Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More General Reloading Tips And Tricks

shred

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I couldn't agree more, 1-shot is the best.

That's one of the biggest losers known to the "loaded ammo tumbler." I know someone makes a fine grade corncob media, but its been so long since I've seen it I can't remember... Anyway, that's a good reason for the 1-shot, no more worries media in the mags worries.

be

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I messed up my .40S&W resizing die by running dirty/flackey brass through it. The carbide was damaged and was scoring brass quite badly - but before shelling out for a new die I tried the following:

I wrapped some 1000 - grit sand paper (is that what it's called?)round a wooden dowel, lubed it with oil and stuck it in the chuck of my cordless drill - five minutes of running the dowel/paper inside the die and it is as good as new - no need for a new die!

naturally, I won't be running dirty or flacky brass through it again. <_<

Hope somebody finds this useful. :)

• 8 months later...

I use a 1qt bag and spray the brass with Hornady 1 Shot case lube , shake it up and dump it on a towel to dry. While the brass is drying I spray some Hornady gun cleaner & dry lube up into my dies ( use the red nozzle) except for the powder die. You will need to lay a rag on the shell plate to catch all the dirt and crud coming out of your dies. Then blow a lite shot of compressed air into the dies to dry them out and your ready to load. I do this cleaning of the dies every time I lube up some more brass and it really makes a difference on the smoothness of loading.

• 8 months later...

Patches,

Thanks, I don't know how that got in there.

shred,

I thought about including that solution in the spiel, but decided I'd wait until someone asked. Actually, I don't use the Dillon lube because I don't like to waste time tumbling it off. I use (I think Hornady makes it) One Shot case lube. You just leave it on the cases. Actually, it may improve feeding; I don't really care because I never have to mess with it. But, if did need to remove the case lube after loading, I tumble it off by adding about a capful of Prep Sol to the corncob media. You can get Prep Sol at an auto body supply store. It's a brand name, so if they don't have it - it's the cleaner body shops use to remove absolutely everything before they paint. It leaves no residue whatsoever.

be

• 2 years later...

Zep PAR silicone spray works great as a lube. I put a couple or three one second squirts into a gallon zip lok bag, toss in a couple hundred 9mm cases and shake. The rounds are slick to the touch, and unlike the One Shot I used to use it doesn't get sticky if I leave it on. To reduce the slipperiness and the chance of grit and dust adhering to the cases I will dump a couple hundred loaded rounds on a towel for a quick rub down before storage.