Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Buddy Bogey

nhglyn

We had to have our Golden Retriever "Bogey" put away this afternoon as a very sudden and aggressive cancer had caused his quality of life to deteriorate to the point this decision was made necessary this morning. We had him for 7 years and he was the best! He had such a wonderful temperment and loved everyone. He was certified to visit sick kids in the hospital and attended training classes with my wife at our Humane Society because he was such a good influence on all the other puppies and dogs.

We miss him terribly but could not let him suffer the way he was the last couple of days. My 25 year old daughter was terrific, staying with me and Bogey the last 5-6 hours, brushing him so he looked good, feeding him treats, and holding his paw as he passed away. The vet was absolutely awesome too, very caring and understanding. He had cared for Bogey since he was a puppy and having him be willing to come to the house so Bogey could die in the comfort of his own home was much appreciated.

My wife has been in Florida to help her parents and wasn't able to be with us. She got a chance to say goodbye to Bogey on the phone, he was always her "special" baby. It must have been extra hard on her being so far away and not being able to see him.

Anyway, say a prayer for Bogey and thanks for this place to mention our departed. The last photo of me and my buddy, taken just before he passed away.

Bogey_Last_Photo.jpg

Edited by nhglyn

That's so sad to hear. He sounds like a great dog. Nice that you could share his last hours in this life with him.

PS years ago I had a Golden Retv. that we got as a pup ... in the Winter-time .... and so we named her Winter Sunshine. We called her Sunny for short. She was so gentle & mild. By far my favorite breed of dog. They are so smart, and a real joy to be around.

Rejoice in the time you got to spend together.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

From all of my family, we're so sorry for your loss that words don't do it justice. We went through the same thing not long ago (11 threads down from yours) and know just how much it hurts. There isn't anything I can say that will make it better, but I can tell you that over time you'll laugh more when you think about Bogey than get sad. He knew your love for him and that's all that counts...he's in a better place and you did the right thing, as tough as that can be. From all of us, you can be sure we'll say a prayer for Bogey,

Bart, Laurie, Webster and Daisy

So sorry for your loss. Just yesterday at the vets office I saw a ~3 month old golden, they are such beautiful dogs.

Enjoy the memories of the 7 great years you had with him.