Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

j1b

j1b

Drives me crazy waiting for match results.

I completely understand this is a volunteer sport driven by people that have regular lives to live. I'm not particularly good at that ol' work life balance thing myself.

So I am not being critical - at all.

But man oh man do I want to know how things shook out....

Next few weeks will be no shooting. I have to play in a golf tournament the end of this month for work and .... Well .... I ain't played much golf the past ohhhhhhhh 8 years or so. Just bought some sticks and need to brush up on a game I don't hold in near the regard I do shooting, hunting, and fishing.

Robbie once told me he loved golf. Helped his concentration. I'm gonna run with that

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several things running through my mind right now.

First off results did finally post. Something is messed up with the scores, not sure why. I ended up 5th OA in the match and lost by 36 total points. But I need to do the math on the scores because something about what was posted is screwed up. So more to come there.

I guess the other thing is I may have shot my last match for the year. It's simply a function of time.

This golf thing is screwing a lot of things up. Two weeks to go and I'll be done with that. Golf is truly something I'm doing because I have to. It's .... Hate to say this .... It's bad time. Just not something I'm in to. As said before, it's a work thing and in a couple weeks that will be off the plate.

But then fall is here. I have an elk hunt in 5 weeks and haven't been shooting the bow. That has to be remedied, I need to be spot on for that hunt. And then we roll into some good whitetail hunts and then of course it's retail season.

So this may be the end of my range diary for this year. We'll see. Was blessed to get a few matches in and had a ton of fun!! Hopefully squeeze a match or two in before the weather sets in.

J

• 5 months later...

Happy New Year!!

Side thought - I do wonder if I say "this year has to be better than the last" every year?? Probably …. But I have a pretty good life so whatever ….

Done with shows for a little while, which is a great thing. The Archery Trade Show was good. Man I love shooting a bow. As soon as the weather breaks I almost religiously fling arrows every night after work. It just calms my soul and pulls the world away from me for a little while.

SHOT was good. You can tell there's excitement in the industry. Even figured out a new MSR I want to build, which I'm excited about. Still some thing to piece together but it'll be a good project to finish winter off with …. if I ever get started ….

The interesting thing this year, different than any in recent years, is I think I'm going to plan to shoot production nationals this year. For some reason, that bell is ringing. I've already started planning how much ammo I'll need, started thinking through drills to get the foundation back. Started thinking about when I want to start dry firing and what I want to start working on. Haven't started, but it's definitely in my mind. Likely will begin some work on it this weekend. And I have to find a place to practice. Practice to me isn't a social thing, I need a place I can spend 90 minutes a session just on me, focused, dialed in, no partner training. Just me and the shooting working on the things I feel I most need to improve as best I can. That could be a challenge but I'll work on it.

To level set (for me and anyone reading this) - I won't be at previous year's levels. Just not going to happen. I'm much older, much heavier, haven't shot "for real" in years. I'm going to shoot, to see old friends, to have fun. Maybe I'll do ok, maybe I won't. But it won't matter. As mentioned in a previous post, I'd love to hear that "beep" at a nationals again. Just something about it ….

It is exciting to think about and something I've never even contemplated this early in a year in … well … 20 years or so??

Have a lot to figure out. But the good news is this isn't me 4 matches into a summer thinking "damn, I might want to do this" - it's me in the dead of winter not having shot since August thinking "damn, I might want to do this" which is different for sure. Knowing me, life will get in the way and this may slip by the wayside. But even my wife is saying I should do this, and having her support is everything.

So we'll see. Anxious to begin this year with a goal in mind. With objectives in shooting. The big challenge is I don't have a slot, and haven't quite explored how to get one. Hopefully I can pull some strings and get that little detail resolved.

All good though. A good start to the new year!

J

• 1 year later...

Alright, alright, alright.

here we go! I just read my last dairy post and guess what? It echos almost exactly what I would post this year. And that sucks. I didn’t shoot a match this year. So essentially shit didn’t happen.

this year Things again feel a tick different. I talked with Robbie for a good thirty minutes working on what to shoot. I again have been planning ammo and thinking about where to shoot. Been playing with the guns a bit and also planning on getting a new rig. Also different than last year i’ve Bought a few things to get the blaster up to speed.

so we’ll see. All of my thoughts this year are well before SHOT and that’s of note. My wife still supports me 100% so that’s all good.

One goal may be the single stack classic this year. Man back in the day what a match. My mind has been spinning on all of this and while searching the web I stumbled across the very first single stack classic results. All these years I thought I was third. Regardless what a list of people to compete against. Leatham, Myer, Edington, Boykin, Vickers, Hackathorn .... geez.

I pray and pray that this is the year. Hopefully a single stack classic, a nationals, and several local matches in between. Can’t wait!

(tried to post a pic of the ssc results and the file is too big ?)

This year feels different to me. I was telling my bride last night, I think I really want to do this.

I'm researching two ranges to see if I'll be able to set up and practice the way I need to. I've sent an email to one range and am planning a visit with a member at the second range. Last year, I don't think I even looked up local clubs.

I sent a note to a friend in the ammo business and am currently planning my load and arrangement of purchase so I can have all the ammo up front and ready for the season. Last year I asked, but that was as far as it went.

I've communicated quite a bit with a long time friend in the space to help guide me on where to start. Even talking through some of the frustrations I know I'll experience shooting single stack at the local level. That's all part of it, it adds a bit to the challenge, and truthfully it will get me shooting and competing. Necessary things for this journey. Deep down I think my friend is ... not excited but ... well I think he likes that I'm thinking about shooting again. I think shooting production would be a little easier, certainly more shooters, less expensive, etc. but there's an appeal to the 1911 that I can't quite describe. It is such a level playing field and the guns are so badass. 

At SHOT I'll be talking to some sponsors from long ago to see about getting some new gear. None of the sponsorships will have any impact of course nor would I expect them to. It'll be good to have the right contacts though and frankly to be able to talk to them with a degree of credibility about what I'm trying to do. That should be helpful.

So the wheels are in motion. The goal at this point is to get to the Single Stack Nationals. Honestly I would LOVE to get to the Single Stack Classic this year but we'll just have to see how this all plays out. I have a finite number of vacation and I value most spending that time with my wife so doing this takes a little away from that and I want to be sensitive to that. I may miss not shooting for the last 20 years but she's been by my side and helping drive our lives the last 20 years so she wins :)

I know some have guided to just get started with some local matches, maybe shoot an area match etc. but for me the goal has to be to get to Nationals. It just is what it is. If the journey doesn't get there this year that'll be fine but BHAG's (Big Hairy Ass Goals) have always been my DNA and that shouldn't change here.

To give everyone a hyper extreme sample of how serious this is - the other day I bought a gun cleaning kit. I mean seriously - for me - that's like buying a new house! If I'm gonna clean my guns then I am damn sure gonna get them dirty again. 

I will be posting regularly on the journey and hope for help and advice from those on this awesome forum. The support is selfish for me, it keeps me encouraged and is much needed so I'll say thanks in advance!

Jack

So, do you still have a singlestack from back in the day, or has this been an experience of re-gunning? Myself, I've been spending a lot of time with the Wilson EDC X9 lately; in fact, I have an article in the current Blue Press about how much I love this gun. Having said that, I do have to admit that lately I've been hearing the siren song of the singlestack 1911 .45 calling me back.

Hey Duane,

Great to hear from you!

To answer the question directly I'm going to be shooting one of the guns from my past. I have two that are leading the list -

First candidate is actually my first limited gun. It's a metalloy 1911 .45 that was build a hundred years ago. I shot several of my first majors with it and I have some profoundly good memories with it. I placed in the top 16 at an Area 4 match with that gun trying to get my nationals slot that first year (this was back when there was essentially open division and limited division so to place in the top 16 against the open guys I was pretty proud). I shot the first Single Stack Classic with that gun and I shot arguably my best match of all time with it at the CA State Stock Gun championship racing against all the hi-cap guns. At that match early on I got an FTE on a target (which sucked) but I loved my mentality towards it and shot really solid there on out to sneak in a win.

The second candidate is my Springfield TRP. It's a much newer gun. Where the other has probably 50K rounds on it, this one is less than 10K. I love the gun and shot a rock solid Arkansas State IDPA championship with it for a win. That too was a very solid match for me.

In general I like the TRP better and that's likely where I'll go. I LOVE the front site on the older gun so I may have to tweak the front side on the TRP but whether I do that or not I think that's the gun I'm going to go with.

We'll see how the dry fire sessions go but I am thinking about changing the magwells out on either gun. I've heard good things about the Dawsons and may be leaning that way. Of course if I find myself greasing reloads after a little practice with existing gear then no change will be warranted.

I will be updating my holster set up. I'm at SHOT on business this week but will find a few minutes to shop some new gear. The rules have changed and I just feel like there's some new technology there so that is a must.

Final steps for prep are actually winding down. One of the ranges I was exploring just came off the list - it closed. So I'm banking on one place to hopefully train. I'll button down ammo this week. I am going to buy some new mags - I'm leaning towards the Vicker's mags with Wilson. I ordered some dry fire targets last night that will hopefully be here in a few weeks.

After all of that it's just the journey. I was debating between Single Stack and Production and Single Stack just feels right. I feel good about that decision. There'll be some frustrations along the way but there would be with either platform. I talked a lot of this over with Robbie a week or so ago and again, it just feels like the right path. Matches around here won't start until March but I think with some good dry fire drills 3-4 times a week the rust coming off will take much less time. If I get a few live fire sessions in so much the better. I should be much better positioned to start match season this year than in many of the years past where I've just woke up one morning and said "Hey, I think I'll go shoot today"

The interesting thing has been thinking about training. I've gone a bit back and forth on this but where my head is at right now is really dial in on the basics. Work over really hard the basics at 10, 15 and 25 yards. Master the standards at 50 yards. Be very accuracy focused to begin with. Get brushed back up on strong hand and weak hand - don't lose a match because of it. Also be very focused on one shot hits to simulate steel which seems like there's much more of at matches. And reload like crazy. I think if I get the foundational stuff right then when I start working on movement, entry into and out of positions, awkward position shooting etc. that it'll come at a much quicker rate. The key will be to become a strong foundational shooter who is good at the other stuff and see what that formula gets me.

It should be fun. Again, I'm sure I'll get frustrated, but fun. I will be leaning HARD on a Pat McNamara philosophy - several of his quotes below that kind of point towards how I'm trying to approach this:

- A lot of people perform "outcome based training" or "execution with consideration of the consequences - will I succeed or fail"

- Performance based training (what he talks about and what I'm gearing towards) is "doing what we can with what we have"

- One of his quotes that is my favorite "When you consider the outcome it sabotages your ability to perform. The probability of achieving the outcome you desire will increase once you let got of the need to have it"

I don't know Pat per se. He certainly doesn't know me. But I've been a follower for some time and philosophically I am a big fan.

Thanks again for reaching out.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Always learning. I'm still "gearing up" for the Spring. I've decided on a holster rig but to be frank have had a bit of a hard time getting it finalized. It's nothing major, just working on a couple of things.

I'm a big fan of Pat McNamara (not sure if he's on here) for a lot of reasons. I like his thought process and what I know about his teaching methodology. And he's a badass. Ironically I think I may have met him 100 years ago but just don't recall. Regardless - 

He said something on a video I recently purchased that when you plateau shoot a bunch of strong hand. It'll reenforce the fundamentals and help break barriers. Made complete sense to me and that will be integrated into future training. 

Fun learning new tricks.

Jack

Ordered holster and gear today. So wheels are definitely moving. I wish it wasn’t cold as hell outside but I guess that’s what dry fire is for...

I think the first few weeks I’m going to work on some super slo mo stuff. Really plant in my mind exactly what I want to happen at speed by executing perfectly in slo mo. By my own admission I have never integrated this into a training regime so we’ll see how that goes. I foresee mag changes as being a challenge point. Used to be such a strength of mine but I’ve noticed when coming back intermittently that it represents a big challenge. Single stack will be that much harder. The slo mo work will allow things to be very smooth. I’ll know exactly how I want to be moving through the motion and my eyes will see what they need to in order to execute. This all should be helpful when the pace increases.

I am going to really challenge myself to 1) Think out of the box about what can be. Another way to say this is to challenge myself to perform as close as I can to what I know the gun can do. I can only do what I can do with what I’ve got (I can’t be more than I am) but I can “goal” to shoot as close as I can to what the gun can. What this doesn’t work towards (in my mind) is speed. It really centers around my second focal point 2) accuracy. I want accuracy to be a core strength of mine. I can shoot and generally shoot pretty well but I’ve never said accuracy was a strength. Hope to change that this year. Final focus will be 3) execution. I’m like many in that when the buzzer goes off I just go. My mind races and I charge fast as I can. This year I want to develop plans and execute to them at the highest level my abilities allow. While a bit of a “no brainer” it’s clearly an opportunity. My realization with this is that it’s just a buzzer. It’s a sound. That sound shouldn’t put at risk in any way the execution of my plan.

The big challenge in front of me now is a place to practice. That is yet unsolved but working on it.

Jack

No gear yet so some little dry fire drills. 

It is ... neat ... to me how the puzzle pieces seem to be kind of falling in place for me.

If I had received the holster and stuff tonight I would have suited up and started just seeing how good I could do. Without it I'm just gun handling. The cool thing is that it's been a while since I've done this and so the few repetitions get the arms a little tired. The checkering on the frontstrap is starting to grind some skin. None of it of significance but it is cool to be "building" as I wait. 

Last night I just worked on smoothly getting the mag in the gun. Sometimes faster and sometimes slower. Plenty of bobbles. The focus though was just handling the gun and getting the mag smoothly in. I had the gun laying around all night so when I felt like picking it up I did. I'd shoot a screw head on the light switch or something like that.

Tonight was a bit more repetitious. Some reloading drills still. Some pure play "accuracy" drills as well. The change was doing a fair amount of strong hand and weak hand shooting. Hit the screw head 5 times strong hand, 5 times weak hand - repeat. Probably did that ten times. Mixed in some mag changes and target transition stuff as well.

So the build is slow. Surprisingly I'm not frustrated. I know my focuses that I want to dial in on (noted in a previous post) and that's what I'm focused on. When I hit the range one of the things I intend to do is practice strong hand and weak hand at 50 yards. The gun can perform at that range so I should be able to as well. Hopefully these little drills will have the muscles, the mind, and the actions prepared so some minor adjustments at live fire will lead to success.

Kinda neat.

Jack

Went to an indoor range today. Once again I am liking how some of this is building at a gradual pace. 

Step one was I only took the TRP. I'd stripped it to the studs the other day and really cleaned it up (which was fun too, hadn't taken a 1911 down all the way in a long time). It was primed and ready to go.

So the goal today was to shoot accurately. That was kind of it. I worked at 10, 15, and 25 yards. 

I get frustrated easily. I let it affect me much less these days but the feeling of frustration will likely never leave me when it comes to shooting. And today was a little frustrating.

Did I shoot ok? Sure. I did. There were some highlights. But there were also some challenges. Letting a flyer go being primary among them. And my trigger control was just ok. 

Near the end of the session I opted to shoot 10 rounds at 25 yards. Head shots on probably a 3/4 scale, maybe 1/2 scale IPSC target. I was low and slightly right on three shots. I called one of them well but the other two were a function of movement at the shot. Clearly an issue with trigger control and not staying in the shot through the shot. I had three shots that were left. Again this was a simple departure from staying in the shot. One of those left shots was probably 4" left which is just blatantly wrong. Four shots were right where I'd like them to be. 

The thing to keep in mind was there was no speed here. I took my time, didn't rush, and just worked to get shots where they needed to be. I knew then and there that if I were shooting at 50 yards my accuracy would have been terrible. The good news is I know what I have to work on.

Another bit of good news is that I do feel when I start shooting more some of this will just ... go away. Not having shot in a while I think it just takes time to get back into the swing of things. I did make some good shots. Four shots dead nuts in the center of a small head at 25 yards is ok. Had a target at ten yards, saw a bullet hole I wanted to hit and put two right on top of it. A couple more were within 1/2 an inch to an inch. So the last good news is that I know when I do what I need to I will have the accuracy I want to have.

Not having a holster I also did a few drills of pushing the gun out and engaging the first shot. I know in general one shot drills are not of benefit but this was good just to start seeing what I need to see.

It's going to be a hill to climb for sure. But a fun one. I felt like I shot well shy of my potential today and had a blast underachieving :)

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

Shooting the first IDPA match of the year this year. Sunday is the day.

haven’t live fired much at all and have been sketchy on dry fire but am feeling like a few more sessions and i’ll Be able to assess just what exactly I need to work on. I like starting with IDPA - shorter more simple stages should help me prioritize accuracy and execution.

should be fun!

Edited by j1b

Alright, first match of 2018 is in!

For those that have ever read about my "journey's" this is yet another marked difference than years past. I'd say I have rarely ever shot the first available match of the season, and today I just did. Good stuff.

Ok so I really didn't shoot well. Told myself to focus on accuracy and I did, but did not execute. Really at all. It was an IDPA match and with the new rules a point down is really penalizing. My first stage I dropped seven points with the concious focus on points. This is GREAT news because it helped me understand just what the issues are.

Primary challenge is just time behind the gun. Not match shooting, just shooting. Practicing. These are things I am having a hard time finding a range solution for but I know I'll need to in order to get where I need to be. 

So I shot the five stages and everything was probably exactly what you'd expect. Pretty rusty in general. Just kind of "felt" my way through stages. I was glad it was an IDPA match because that meant some simpler, more focused courses.

I really liked how I was seeing the sights, but of course didn't love what I was seeing. Probably around the 3rd or 4th stage the light clicked on and I realized my accuracy challenges were really boiling down to trigger control. I wasn't pressing through the shot. Again I think this partially just comes with shooting more but I realized in that moment that was the problem. I was also shooting too low on the targets. Aiming more "center of mass" versus "upper third" which meant I would inherently drop some points because I'd be an inch or two low of the A zone on a low shot. 

Reloads were also an opportunity though I can tell the dry fire has helped. Definitely had some good reloads but also had some challenging ones. That's ok - comes with the rust. 

The last stage I had the fastest time the S.O. had seen yet and I dropped no points. It was just a small 12 shot stage but it was a nice way to end the match.

So I didn't win. I would guess I'll be in that top third somewhere. All of that is fine. It's great to get started so early in the year so that I can just take my time. Not feel pressured to get to a certain point before XX date. 

Today I accomplished a couple of things:

1) I shot a match. Never a bad thing. It's a necessary step to getting where I want to 

2) I was focused on accuracy but didn't execute - that's fine as well. The focus was right. 

3) I saw the sights very well. Really happy about that. 

4) I realized that trigger manipulation was at the core of my accuracy issue and was able to remedy that near the end of the match

5) I know now much more clearly the things I need to work on and I also know that as I keep at it those things will to some extent self remedy.

Wish I'd shot better but have no regrets about the match or the learnings.

Jack

I'll admit I am thinking about just shooting IDPA this year. IDK if that's where I will land, but it just feels like I need to dial in on something and stick to it. Shooting single stack IPSC and CDP IDPA just feels like I'm throwing a lot at it. Doesn't hurt that I started with an IDPA match today.

We shall see ... maybe once I'm shooting more this will all seem less ... dynamic ... but having a core focus seems important. IDPA also better suits philosophically a website I am working on. 

IDK - more to come.

Jack

Rebuilding is rebuilding. It is what it is.

Received the match results and they were exactly what one would expect. Pretty terrible on four stages, pretty good on one. 

If I'm being frank, I got my ass kicked. That's ok - I knew I didn't shoot well. Raw time I was 14 seconds off of the match winner. He was shooting ESP so there may have been a slight advantage but slim IMO. Nothing better shooting couldn't have made up for. He shot 7 points better than me or, under the new rules, he bested me by 7 seconds on points. Ultimately four other guys beat me and two of them pretty soundly. 

Again, that's ok. Could I find seconds on four stages I could improve on? Full seconds? Honestly? Yeah. Reloading could have been much better. Several times my gun didn't go to slide lock and that through me off (new mags already ordered, be here Thursday). I didn't enter or exit positions that well. One stage where I had to load up the gun and then carry everything with me I just didn't think through how I wanted to shoot the stage. So I was just slower. Period.

And, I wasn't shooting as well in general. Took me 3.5 stages to realize I wasn't working the trigger that well. In general though I was rough through the stages. 

So yes, there were 4 seconds or so a stage I could have been better. Maybe more. And the points are just a focus and execution thing. Shoot 10 points better, shoot 3 seconds a stage better and I'm able to pull off a win. 

Continue to shoot, need to practice, dry fire more. I realized tonight that I hate the vest I used yesterday. I hate it. It's terrible for what we're trying to do. So get a vest that works for a match and shooting. 

It's all a learning path. I hate that I got my ass kicked. Frankly, it just sucks. But that's the path I've chosen to march and now I must continue. Onward and upward.

Jack

It's crazy how much I know I'm just talking to myself here, but somehow putting it down publicly just helps reinforce the learnings.

Shot another IDPA match today. I casually did a search and found out there was a club about an hour from here that was shooting so I opted to go.

Let's first talk about dry fire for the week. Dry fire was very consistently focused on about four things:

1) Shoot at the right part of the target - as mentioned last time I was shooting a bit low on targets at the first match. I needed to stay focused on the upper third.

2) Trigger press, trigger press, trigger press. Don't slap the trigger. Get better execution of the press. I can't say in my life I've ever focused on that during dry fire but I sure did this week.

3) Strong hand drills, weak hand drills. Just to get used to aiming and executing since I haven't been able to live fire.

4) reloads - this one was amazing. I stopped being on automatic with reloads and just told myself "be intentional" I suspect the actual reload is a hair slower (maybe not though) but the ability to execute cleanly (for me) went up ten fold. Just by being intentional.

5) Accuracy. One of my favorite drills through the week was shooting the screws on the light switch. four screws, four shots, reload, four shots. Very deliberate.

So how did this all convert at the match?

Well, I shot much better than last weekend. Consitency was much better, accuracy still needs work but it was much better than last week. No major gaffs on any stage. A couple of slip ups here and there. Little things I'd fix for sure but nothing just outrageously bad. 

The new mags from Wilson were awesome. I had one gun hiccup and I think I just need to clean the thing. No biggie. 

Reloads were relatively pain free. Sure they could have been better, but no major gaffs.

IDK what the results will be. I really don't. Was I 27 seconds better than last week? Doubtful. I did have two -3's today. That's six extra seconds so there's still more work to be done. But the foundation of the shoot today gives a clearer path to progression. Last week I knew I didn't win. This week, I don't really know. While minimally different, for me they are night and day. 

So we'll see. End of March and two IDPA matches in. Yes, yes indeed. Sure feels like this year could be different.

Jack

It was Bill, I noticed you were there as well.

The points down just killed me today. No getting around it. Just gotta get better. But decent progress and I think if it continues we’ll be in a good place.

Would love to meet up next match Bill. Sorry I missed you today.

jack

Haha, yes I had a -3 on that stage to start with.

it’s interesting as I thought more and more about it. Back in the old days “shooting points” meant less down, not nothing down. I certainly got better last match but still had 20 seconds in point. At least 6 of those seconds came in -3’s. I can’t think “less points down” - I have to evolve to no points down and that is a bit of a paradigm shift.

I remember many, many years ago Rob was doing some work with SFOD-D and I was blessed to be able to work with some of those guys with him. At the end of the week a major match of some sort up an Rio Salado and a number of the soldiers opted to shoot the match. I thought it’d be cool for them to open up a little and run and gun (I was pretty naive about who and what they were and back then secrets were held closely to the vest). So the match starts and one of the guys runs the course. I’m following back taping targets and each target is snake eyes right on the A. I mean every target.

To a large degree that’s where I need to get to. Uncompromising on points.

while disappointed in the end result of the match I am once again thankful to know exactly what I need to work on.

good stuff!,

I just went back and skimmed through your diary. Lots of gaps. :)

It's interesting the way the sport has evolved over the years. I started shooting IPSC in 1980. Around 1997 all the local clubs to me switched to IDPA and I shot only IDPA for several years. Then around 2005 or so I started shooting some USPSA. The sport had completely changed. We used to shoot from this box, then run the the next box and shoot some more. With the change to more open stage design, stage planning became crucial. 

Your Pat McNamara references are interesting. I have learned to go into a match with no expectations. A win is always a positive, but I can only shoot my match. What others do is beyond my control.

Points have become very important in IDPA with the 1 second per point scoring.