Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocks and Moly coated bullets

unclez

I did a search and went through 3 or 4 pages but didn't find anything really related.

Anywho, With jacketed prices up I am wanting to try some moly coated bullets through my Glock. I shoot moly coated exclusively in the 1911's but have been leery of it with the Glock. We've all heard the stories of Glock and lead but what say you true 1000rnd per month Glocksters? Is this safe with the factory barrel or should I just stick with the jacketed bullets?

Not trying to start a war and I sure don't want to hear any KB stories. I want to know for a fact if this is safe or not before I try it because my wife is the one who normally shoots it.

Thanks

It's all I use. My stock barrel works perfectly with hard cast moly coated bullets. I use Rudy Warren's "Billybullets". The barrel gets cleaned after every match. (7+ matches a month) I try to run some jacketed factory rounds through it just before heading home. Doesn't happen every week but close. The FMJ stuff helps speed up the cleaning process. Solid reloading technique is required here. I inspect EVERY case. Each powder drop is visually checked. I continually chamber gauge and check OAL. Anything can and will happen to guns (any gun) trying to function with junk ammo. FWIW.

Jim

No I haven't. If anything it's less. But then I don't allow it to build up to begin with. The polygonal rifling doesn't work with swagged or "soft" lead bullets. Much trouble to be had with soft lead.

Jim

The most accurate load for my glock 34 is bullseye over a 150 gr. MasterBlaster (.357) bullet. The smoke is a smidge more than FMJ and just as clean in the barrel.

It greatly surprised me (and my friend) for whom I was testing this load. He had some bullseye and MB pills he wanted to see if it worked in a glock.

It worked so well, he ended up buying a g34 and I switched to this load. More accurate, and less expensive. It was a slam dunk.

Plus I haven't had to clean more and no leading after 5k down the barrel.

Hope that helps.

Well, I think the reports of "no leading" or "less leading" are a bit exaggerated. There's a lot of loose crud after each session with MB in my G35, a few swipes with a brush removes that. However, there is a persistent fouling in the rifling that no amount of brushing seems able to dislodge. The good news is that it builds to a certain point, and then seems to maintain that point. Also, it doesn't negatively affect the barrel in any way that I can determine. The only way to get it completely clean is a box of copper ammo, but I've run 5-6k rounds through (with brushing between sessions) without running copper, no problems.

H.

I have shot some (few thousand) moly coated bullets through my G-34 and there has been no problems. There was no leading or build up of any kind. I just cleaned the pistol every 500 round or so and it was fine.

I have run probably 10k to 15k of 147 lead round nose bullets through it, too. I use a copper scouring pad on a jag to clean the bore and have not noticed any leading.

I think you should shoot whatever load and bullet you want. Then inspect it every 100 rounds for 500 rounds and see if you see any undesirable issues. If there are none, and I don't imagine there will be, enjoy.

Buddy