Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Single Stack Magwell

Newguy

I'm thinking about buying the SVI s/s mag well, but I'm hesitating because it's pricey ($140). Anyone have any direct experience with it good or bad? Is it worth the cost over an S&A magwell (half the price)?

I picked one up off of a prize table. Its huge. Much larger opening than a S&A. Very well made and I think it will look good on the gun. I have not installed mine yet, but I am going to. So, while I don't have any experience with it to relate to you, I do have one and I'm going to take an S&A off of a gun to put it on. If they were available when I bought the S&A, I probably would have chosen the SVI just because the pistol is used only for competition and not carrying and bigger just has to be better..... :rolleyes:

I purchased one for my single stack 45 and really like it. It gives great support to the bottom of your hand for a much better feeling grip :D as well as a nice large mag well opening. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.

ss, according to SVI you need to use their ms housing. I asked them if I could use one ms housing I had lying around (I'd just buy the magwell) and their answer was that it needed to be drilled somehow. Since I've not yet seen the unit, I can't comment on what might need to be done and how.

Doug, have you tried or seen it in person? I looked at the web page and noticed it appears to be held on by a single screw at the base of the magwell. Does the frame need to be cut down like the Heinie? I assume the magwell must be drilled to hold the screw.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to DougC I ordered a single stack magwell from Pinnacle Guns (Mark Hartshorne). I sent him my ms housing to tap for the set screw. Mark's magwell doesn't require the frame to be cut like the Heinie and is _way_ bigger than the S&A--almost like an STI well. If your frame is already beveled, you can order the model for a beveled mag opening. This magwell blends so well with my Baer frame that it looks like it was hand-fitted. It's also exceptionally well-finished and for $50 it's a great deal, especially compared to the $140 magwell from SVI. Caveat: it's way too big for carry.

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/

Yes, it does overhang the frame like the S&A well, except more so. It will take Wilson Wilson 8-round mags but they sit pretty deep and are hard to shove in. This mag well is definitely made for 10-round mags. OTOH, take out the set screw and the mag comes off.

I think we misunderstand each other. I'm talking about the front of the mag well opening being larger than the frame which leaves a "step". That's what I see in the picture and it looks like it would be easy to hang up on that step. The S/A mag well doesn't come around the front of the frame at all, it's open.

Zalpha, sorry for the confusion, we're now on the right page. Yes, it does come over the front of the mag opening. But, I don't think it would be easy to hang up on the step since the mag is beveled and angled in such a way that it would be hard to do. I've been playing with it for 2 days now (50-60 mag changes) and it still hasn't hung up on the step.