Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Molys with what powder is best?

steel1212

I'm currently using universal clays as titegroup was to smokey for me with molys. I won't use anything that starts with VV and ends with CHA CHING. I'm looking for a powder that is accurate with 180 molys, not very smokey, and somewhat clean. I like UC but I'm always on the look out for a better powder in the same price range. I've heard such things as E3 or Solo 1000? I can live with a little dirt but not a lot of smoke or reduced accuracy.

I honestly don't notice a smoke problem with Billy Bullets (moly coated) and TiteGroup. Maybe 'cause I can't see in close anymore, who knows. :) Are you shooting indoors much? Factory FMJ ammo is smokey in crumby indoor ranges. Just wondering. You are using two good versatile propellants. Hate to see you have to change them. And everything else gets pricey, some don't meter nearly as well too.

Jim

I honestly don't notice a smoke problem with Billy Bullets (moly coated) and TiteGroup. Maybe 'cause I can't see in close anymore, who knows. :) Are you shooting indoors much? Factory FMJ ammo is smokey in crumby indoor ranges. Just wondering. You are using two good versatile propellants. Hate to see you have to change them. And everything else gets pricey, some don't meter nearly as well too.

Jim

When the temps get up to around 90 with titegroup the smoke was like watching a civil war reenactment. On cooler days with no wind it was the same. With UC its not that bad and its my current load but I"m all ways looking for better ya know.

Another vote for WST if you want to minimize smoke... just be careful of pressure as you may be loading close to max to make power factor. Takes me 4.8 grains of WST to make 170 PF, which is only 0.2 grains under book max (Hodgdon).

TG is pretty smoky behind lead/moly in 40 cal. However, TG has been excellent IME behind jacketed 180's.

Also consider 231 for moly (NOT JACKETED) bullets... if you can deal with the temperature sensitivity. There are lots of threads on how 231 is temp sensitive, might want to do a search on that. IMHO 231 works great for IF you just want some low-cost/accurate practice ammo, or IF you are willing to create different loads for different temperature bands. I have found 231 to be very accurate and soft (again with MOLY bullets only), with less smoke than TG.

• 2 weeks later...

4.6 grains of Ramshot Competition under a Masterblaster's 180 (178 average weight) with an OAL of 1.135, got me a 164.5 PF at the Nationals (oops). It was 95 degrees the day I chrono'ed. I had been shooting this combination for about 2 years and never had a problem. Long story short, Ramshot Competition loses speed when the temp gets really warm as does WST, so just be aware and plan accordingly.