Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.86 reload w/tec-loader

TMC

After seeing a guy do a 1.55 from the belt I wanted to see how fast my stick on the ramp thingy was. I did 3 runs, an

, a .91 and my 3rd was a .71 but the batteries died just as the shot broke :angry2: Edited by TMC

You came with the sickness!

Are you talking about this guy with the 1.56 reload?

Docter Dude

Yup that's the guy.

What I don't understand is the the text, it says; total time 1.86 Shoot one-reload-shoot one, Reload time 1.69. Why did they subtract .17?

Edited by TMC

Not seeing the video, I can only imagine that it is something that Jake came up with years ago. Attaching his first tec loader to a ramp under the trigger gaurd. This basically puts 4 shells at your finger tips. The bad news is.....with all the extra weight, even a remington is questionable on function (Jake can start with 16 rounds in his gun, +4 on the loader for 20 rounds).

And......as everyone knows, 4 round tec loaders just are'nt enough in one load any more to be competive.......the trend seems to be going to 6, 8 and 10. With most people settling on 8 round loaders. I believe having a stick with 8 'at your fingertips' is just not going to function......for sure on a Benelli, haven't even seen anyone try that with a Benelli yet. Now, in USPSA it might work, as you can only have 10+1 in the gun. But for IMGA.....you may just want to keep the sticks on your belt or chest.

The speeds do sound impressive to say the least though!!!

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

TRUBL is right, I did copy Jake, with his blessing. He's right about it only being good for one reload but at the Superstition Mtn match this year it was perfect, the highest round count on a shotgun stage was 14. It has also come in handy at certain matches when a quick reload between arrays can save some time. If its a big 20+ round deal where I'll have to load 8 or more then I don't bother with it.

As for reliability it doesn't foul things up at all now that I got it figured out.

Way to go Todd. So did a 1 round reload? Have you tried it with 4 yet?

Great job dude! It'll be nice to come home and practice with you and Chris!

Rich

ETA: On a 2nd listen, heard 4 rounds. AWESOME!

Edited by uscbigdawg

Watch Burkett's Shotgun Mastery DVD - Part 2, Reloading... He'll turn similar times off a left side Tec-Loader pouch (the 1.5-1.6 times, obviously...). Looks pretty impressive... and... no "super speed shotgun pouch" required ;)

I'm with you Todd. For those SHORT stages y'all had at SMM3G, it'd be perfect. Heck, depending on locale of the match, I'll tote my Remmy with the 15 round tube on it along with the Benelli and decide which gun when I get there after hearing about those stages.

Rich

Not sure how I do this WITHOUT a shameless plug for Nordic......at the SMM3g last year, there was atleast one guy that was able to do any of the shotgun stages without any reloads, and I think he won the stages where everyone else had to relaod. Yep...he was using a Nordic +9 tube. (12 in the tube, 1 on the carrier, 1 in the chamber....M1 Benelli). This same guy will probably be using our +4 tec loader extensions (really new) at the DPMS tri-gun in a couple weeks.

If you can load 14 (maybe even 15) in your shotgun at an IMGA match, the Jake trick is going to be a mute point as you probably can't use it and make the shotgun function 100%.......(it just seems that having more than 16 rounds on any shotgun makes them VERY questionable on function, when the majority of them are under spring pressure)

Still......I think that the Jake trick is VERY viable for USPSA matches, when you can only have 10+1 in your open shotgun

Edited by TRUBL

TRUBL is right, I did copy Jake, with his blessing. He's right about it only being good for one reload but at the Superstition Mtn match this year it was perfect, the highest round count on a shotgun stage was 14. It has also come in handy at certain matches when a quick reload between arrays can save some time. If its a big 20+ round deal where I'll have to load 8 or more then I don't bother with it.

As for reliability it doesn't foul things up at all now that I got it figured out.

Any tips on how to make it? Do you have some close up pics of the ramp?

Kind of hard to explain, but you need two button head screws in the tec loader and two 'key hole slots' in the rail to hold the tec loader in place. When you push on the tec loader handle, the loader moves forward on the normal loading notches and then it can drop away after you load the shotgun.

Yeah.....no good with out pictures......maybe I should just make them :)

We often discussed starting a stage with a tube on the ramp in some fashion but never tested the theory. Was thinking of using a rubber band or something that would break away but have enough force to keep the tube on the chute all without jamming things up or getting in the way.

Is there a rule that says you can't hold a tube on the gun with one of your hands before the buzzer and then go for it?

Maybe we just need a tecloader magazine attached to the chute and when you strip one, another one springs into place. Just like an AR mag!

Might have to experiment before the tri-gun <_<

Fastshooter03

Jake looked at the rules.....and came to the conclusion that this set up is legal, I tend to agree with him. The rules talk about shells and shell holders being attached to you shotgun....how you attach them is up to you. And if your shell holder (speed loader) just happens to be in position to be loaded into the shotgun....oh well.

There were some guys that experimented with attaching tec loaders to the sides and underneath their hand guards to allow for easy access as well.....and they were legal for USPSA. This idea is really no different, as far as the rules go.

Open class is such a nice division to push the envelope.

But if you are gonna come up with something before the tri-gun........go with a longer tube.....you can't beat 13+1 loaded in the gun!!! EXCEPT maybe 14+1 :)

Edited by TRUBL

Kind of hard to explain, but you need two button head screws in the tec loader and two 'key hole slots' in the rail to hold the tec loader in place. When you push on the tec loader handle, the loader moves forward on the normal loading notches and then it can drop away after you load the shotgun.

Yeah.....no good with out pictures......maybe I should just make them :)

:surprise: I think I am more confused now :)

Is it possible to take some pics when you have free time?

Oh sure, now everbody will have one

Here's a couple of quickie photos, I think you'll get the idea. You do have to experiment with the slot sizes, amount of tension on the screws in the tray and the length of the end of the tube so it doesn't hit the EZ loader gate when the gun recoils.

To do it right you also have to dissamble your trigger group to drill and tap it so you can screw the tray to it. That may be the easy part, remembering how to re-assemble it is the tough one :blink:

post-2055-1187019154.jpg

post-2055-1187019162.jpg

post-2055-1187019172.jpg

Oh sure, now everbody will have one

Here's a couple of quickie photos, I think you'll get the idea. You do have to experiment with the slot sizes, amount of tension on the screws in the tray and the length of the end of the tube so it doesn't hit the EZ loader gate when the gun recoils.

To do it right you also have to dissamble your trigger group to drill and tap it so you can screw the tray to it. That may be the easy part, remembering how to re-assemble it is the tough one :blink:

Thanks for the pics :cheers:, and you dont have to worry about seeing it on my gun. I am in South Africa :)