Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case insertion problem into resize die

650, reloading 9mm w/ LEE dies. Sometimes a case hangs up on the way into the resize die in station #1.

I know the LEE dies don't have much funnel to them to guide the cases in, compared to Dillon dies (which I do not currently own)

Here's an idea......what's your opinion?

Move the resize die to station #2, and put a bullet seater die in station #1 with the guts removed, adjust it so the die body puts a very mild crimp on the case mouth so it it less likely to hangup on the way into the resize die in station #2.

I did that first step with a bunch of cases on my single stage then threw them into the casefeeder and I got no hangups.

I know this will work the brass a little more, but I rarely get my brass back anyway and 3 reloads on the same brass is probubly a record for me.

There are very few new ideas out there, so somebody must gave tried this, or found a solution to the hangup issue with the resize die that doesn't require me to buy a new resize die. I was just about to switch to a U-die which I doubt would be any better in this respect. I allready have a spare seater die body I can use for this.

What am I missing?

I have a dillon sizer/deprimer die in station 1 and the Lee/EGW "U" die in station 2 with my powder drop in station 3. The dillon sizer die with the larger diameter opening helps the hangup issue. One problem i did notice with the Lee sizer die in station 2 is the die contacts the primer arm oh so slightly. Hasn't been a problem for the 2000 rounds i've loaded and fired but i might buy a spare primer arm to modify so i can get the die to contact the shell plate fully.

As for having a spare seater die body, i think as long as it helps get it into the proper location it shouldn't be a problem.

With my setup (dillon sizer in #1, Lee/EGW die in #2 and a Lee FCD in #5) my brass must be screaming mercy.... :devil:

Edited by yoshidaex

• 2 weeks later...
I have a dillon sizer/deprimer die in station 1 and the Lee/EGW "U" die in station 2 with my powder drop in station 3. The dillon sizer die with the larger diameter opening helps the hangup issue. One problem i did notice with the Lee sizer die in station 2 is the die contacts the primer arm oh so slightly. Hasn't been a problem for the 2000 rounds i've loaded and fired but i might buy a spare primer arm to modify so i can get the die to contact the shell plate fully.

As for having a spare seater die body, i think as long as it helps get it into the proper location it shouldn't be a problem.

With my setup (dillon sizer in #1, Lee/EGW die in #2 and a Lee FCD in #5) my brass must be screaming mercy.... :devil:

Hiro,

Cool: we have the same setup. I filed down that arm so the die can reach the shellplate at #2. No problem at the case gauge anymore!

Hiro,

I too have a 650, lee dies and case feeder. The big question is how do you get the powder drop to work in #3 position? I almost regret getting rid of my 550. I was slower, but never slopped powder and my cases passed the case gauge all the time. Not so on the 650. I load 9 Major so the case is fuller and the lee die in psn one seems to be a bitch to get adjusted.

Thanks

Larry