Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering getting into shotshell reloading

Craigar45

I have been thinking about loading my own shotshells lately... I currently load metallic cartridges on a Dillon 550, and I love it. I would love to have the Dillon SL900, but I know it would make my 550 seem slow and tedious! Not to mention the cost of the SL press. I can easily get a Mec 650 for well under $100 though... Anyone have feedback on shotshell presses? Coming from a Dillon 550, do you think I will be satisfied with a Mec 650? I just cant justify the $900 for the Dillon. Suggestions welcome.

C

I would never suggest a non-progressive press for shotshells and like metalic reloaders, buy as much press as you can afford and you won't be sorry in the future. ;)

That said, I've stopped reloading shotshells due to the price of components vs low cost loaded ammo. Unless you are going for some custom loads, factory will suit you fine and cost less.

You do realize that the components to load a 12ga shell are about $4.50 and that you can still buy shells for $4.50 a box?

Lead is now $36/bag at the discount store. If you *really* want to reload shotgun shells, I'll set you up with a MEC progressive and what components I have left over. We're not that far apart.

If you never shoot more than 4 boxes a week a MEC sizemaster isn't so bad. But the 9000G is the way to go.

However, Eric is right. Listen to his advice. And then go buy his MEC anyway :cheers: .

I've seen where Remington has already planned to increase ammo prices 15% or more in Jan. 2008.

And let's look at shot. One year ago lead was like 49 cents a pound and we were paying 26.00 a bag locally (club price). Recently lead hit over 1.50 per lb., today its about 1.35. Shot is 32.00 a bag at our club now.

If lead stays where it is now, when things catch up I hate to imagine what shot will cost.....and ammo.....and bullets :angry2: !

Edited by JD45

You do realize that the components to load a 12ga shell are about $4.50 and that you can still buy shells for $4.50 a box?

Lead is now $36/bag at the discount store. If you *really* want to reload shotgun shells, I'll set you up with a MEC progressive and what components I have left over. We're not that far apart.

This is just the kind of info I need! I knew components (namely LEAD!) have been going up in price, but I didnt know it was already a wash. Thanks for the offer on the press Eric... I am leaning toward "no", but I will keep you updated. I am probably going to the Spokane Area 3-gun match at the end of September; perhaps I will see you there?

I buy Estate by the case for practice at ~$42, but I like to run AAs or 27 Nitro for matches. Perhaps I will consider hand loads for just for match ammo since I still pay $6-$7 a box for the good stuff.

Jax, thanks for the suggestions- I havent heard of PW or Spolar, but I am looking it up as we speak.

Thanks all!

C

I load 12 ga on a Hornady 3.1 Apex with gas assist. The press is a little fragile and has been discontinued but I would recommend it if a good used one could be found. Hornady is good regarding parts for this, although, unlike Dillon, they charge for the parts. The press is progressive and I also use it to load slugs for 3 gun. I also use a MEC 9000-G to load 28. It is not as fast as the Hornady mainly at the wad insertation step and has its own quirks but is O.K. but not a smooth as the Hornady. Loading 1 oz loads and $25/25# shot my cost per box is about $3.25. $30 shot would add about $.30 per box.

I started with a Dillon and and now I am loading on a Spolar hydro.

At the time I was shooting a lot of shotgun as the range was on base and 25 birds were only 2.50. Now the base skeet range is closed and I still have 1,800 pounds of lead shot in my garage.

I really like the ability to load 1,000 rounds an hour of whatever gauge and not even pull a handle.

The Dillon was good, but marginal for 28 gauge. I mainly went to the Spolar cause I could and it loads 16 and 410, where the Dillon doesent.

About the only thing I load for shotshells is specialty ammo that no one makes. I generally make a few on my Sizemaster but actually have an 8567 Grabber that I used to make ammo with. I've recently looked at my stock of components and I have a fair amount of stuff from before the price increase, the main problem I have is 500 pounds of 9's and I need 7.5's. I also used to load my own steel shot for hunting but with current prices and performance of Kent Fast Steel, any advantage I had is now a moot point. At least the price of steel shot has come down considerably.

As of now it's a wash. Unless you want to go with an upper end load or have a need for something custom, you won't save a dime.

Using the "Shotshell Reloading Cost Calculator" and the components below which is about the cheapest combo you'll find anywhere the cost comes to $4.18 a box.

Alliant Promo - $85 / 8lb

Fiocchi Primer - $105 / 5000

Wad of your choice - $67 / 5000

Hulls - Free

Shot - $38 / 25lb

But I still reload anyway. I'll continue reloading until factory is cheaper than reloading. Why? Because I like to reload.

For bang for the buck you can't beat a MEC. I picked up a MEC Grabber on eBay for under $100. Since you, like I, run a 550, the basics of progressives are the same. However the MEC compared to the 550 is a bit more finicky. If you get a MEC also get a copy of MEC Reloading Secrets. It saved me ton of time in setting up the press and sorting out issues.

Now, before you make the plunge, how much of what gauge do you shoot a year? And what is the primary use of your shotgunning? (3-gun, clays, hunting, etc)

Now, before you make the plunge, how much of what gauge do you shoot a year? And what is the primary use of your shotgunning? (3-gun, clays, hunting, etc)

Thanks for all the thoughtful, informed responses... I am currently shooting 3-gun, and not much else. I dont shoot a great deal: perhaps three boxes a week for practice, and then another three or four a month at matches. Like I said in my previous post, I prefer to use more premium loads for matches. Cost is NOT everything to me. I too, like to reload. I like the simple fact that I can crank out some ammo when I need it instead of running to the store, and settling for whatever they have on the shelf at the price they want to charge.

I would like to get into sporting clays, so that would certainly up my consumption in the future.

Besides, I like mechanical stuff. I am the sort who would rather spend $20 and four hours to make a $30 item. :blink:

Damnit Tom, stop waving those fancy Spolars in my face! They sound sooo nice. Fortunately I KNOW I dont shoot nearly enough to get one of those! :D

C

-snip- I am currently shooting 3-gun, and not much else. I dont shoot a great deal: perhaps three boxes a week for practice, and then another three or four a month at matches. Like I said in my previous post, I prefer to use more premium loads for matches. -snip-

I would like to get into sporting clays, so that would certainly up my consumption in the future.

Sounds as if you shoot enough to justify reloading.

One little tidbit I've noticed in clays shooting. My reloads and factory ammo do not perform the same. There are small but noticeable differences. Not good or bad. Just different. What you shoot in a match should be what you practice with. Reloading helps keep that continuity.

I've tinkered with reloading buckshot and found the time, hassle, and money to develop the loads wasn't worth it. I just buy factory and be done with it. Buckshot and slugs is one place where the factory can make a better load than you can.

I like the simple fact that I can crank out some ammo when I need it instead of running to the store, and settling for whatever they have on the shelf at the price they want to charge.

That's a good reason to reload IMO.

You only save a little reloading, compared to "club loads", but you do control the quality and availability with reloading. You save over $2.00 a box compared to the AA or STS loads...if you feel that's worthwhile or you need extra "hard" shot, etc.

MEC Grabbers and 650's are very good machines IMO. They work "best" when set up for one hull and just "reload". Very durable/reliable and like most machines, a couple little "quirks" here and there!

I just have to add my $0.02 about the MEC Grabber press. I have two of them (12ga and 410) and for the money I think they are great presses. I like to think of it as the 550 of shotshell presses. It is progressive but you advance it by hand like the 550. If you decide to get a press, I would reccomend that you at least get a grabber if not the more high priced stuff.

Neal in AZ

Damnit Tom, stop waving those fancy Spolars in my face! They sound sooo nice. Fortunately I KNOW I dont shoot nearly enough to get one of those! :D

How about I post a pic of it... Just to make it easier.

Please do! The few photos I came across in my research definitely piqued my interest. I understand they share much design in common with Ponsness Warren? Who came first?

Anyone have any thoughts on why no one offers hydraulic/pnumatic assists for metallic cartridge presses?

C

I am probably going to the Spokane Area 3-gun match at the end of September; perhaps I will see you there?

Doubt I'll make the match, but I'll be around. I have a Mec progressive and extra components that I would simply LOVE to find a good home for. It's a bit touchy to set up, but once you're going, it spits out the shells quite nicely. You'll go insane trying to load for IPSC on a Mec Jr.

• 5 months later...
What kind of hulls are most people reloading with?
I use Win AA in either grey or red because I can get them by the bucketfull for nothing. Despite what you may read on the 'Net I've had zero problems with them.

Remington STS is also a very highly rated hull for reloading and would be my first choice if I could get them in quantity for free.

What kind of hulls are most people reloading with?
I use Win AA in either grey or red because I can get them by the bucketfull for nothing. Despite what you may read on the 'Net I've had zero problems with them.

Remington STS is also a very highly rated hull for reloading and would be my first choice if I could get them in quantity for free.

When I shot a lot of Trap these were the hulls of choice!

I have a MEC 600 that I bought more than 20 years ago. It still works fine. I don't do a whole lot of shotgun shooting anymore but I plan to be loading slugs for match use. I cast my own slugs so I believe I save a lot already. There are also rumors that deer hunting here in my area will soon be shotgun only and that means that I'd have to figure out a good load for shooting deer too. I already have all the equipment and components but I did not realize that factory loaded shotshells are so inexpensive. Personally, I don't think you could ever go wrong by loading your own ammo. Just look what we're gonna get stuck with after the next election. Do you really need any reason better than that to start loading your own?

Dave Sinko

I have a Hornady Apex press and I do NOT like it, plastic pieces break and it is very finicky. Maybe I am just spoiled with my 25 year Dillon 550 that keeps on ticking!

Thank you, I was just thinking about bidding on an Apex, now I know I do not want one even at what might be an excellent price!