Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem Shooter

JThompson

I have a friend from the club who has been pushing some shots low. He came in during my practice session and wanted to check his sights... He shot a group and all were low. I took it and shot them and they were fine. I have never tried to help someone having problems because I didn't feel qualified... the last thing I want to do is make matters worse. He was really getting frustrated, so I decided I would see if we could figure it out. I noticed that his stance was very up and down... and it appeared to me he was rocking on his heals in recoil... . I loaded up a mag for him with a couple of snap caps in it... :) sure enough, when he got to the cap, he didn't really flinch, but leaned into the shot. So what he was doing is standing straight up and down and then, (falling) into the shot to keep himself up and down. I had him break his knees just a tad and bend the waist just a tad. All I was trying to do is give him a bit more aggressive stance and keep him on the balls of his feet.

Okay, he has the stance and draws fires and does 30% better right off the bat... knocking the plates down and almost no low shots. :) He shot a few more rounds and then I sent him home and suggested (GASP) some dry fire to help to keep him from leaning. I felt like he was my kid... do what I say not what I do... as most of you know, I do little if any dry fire.

Anyway, it felt real good to be able to help someone who was struggling... I only hope what I told him was right...........

Edited by JThompson

I only hope what I told him was right...........

The smartest thing you did was load a mag with a couple of snap caps. You can tell him all sorts of things, but until he 'sees' what he's doing wrong, long term improvement will be unlikely.

JThompson, if you helped a fellow shooter improve, it keeps the sport moving along, and he'll quite likely pass the knowledge on to another shooter, keeping the chain unbroken. Good job!

This is exactly how I taught the wife to shoot... loaded a few training rounds in the magazine with no powder, just a primer and bullet. It was hard for her to come to grips with what I was telling her, she had to see it for herself. She was kind of P.O.ed the first time I did this without her knowledge, but after that, she asked me very specifically to load her magazines for some remedial training when she was getting a tad squirrelly hammering paper. What a good sport :D

When I am practicing at my club and any club members are there I will always take an oppurtunity to assist them answers questions or invite them to try out anything I am doing.

Anytime we can be of assistance and help or be an Ambassador we all win.

Alan