Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.50cal ricochet

Rocket35

I heard him say at the end of the clip "yep, no more iron". I assume he was shooting steel. After getting tagged with a ricochet from my .40 2 weeks ago in the elbow at 1K FPS, and knowing that pain, I can only imagine what he felt. Concussion, anyone? :surprise:

On second thought, WTH was he thinking shooting steel with that beast? It's dimwits like that who make the steel look like swiss cheese and cause excessive splatter and ricochets. I'm glad he has a newfound love of paper targets. :P

I have shot 50BMG and 55Boys at steel. BUT a Looooooooong way away from me.

He was very close to that steel. I have shot 750gr Hornady any they don't ricochet like that, I think he was doing too many things wrong.

To close, wrong projectiles / ammo, STEEL

I have shot 50BMG and 55Boys at steel. BUT a Looooooooong way away from me.

He was very close to that steel. I have shot 750gr Hornady any they don't ricochet like that, I think he was doing too many things wrong.

To close, wrong projectiles / ammo, STEEL

What kind of steel would that bounce off of? I would've thought it would eat right through it.

I've seen the full-length clip (somewhere?) and yes they were shooting at steel. They even had the plate angled so that if the bullet should ricochet it would go to the side, but it hit the EDGE of the steel and came straight back! :surprise:

Ed

Depending on bullet, range, velocity, angle, shape and type of steel, a good FMJ or Steel Cored projectile will go off at very weird angles. We had a plate get a hole in it a few months ago and I hit it bang on the hole and the JHP went out of the range. That plate was leaning slightly forward to reduce this kind of thing. But I saw the hole, seeing as it was no where near the middle I thought I was safe. WRONG!

If he was using a Solid Bronze bore rider (designed to punch hole in paper) and if the steel was angled just so or was very thick and or very hard. Then it's on for young and old. Solid homogenous projectiles tend to deform more than they break up.

We had a guy here selling off some armour plate that he got of a turret of a ships gun, we just decommision 1/3rd of our Navy's fighting fleet. It was about 6" thick and harder than hell (I heard around RH400+) no takers as it was going to be difficult to move, it was a little heavy. I am sure that stuff would produce this effect. Remember that they angled armour on tanks to DEFLECT AP rounds, mainly UP. Ask any old tanker what happened, it is a sound that they all recall with fondness.

We banned old gas cylinders from one range as they always produced a ricochet, the only point that they would not slip off the tank was exactly at the centre as you looked at it, not the same effect as here but they all slid off the face,and they are not that thick. By the sound he was shooting at a substantial piece of steel. If they punch through or explode the sound is less ringy, more of a slap.

I suspect if he had the plate angled to deflect away to the side he may have straightened the plate and maybe angled it back. I always angle them slightly forward, that way any splatter goes into the ground, the worse thing that can happen is it falls over. It is unlikely to turn. I have seen 308 tracer go away at strange angles of steel. Look at any Dillon Aero video for what happens.

BTW would he be interested in a slightly used, PINK motorcycle helmet next time he goes shooting. It was my wifes, she reckons he needs it more than she does. It will make him easier to spot than a sign.