Blackhawk like what I use for my G17 and make my super secret no daylight mod to it.Blackhawk makes the fastest kydex holster I have tried(the non-Serpa )and is priced a lot lower than most makers as well if you get the plain matte finish model.Back to the Glock 17, I cleaned out the striker channel and checked the spring cups to see if they were chipped or what ever and saw nothing.The mystery of the three round burst is unsolved.

Edited by et45

• 2 weeks later...

Annual cookout at CHRPC on Sat. after the match. If your up for some shooting come on out. The lunch is free. The Precision bullets I just got look great, but I have not tried them yet. If you come to shoot get in my squad, I promise not to look at your holster!

Robin ;)