Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering getting into shotshell reloading

Craigar45

Eric.. a club down here.. just did a lead scrap/recycle... took the lead and redropped it.. so basically it's close to new.. they were selling at $22 a bag to members.. not as cheap as it was.. but better than the $45+ new shot is

People were buying 500 and 1,000 pounds..

<_< I did not real all the responses, ..but.. I used to shoot a bunch of shotgun several years of over 4,000 Registered competition targets + other shotgun games. I always liked my reload over a factory shell

I would buy 500 lbs of shot at a time if I could afford it.

had a Mec = they are nice, I went to a Hornady and I could load longer with less stress.

I loaded a bunch on a Hornady press with my wife drooping in the wad as I fed in a new hull.

Dillon made her a sweetheart deal on a 900sl and we loaded plenty on that including 28 gage.

Injuries with torn shoulder joints and our club closing put a big dampener on Sporting clays for me.

The 900SL is a nice press worth every cent. the Sporlar is great / maybe better.

I still have my $200 hornady press and I think the mechanical advantage it has over the other for the price makes it hard to beet

I balanced the load to the gun set-up so that I could shoot more targets with out stressing my self.

Jamie

Here at the club level, the price of shot is 41 bucks a bag. :surprise:

I really don't think it is worth it to reload for 12 and 20 gauge. Maybe if you have something less mainstream that Wally World doesn't carry it might be worth it, say like 16, 28 and .410 gauges. Or if you want to make your own low recoil buckshot or slug loads for 3 gun.

Me? I don't have a shotshell reloader, well, because I don't have a shotgun in any of those "exotic" gauges.

It has been interesting reading in this thread about presses you don't hear about but once every other blue moon.

A hydraulic or pneumatic 650 or 1050 with a KISS bullet feeder would be sweet!

EricW,

Shot, in volume, is around $38.

The "low-end" shells are now $6.25 per box "out the door".

Using one of those "cost calculators", re-loading 1 oz is @ $ 4.40 per box.

At $50 per bag, it would be $5.12 per box.

Big change from just 4 months ago...again from what I see and pay.

I have a Hornady Apex and a Apex 3.1. I love the Apex and have it set up for 1oz loads. Sent the Apex 3.1 to hornady for some problems I was having they called and said it would cost me $55. to repair but when i got it back it only cost $28. they replaced some parts under warranity. My son and I shot ATA trap and I load for register targets. He also shoots in 4-H in competition but he shoots new shells. I still have some supplies to finish this year after that depending on the cost of supplies if I will reload more.

My load is

Winchester Gray or Red hulls

Winchester Primers

Claybuster CB1100 wads

Nitro 100 16.0gr

1oz 7.5 shot

Average 1212fps

out of a Browning BT-99 34" Barrel.

I use this load for singles & Handcap. I used to load different shells for different yardage, but found I can miss with whatever I shoot with, and i can get alot of loads out the supplies.

• 3 months later...

revisiting the buy ver. reload theme of this thread. winchester AA are 7.60ish from wal-mart and 8 something everywhere else i looked. I hadnt seen this thread before but my recent purchase sent me searching the forum for info. I just ordered a new Hornady 366 today.

thought I would load some spreaders and various other loads for 3 gun on it.

Ironically enough, a friend just got me a 650jr from a yard sale for $10... I was about to buy a PW, but at $10 this one is more than adequate. We are looking into making a shot maker too since we have a pretty solid source on free lead, and my buddy is already set up for casting. Shot is $40-50 a bag here depending on whether you have a coupon for Sportsman's Warehouse. If I can make 1.5-2 bags an hour in a shot maker, I will be way ahead of the game.

C

Ok, I ran the shotshell calculator and came up with a $2.75 savings per box when buying 1,000 components at a time and 50lbs of powder.

Anyone have any different calculations? Sounds like it may be time to invest in shotshell reloading.

• 4 months later...

I bought my first shotshell reloader about 3 weeks ago. It is an RCBS Grand; which cost 499 new at Scheel's All Sports in Eau Claire WI. It had been on display and some twerp stole the primer transfer mechanism and the bushings out of the measure. I found this after I got it home. Called RCBS and they shipped me the missing parts and an extra set of bushings that same week.

Recob's in Prairie du Sac has Promo powder for 75.99 and clone wads for 73.99 for 5000, Fiocchi 616 primers for $110 per 5000.

At 17.5 grains of Promo, and a 1 ounce charge of Lawrence Magnum shot (35.99 per 25 bag at Monsoor's in Lacrosse WI) bought 2000 hulls for 5 cents a piece delivered to my house. Figuring a life of 5 reloads, I get a total cost of 4.02 a box. And I am getting a hardened shot load. These break birds as well as Win AA and much better than the WalMart cheapos of any brand.

I figure that with WalMart charging 7.57 a box for Win AA the differential is 3.55 a box, it will take 140 boxes to pay for the press. As for my time, if I wasn't reloading I would be posting here. Or watching (puke) television. I shoot about 4-5 boxes a week so in 8-9 months it will pay for itself.

Edited by Michael Carlin

Had a mec 9000h it was nice. But since I own a dillon 1050, i wanted a kick ass shotshell loader and bought a Spolar Gold!!!! It is the BEST made! Try loading STS hulls, they are one piece unlike the new crappy AA two piece!

By the way I read up this post that someone would like a Hyd 650....Call Carter Spolar at spolargold.com he is making hyd setup for 650's!!!!!!!!! Talk'd with him last weekend at San Antonio at the World Skeet shoot about his 650 setup! Trying to get him to make one for the 1050!

• 2 months later...

Just trying to wrap my head around the idea of reloading shotgun shells, with all the changes in fuel prices, lead and raw materials, does it make sense to start reloading shot shells again for someone who goes through about a 2 cases a month?

thanks for the input. :cheers:

Just trying to wrap my head around the idea of reloading shotgun shells, with all the changes in fuel prices, lead and raw materials, does it make sense to start reloading shot shells again for someone who goes through about a 2 cases a month?

thanks for the input. :cheers:

Yes, but you don't need to invest in an expemsive reloader if you are going to shoot one caliber. Just buy a MEC 9000 progressive on ebay that is in good shape. They are well built and will meet your needs for years. Basically, you'll get top off the line ammo with the load you want at below cheap ammo prices.

Besides, what else are you going to do this winter...

That's part of the problem, winter as I know it is right now high's in the low 80's and local matches that run just about every week! Thanks for advice. Suggestions on the best place to buy materials in bulk? :cheers:

Merry Christmas...Go Gators!

flg8r

Suggestions on the best place to buy materials in bulk?
http://www.gamaliel.com/

Give them a call and see what you can work out. For me if I did an order of $1500 or more they will pick up the freight and the HazMat plus knock a little bit off the lead shot price. Since the bulk of the order will be lead shot picking up the freight is a big deal. The $1500 floor is for anything. Shot, primers, powder, etc. You just have to find a way to unload it off the truck. A commercial address is preferable.