Chris Keen

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Well the chromed Edge is running extra fine. Havent had a jam, or a mag related problem in almost 2 months. I have about 3,000 rounds through the gun after the chrome job was finished, so I'm not worried about my gun this season. I have 5 new HSmith SV mags, and just about that many STI tubes that hold 20. I have a new red grip being stippled by Matt Cheely as we speak, and I can't wait to get that on the chrome gun.

Dry fire is helping me stay focused on the A-zone, while I'm still shootng as fast as I was last season. Just more accurate.

Here are some videos from this year, 2008, and 2007.

th_CLKSHOOTING.jpg

Here's a video I made from the Circleville match a couple weeks ago.

My first stage was 30 Alphas & 1 Charlie. You can actually see me hesitate on that 1 Charlie while I was shooting over the low wall on the left. I thought about making it up for a split second then decided that was silly, and moved on.

2nd stage was the classifier 99-12 Take Your Choice. This one looked simple enough. Started on the outside left - reloaded - and went to the outside right, working my way inward each time. Did it in 6.22 down 4 points. I felt I was shooting a little high on the left side but I knew my hits were solid, so I marched right along and found out later that this was a 100%. :cheers:

3rd stage was an unloaded-start-stage that I had a plan to shoot the activator popper, then the mini-popper beside it, then the dropper ..... well after missing the mini-popper twice I yanked 1 shot on the dropper (thank god it was disappearing target) then the static target, and went back to the mini-popper. I kept my composure until the end of the stage, but looking back my plan was flawed. I should have shot the mini-popper, THEN the activator popper, THEN the static target while waiting for the turner. This is why I shoot club matches. I get to learn from my mistakes.

4th stage was a run-n-gun that showed me why I missed that mini-popper from the previous stage. I might be calling my shots on paper, but I am NOT doing it consistently on STEEL. :angry: So in the middle of that stage I made a mental note of that, and didnt take one make-up shot on steel the rest of the match.

5th and final stage was a tricky little one that had alot of options. I made my mind up with what I thought was the best plan and I went with it. I think it turned out ok.

So my focus on steel needs to improve, but otherwise I feel like I'm shooting right where I should be.

th_2009APRILCirclevilleMatch.jpg

Ya you looked good Chris... that one steel transition after the star was slow compared to the rest of your transitions.

I liked you shooting the poppers on the move... only one extra shot. ;) Also, those last plates went down nice.

JT

Here's my match video from this past Sunday. I'm really diggin' this video production stuff. :)

My first stage was one where you had to carry the Easter Egg Basket and retrieve both Easter Eggs, and put them in the basket before the last shot was fired. I thought I had a killer plan worked out where I would shoot 16 shots, set the basket down, reload, retrieve the egg, and move on with the stage. But in my haste I set the basket down a little hard and it bounced right off the barrel. <_< I did however retrieve it safely, and having already made my reload was clear to proceed.

2nd stage was also indoors, and required some serious aiming, since the stage was set much further back than the first one was. There were lots of no-shoots throughout, and some hard cover as well. I finished 12 points down which could be much improved, but my time was smokin'.

3rd stage was an interesting triangle-shaped shooting area, that basically had 3 targets available at each corner or opening. There was at least 5 different ways to shoot this stage, but again I found what I believed to be the fastest and best way and stuck to my plan, finishing 3.5 seconds faster than anyone else. (9 points down)

The 4th stage was a 20 round run-n-gun stage that was a blast to shoot. I hesitated on the first target, which I attribute to being a little too tense on the draw. I need to learn to relax on the draw. I think I could be smoother, and definitely faster if I could master this. I ran it in 9.20 and dropped 7 points, which is alot for a 20 round stage, but I mentally told myself to relax half-way through and found my splits quickening as I went along. That felt good, but I still need to focus on the A-Zone. :)

The 5th and final stage was the classifier 99-39 Off Balance Blast. I had a horrible time with this one. Us old guys with bad knees should never be forced to shoot this stage again. In fact I vote we throw this one on the funeral pyre. :devil::lol:

th_MiamisburgApril2009_withpoints.jpg

It looks like you could get a little more aggressive with your stance on stage two... I saw some shooting off the heel and it looked like on some of those ports you were back a bit and the recoil was setting you back... have a gander and see what you think.

Not that I'm all that, just telling you what I see. Ask some of the others and see what they think...

JT

Edited by JThompson

No, I encourage any and all criticisms. I want to learn from these videos as much as possible. :)

Ok

You have a little bit of a beer gut.

Whats up with the classifier. If the bar/barricade is moving thats not a grab it and shoot on. I believe that shoulda been a reshoot or did you just lose your balance?

Why not edit in points down and time?

Looked like a perfect blend of aggression and control to me.

Edited by BSeevers

You have a little bit of a beer gut. Check! :cheers:

Whats up with the classifier. If the bar/barricade is moving thats not a grab it and shoot on. I believe that shoulda been a reshoot or did you just lose your balance? It's called Off Balance Blast for a reason Bill. I was trying to make it seem more realistic. ;)

Why not edit in points down and time? Excellent idea! Now that I've got the hang of this editing program I'll try and do that next time.

Looked like a perfect blend of aggression and control to me.

Here's one place I was looking at... notice you right foot. It remains like that for two or three shot before you plant it. Then take a look at the last port on the second stage. Watch your shoulder in reference to the diamonds on the wall. The recoil pushes you back a little more with every shot, then when you transition, you fall forward and the process starts over again.

Best

Image.bmp

• 3 weeks later...

Local match yesterday. Did alright, but I see from the videos that I have a bit of trigger freeze I need to get over. <_< It creeped into 3 of the 5 stages we shot. Anybody have any recommendations ?

Shooting again today at Oxford, and I'll have to see what I "see" and feel while shooting today!

Watch the video below, and see what I mean right from the 1st stage.

th_2009May-CirclevilleUSPSAmatch_0002.jpg

Edited by Chris Keen

You're to tense.. Burkett timing drills. Bill drills... relax

Every time I have a freeze I'm too tense and am gripping to hard with me right hand.

Edited by JThompson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's the link to the video from the Indiana State match we shot this past weekend ..... I thought that since the theme of the match was AC/DC, I would use that music in the video. :)

Got Area 5 coming up in less than 2 weeks so I'll be working hard to get ready for that one.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted anything here, but it's not for lack of shooting. I've shot alot lately. At least 1 club match a week on average.

Did ok at Area 5. 6th overall, and 3rd Master in Limited. 15 stages in one day was a marathon, but it was fun too. :)

Here's my latest video from yesterday. I have video from todays match to post, but probably wont have the time until tomorrow night.

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp155/C...eUSPSAmatch.flv

Edited by Flexmoney