Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick Passing of a Pet

EZ Bagger

Yes, everything seems fine with her diet, and her intake of water now. I honestly just think she is getting old, and doesn't want to be bothered with us! I am also sure it doesn't help that we now have a 10 month old Scottish Terrier, and at times she can be outright annoying.

I think you nailed it right there.

I hope it works out.

Pet her while you can.

It breaks your heart when they die.

Our little Italian greyhound came so close to dying a few years back when she was only a year old. She has some kind of immune system disorder and when she got a kidney infection, the infection almost killed her and her immune system went wild and tried to finish her off. It was a gruesome thing to watch. By the usual standards, she was at the point where we should have given up (she stopped eating and drinking and could hardly move)> She had given up trying. But, we kept putting her back into intensive care for IV fluids and feedings to keep her alive.

I never prayed so hard for anything, and the deal I made was if she recovered, she would live like a queen... by the grace of God she lived and gradually regained most of her former self. Now she is back to flying through the house like a cruise missile. Her newest trick is she gets bored at 5AM and starts barking until we will go in and play with her.

She is spoiled rotten.... but I keep the deal I made. I never forget how lucky it was that she got better.

Edited by bountyhunter

EZ Bagger, deepest sympathy only time can ease that loss. Their hearts are so much stronger & purer than ours.

Glockster35, we have a similar situation. My wife and I have a rescued 10 year old Lab mix and a 5 month old rescued German Shorthair. Sometimes the old guy won't go out the front door unless the kid is on a lead. But we're gradually getting the younger one to tame down. Hopefully it's only a mental thing.

The wife took on 2 200+lb. jerks to save that Pup when he was only 5 weeks old. Climbed right up into the back of a barb wire strewn pick up with these clowns beating on her back, to haul the pup out. They had been playing hackey sack with the poor thing.

The fascinating thing is after all that the pup doesn't seem to have a care in the world. But neither do the 4 cats and older dog who share the house with us.

Ok, some dog advise needed. I have a 6 year old Westie and I saw a sign "Mini Schnauzer puppies 4 sale" shortly after leaving a match today. Anyone here have experience with how a 6 year old small dog would react to a new assistant on the K9 staff at home?

Westies can sometimes be timid (a fault). If this is your dog, a Schnauzer may not be a good match. The Schnauzer will probably be a much more physical dog than the Westie. But, if both are of good temperament and if you're willing to spend the time to train the Scnauzer you should get many good years from both of them.

Check out this link.

I spent a good bit of time and effort raising and training working class breeds over the years, and this guy would be my first choice for assistance if he were close enough. His website and his show on the National Georgaphic channel are excellent.

When we awoke this AM, the big dog was acting like her normal self, so I am not going to over whelm her with attention, and not going to play hard with her today, I will see how she does tomorrow before judging her all good! It has now been 5 days since she was her normal self!