Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

feed ramps

chi

Does anyone know how to shape the feed ramp on a barrel?  What tool or Demel bit would I use?   And how do you do it?

I have a 40 gun and the bullets sometimes hits the ramp and stops.

It seems to me that it might need a grove or less of a steep angle.

Or should I leave it to a pro?    thanks

chi,

It shouldn't take much.  If you have to alter the angles, then something likely isn't right...from the start.  You can use a dremel to polish.  Use a felt bob with a mild abrasive polish.  (Finishing with the technique that BD decribes would be great)

Of course, your bullet shape and OAL could be a factor too.

BTW, what brand of gun and barrel is it?

(Edited by Flexmoney at 1:12 pm on Oct. 6, 2002)

Flex, it is a SV wide body and the a Schuman barrel in 40, from the factory.    The bullets I am using do have a blut shape to it.   But I think the springs in the mags might be to blame.   The one mag that does this I notice the first round pointing into the ramp and not upward like the other mags.    

I did order some new springs and will use these without cutting or clipping the last few coils.  

I think I will bend the top coil upward.   thanks for all the inputs.    Any thoughts on what I will do.  thanks

My para was having feeding problems with the rounds loaded to 1.16.  I took them out to 1.19 and they feed fantastic.  I never though that little bit would such a HUGE difference but it did.

TMC - I had the very same problem in my factory SV.  I don't think it really as anything to do with a wrong angle, its just getting the right ammo OAL for your rod.  The most reliable OAL I've found is 1.185-1.187".  I believe DBChaffin (member here) and I run the same OAL and we bought our SV's at the same time.

As far as bullets, I've run Zero 180 JHP's, and Star JHP's in 180 and 165.  The Stars run the best and are the most accurate I've found so far.  

I would make sure that you have good springs in your mags (are they SV tubes?).  I would also polish the feed lips and make sure that the front of the feed lips are to spec (which I don't remember the spec right now).  

When it finally runs right, which does take some tinkering, you will love it, I'm sure.

plus, to me it sounds like you're having mag problems more than feed ramp problems (I fell into that trap once before, nearly ruined a perfectly set-up .45 in the pursuit of a *gun* problem that didn't exist).

--Detlef