Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
j1b

j1b

Thanks all. All in all things are good. Just learning and adapting.

Good news is I think I've been roped into shooting Area 7 this year so I'm gonna have to shoot a little to get ready for that. A few impromptu conversations at SHOT show and poof ... I'm committed to a match.

Hopefully see some of you out and about as I once again begin thinking about knocking some rust off the ol' blasters.

Jack

Registered for Area 7 tonight ...

When I think about it, that's a big step. Definitely a change in ... action. 

I've never shot Area 7 so that's exciting by itself. I haven't ... in maybe 15 or 20 years registered so early for an area match. Not sure when I shot my last area match but I would guess 10 years ago. Steve Broom, rest his soul, beat me like a rented mule at area 4. 

We'll see how all of this goes. New gun ... a SIG P320 ... will be the first non-springfield armory gun I've competed with in ... a long time! Probably 25 years. 

I'll confess my hesitation about this. My ... concern ... that I'm going to suck. 

Still .... exciting to know a somewhat major match is in my future.

J

Issues ... 

So the Area 7 deal is booked. It's gonna happen.

I've commented in the past ... it's been 20 + years since I've shot a nationals. IDK how long since an area match ... but probably 10-12 years.

So those that know ... know. First off shooting is a perishable skill. 

Second ... I am getting old. Out of shape ... which is my own fault. But also my eyes. They are just slower. And then I think some meds prescribed give me a small bit of the shakes. 

It's all so frustrating. I'm starting to re-engage at an age where things just aren't what they used to be. 

If there's a young person that reads this diary I would say this - do it all. do it now. Because you may not be able to do it later. It'll be incremental decay. But when it's time to step up you'll realize why old warriors are so few and far between.

12 hours ago, j1b said:

Issues ... 

So the Area 7 deal is booked. It's gonna happen.

I've commented in the past ... it's been 20 + years since I've shot a nationals. IDK how long since an area match ... but probably 10-12 years.

So those that know ... know. First off shooting is a perishable skill. 

Second ... I am getting old. Out of shape ... which is my own fault. But also my eyes. They are just slower. And then I think some meds prescribed give me a small bit of the shakes. 

It's all so frustrating. I'm starting to re-engage at an age where things just aren't what they used to be. 

If there's a young person that reads this diary I would say this - do it all. do it now. Because you may not be able to do it later. It'll be incremental decay. But when it's time to step up you'll realize why old warriors are so few and far between.

So very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, i would certainly agree !!!

Quick update.

As posted, Area 7, in about a month, is happening. Up until a little over a week ago I'd prepared very, very little. 

Actually, that's not entirely true. I got a new gun, a SIG P320 X5, and so there's just been some work getting that gun where I want it and also getting all the needed gear together. Buying the gear is easy, researching it is a different story. Amazing how much more complex the game is these days in those regards although I had sponsors back then so maybe that just made the decision process easier ... who knows?

Regardless, got all geared up.

And then a gang and I decided to shoot "Aiming for Zero" last friday. I had prepped ... not at all. 

Aiming for Zero was a disaster for me in terms of shooting. I actually was embarassed with how I shot. I don't know what an acceptable performance would have been but I know that wasn't it.

So I came home from Aiming With Zero discouraged but also a little resolute to do something about it.

Dry fire this past week has been pretty good. Not just doing it, but really having goals, targets, times of relax and times of push. So I was just happy with dry fire this week. I really feel like it helped me start the improvement cycle.

So today there's a match up in Maine and I decided to get back on the horse after last friday.

I can honestly say, I enjoyed today. I don't know if I won or lost and I just need to remember I enjoyed today no matter what. I shot much, much better than Aiming for Zero. I had mistakes but they were manageable. No misses today. Actually one D and maybe 5 C's the whole match. 

Stage 1 had a Texas Star to start. Yep, had a couple of misses but outside of that was pretty ok. Honestly, I had swapped out barrels on the pistol last night and so a little portion of the first few shots of this match were just making sure the gun was shooting where I needed it to. It was not a perfect stage for me, but it was incredible compared to nearly any stage at Aiming for Zero.

Stage 2 was a short 12 shots with 5 poppers. It was quick and easy. I missed one popper twice and also flubbed the reload a little but again ... not disaster here. Full disclosure ... if I were at nationals and described these first two stages (and I was still competitive) the pressure of incremental decay would be somewhere in my mind. Small mistakes add up perpetually. But for where I'm at ... no disasters yet.

Stage 3 was a classifier ... don't know which one. I missed "where" I wanted to reload but other than that ... decent hits and relatively smooth. Probably a high A type score 

Stage 4 had some complexity with how to shoot the targets. I was torn a bit on this one and just decided to keep things simple. My first target here was by far my worst target of the match and a good reminder that you can't lose focus even for a moment in this game. But I shot a C and D on this target. All A's on the remaining 9 targets. There's no question I was a little slower on this one. SHooting some 15 yard targets and I wanted to get my hits. Could have been better, and faster, but also didn't implode.

Stage 5 was the "goat rope" stage of the match. The risk here was we had to retrieve our mags and it was a 20 shot course. I gambled ... shot 10 and 10. I was very deliberate with shots as a result but all in all it was pretty solid. Any GM could have shot the stage faster ... no question. I knew the shots had to be there with my skill level so I was very deliberate. All in all ... I survived a stage that definitely had a disaster factor associated with it.

Stage 6 was a 12 shot classifier. I dropped two points and shot at mediocre times. I'd say a low Master, or high A classifier.

So all in all there wasn't a good stage but there were no disaster stages. A drastic improvement from Aiming for Zero. 

IMO nice progress in terms of getting ready for Area 7.

Come back to PA and shoot!

Thanks Pat ... good to be back in it.

Sure miss PA Vince. We had ten great years there. Really enjoyed our time in PA but as always life happens. Always a Pens fan ... so that'll never change.

While we miss PA I must say NH is epic. We've been here 7 months and love it. Just wish there were a few more USPSA and IDPA matches ... 

Shot another match today. Honestly, kind of snuck it in as I was not planning it. 

There were some GREAT shooters there today in production - like national champions and runner ups so I got a good gauge on where I'm at.

I won't go stage by stage - just some high level take a ways from the match.

My movement in general is really off. It's costing me a lot of time. That, I think, is a bit different than back in my days. Guys seem to be moving better than I did back when. IDK if that's entirely the case but it appears that way. Regardless if I was just moving as well as I used to ... in and out of boxes, into positions, etc. then I'd be much better off.

Driving the gun was a little better today, but still needs a lot of work. But better still.

The classifier I shot last week we shot again today. Times were actually better this go round and I was pleased with that. Again, driving the gun was better. Had a miss/no-shoot though so that ruined it. In all though that's a good thing - I have to learn how to run on that edge again. And I knew it as soon as I did it - one of the guys was watching me and he said I literally shot my last target while looking at the miss/no shoot knowing what I'd done.

One stage I just was pissed about because I just nipped a no-shoot. Barely nipped it. Had I not I would have been 99% of the stage winner who was like 2nd at nationals last year ...

Points overall were WAY better. I had no D's, and many fewer C's than the top two guys.

In the end though, I had to leave the match a stage early to make a meeting. So I zeroed a stage. THat's why I wasn't planning on shooting the match and that was the outcome.

All in all though, some progress. A LONG ways to go though ...

One additional thought.

I'm in all new gear this year. A new gun prompted a new gear set up.

I don't have much drive time behind this SIG P320 X5 but I have to say, I love this damn thing. I'm not going to get into the "is it better than your old XD" because I shoot so little it's tough to even think about comparing things. I can simply say that a few matches in with this P320 and I really, really like it.

That combined with this new Legion frame that is tungsten infused should be a pretty rocking set up. I'll buy the grip mod as soon as it's available and make decisions from there.

Area 7 didn't happen. Work came up. 

Pissed ... 

Was supposed to shoot today. And I think I was as ready as I was going to be. No live fire practice but great dry fire practice, some matches in, I was likely going to shoot ok at Area 7.

Some days I feel like I'm the reason I'm not shooting as much anymore. Today I feel like there's some other reason. Full intentions of competing today. Just wasn't in the cards due to a work circumstance.

WIll look for another match and continue to progress.