Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very light weight high performance cars can get away from you REAL FAST...even if you are a seasoned driver!

Putting an arogant and unskilled driver into one...has the same result as handing A loaded gun to a chimpanzee.

The woman could not even safely drive the car out of the parking lot....much less do a burn out to show off.

Lucky nobody was killed.

Jim

Very light weight high performance cars can get away from you REAL FAST...even if you are a seasoned driver!

Putting an arrogant and unskilled driver into one...has the same result as handing A loaded gun to a chimpanzee.

The woman could not even safely drive the car out of the parking lot....much less do a burn out to show off.

Lucky nobody was killed.

Jim

Jim,

You nailed it with every line there.

I cringed, and on second thought, the dolt deserves it for letting her drive it. I thought for sure she was going to have a head on fatal collision when she left the parking lot. The asshattery :blink:.

Reminds me of one time I was out with a friend in his Ferrari F355 Spider. He is drunk and I am driving and we meet some girls we knew and ones we didn't ;). He says "let Bambi drive it, just go with her" She was drunk and I never had seen him do that. Well first all she did was stall it but she was pulling into a stall and its a very low slung Ferrari and was about to do 10K+ damage on a concrete curb. I screamed STOP and she did.

She said "Wow I have never driven a Corvette before" I said you still haven't, its a Ferrari and you just about did a lot of damage. She said "I don't give a Shi98"

Too bad Ferrari's are special cars and this one had a Tubi exhaust. Sounded just like a 90's F1 racecar.

Here's a video of what they sound like :) I miss driving that car.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...errari+355+tubi

I saw this yesterday and thought it was his fault for letting her drive it. I paid for my insensitivity. Got home and my wife had backed into my sons BMW. Only her 4th accident in 2 1/2 years. One was 60k paid out by the insurance company. Maybe this should be in the what I hate thread.

"Hmmmm.... lets see, no I don't think having an inept, arrogant driver who can't find reverse operating a 2,500 pound 400 plus horsepower vehicle during a burnout on a crowded residential street is quite stupid enough. What can we do to make it even more dangerous???? Oh yeah, lets wait until the pavement is wet enough that the 73 Pinto she normally drives would be be able to light 'em up for half a block. Yeah, that ought to insure that something ugly happens. "

"Hmmmm.... lets see, no I don't think having an inept, arrogant driver who can't find reverse operating a 2,500 pound 400 plus horsepower vehicle during a burnout on a crowded residential street is quite stupid enough. What can we do to make it even more dangerous???? Oh yeah, lets wait until the pavement is wet enough that the 73 Pinto she normally drives would be be able to light 'em up for half a block. Yeah, that ought to insure that something ugly happens. "

And take a video camera because there are plenty of nimrods out there that will do anything to be on the TV.

David C <_<

It was a "Superformance" cobra replica, they are very nice, that one was probubly $60K or more.

I used to build and fix them for a living as a mechanic at a shop called "House of Cobras", and I have driven dozens of them, all manufacturers. The Superfornace are among my favorites, they hande really well and are well designed. She might have been OK if she stayed on the throttle hard instead of lifting.

She might have been OK if she stayed on the throttle hard instead of lifting.

Why's that, Kory? Less launch with hi-speed spin?

(I want to be ready in case some dumbass ever asks me if I want to drive one. :D )

She might have been OK if she stayed on the throttle hard instead of lifting.

Why's that, Kory? Less launch with hi-speed spin?

(I want to be ready in case some dumbass ever asks me if I want to drive one. :D )

Some race car driving instructor could explain it better, but when you are pitched sideways with rear wheel spin, getting off the throttle and on the brakes hard when the car starts to act unexpectedly only serves to make the car behave even more unexpectedly. If you stay on the throttle, the car will probubly either straighten out or spin out rather than shift the center of gravity forward onto the front wheels (that are no longer pointed straight down the road) and suddenly turn on you. Instant transition from severe understeer to severe oversteer just makes things worse.

Most of the guys that bought Cobra replicas had one of the mechanics/builders take them for a ride in their own car when they picked it up, smart enough to know they lacked the seat time to drive the car anywhere near it's potential, but still wanting to feel what it could do. It was always a shame to put a bunch of time and effort into a car just to have some idiot total it out, which happened more than once.

You're pretty much right on. It has to do with weight transfer and it's relation to grip. When she acelerated all the weight transfered to the rear, however she gassed it so hard the power exceeded her grip of the rear tires...but most of the weight is still to the rear as she will still be accelerating. When she jumped off the gas, the weight transfers back to the front and wherever the front tires are pointed, thats where the car will go...if the transfer is sever enough, the back end will get too light and start to want to pss the front. You can do this in your trusty front driver too. Go to your local mall with a big enough parking lot...make sure there is nothing to hit...and start driving in a circle (left or right, doesn't matter unless you watch too much NASCAR) in second gear. Get going fast enough that the front tires are starting to lose their grip (you should hear it if you can't feel it) and then jump off the gas and see what happens.

If you get on the brake you can only make the spin worse.

She got on the brakes after she was already headed off road, so it was waaaay too late to recover at that point. Shee should have steered into the slide (right) and eased off the gas. to transfer some wieght and get the car to settle down...too much transfer and we'd see a tank slapper and she'd be off again a bit farther down the road.

My replica had 5.0 with only 350hp and it was the fasted/quickest thing I had ever driven (my previous hot rod was a 57 Chevy pro-streeter with an 850hp block 454 for a point of reference). My car weighed about 2,100lbs and with that little weight you don't need much motor to get moving. That said its still a car with a gas and a brake and you can control how fast you go. How does that person drive the family mini-van? Scary!