Chris Keen's Range Diary

Chris Keen

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought you where shooting SS at area 6? I was going to let you win your class and everything when I took home HOA :lol:

Between our 2 squads there won't be much left for plaques!

Edited by steel1212

Are you going to push limited this year or play in the "starter" divisions?

Haven't decided yet 1212. :rolleyes: I love shooting LIMITED almost as much as I love OPEN, but being as I hope to go to the L-10 NATIONALS this year I should probably be practicing my reloads & stage break-downs during club matches between now and then.

I see that big DAVE SEVIGNY is shooting against me in L-10 at AREA 6 so ya'll Georgian-ers better tell him to watch out :surprise::P :P

Are you going to push limited this year or play in the "starter" divisions?

Haven't decided yet 1212. :rolleyes: I love shooting LIMITED almost as much as I love OPEN, but being as I hope to go to the L-10 NATIONALS this year I should probably be practicing my reloads & stage break-downs during club matches between now and then.

I see that big DAVE SEVIGNY is shooting against me in L-10 at AREA 6 so ya'll Georgian-ers better tell him to watch out :surprise::P :P

He did that at area 3 last year. Manny sent him a pink shirt for winning :goof: and I think an XD lol.

Hey, now I know why you keep jumping around in divisions....your 2% from M in 2 of them lol!

Edited by steel1212

There isn't anything I can say about you getting DQed that you haven't already heard so I'm not going to say it. Just look on the flip side. You got to shoot the whole match, you got your score sheets for all but 1 stage to compare with, and you got to hang out with friends.

If your shooting 3 gun 1st of may I'm going to try to make up...see ya soon.

• 1 month later...
Hey, now I know why you keep jumping around in divisions....your 2% from M in 2 of them lol!

"jumping around?" <_< um ...... no. It's a long story that involves the SS NATS earlier this year & the L-10 NATS later this year, but suffice to say I just love shooting hosing in open/LTD. :) I'm leaving the 'M' thing up to fate. When it happens ... it happens.

Sorry about A6.

I had a rough match at AREA 6 earlier this year. 1st major of the year. On 1 stage (Brians House) I had no less than 4 mags just FALL OUT of my gun. The culprit being a worn mag catch. Can't believe I kept it together enough to finish that stage & got all my hits. :) Only to move on to the next & final stage of the match and get DQ'd. :(

Didn't do much better at AREA 8 (2nd major of the year). Things have been a little slow getting started for me this year. I blame this crazy Ohio Weather. It got warm enough to practice outside sometime around April 30th. Then it got HOT sometime around May 30th. Jumping right from Winter to Summer. That's Ohio weather for you.

Indiana turned out to be a much better match for me. Practice helps. :rolleyes: I turned out 3rd out of 83 in LTD and 2nd in A Class. Had one miss on a REF Re-shoot. <_< I guess the re-shoot Gods were not pleased that day. Had some other phenomenal runs, and a few mediocre ones. Consistency is still my best asset, but I need to tighten it up a bit.

Had a great day at the range today. Practiced for a couple of hours with Pharaoh Bender. Shot close to 600 rounds. Practiced lots of movement. Micah brought some 4" paper plates that felt like 2" but it helped me to focus and really improve my shot calling. The gun is running great. Have not had a failure of any kind since Area 6. It runs like a top whether clean or dirty.

Ran some of Steve Anderson's movement drills. Reloading on the move after 2 shots feels a bit stiff, but I think it's just a little awkward. We don't normally do that in a match. The new Rescomp mags are a dream though. 20 round reloads are a snap.

Made a little game out of hiding Pharaoh Benders Glock Mag-Loader. Every time he went up to shoot, I would hide it in a different range bag. He got smart after about the 5th time and just put it in his pocket. :) Who uses a mag-loader to load 10 rounds in a 17 round mag anyways ? :blink::rolleyes::P J/K Micah. Good times with good friends today.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Who uses a mag-loader to load 10 rounds in a 17 round mag anyways ? :

DUDE!! WTF!!! :roflol:

I shot IDPA today at my range it looks like I'll be open for live fire practice again as well!! I need to get another marvel....like the one I just sold.... <_<

Made a little game out of hiding Pharaoh Benders Glock Mag-Loader. Every time he went up to shoot, I would hide it in a different range bag. He got smart after about the 5th time and just put it in his pocket. :)

Man that confused the shit outta me for the first 4 times it went missing :lol:

It didn't occur to you on the 1st go round that it ended up in MY range bag, that something was amiss? Then again each successive time it ended up in a different range bag ? Then the last time he hid it from me, in HIS range bag.

Then on the 5th time ......... well, I surely wasn't go to look for it in his pockets-es! :lol::o

• 2 months later...

Went to Circleville to shoot the Steel match today. Another fun-filled day of Shenanigans ..... :rolleyes: It's always great fun shooting with Kyle, Bill, and Conrad. :)

In honor of the USPSA-SC being held in Piru, CA ... we shot all 8 of the official Steel Challenge stages today. Speed Option, Roundabout, Pendulum, Showdown , Five To Go, Outer Limits, Accelerator, and my personal favorite Smoke & Hope! ;) That had to be my best stage of the day. I know the outside plates are FRIGGEN' HUGE, but I remember seeing (or was it "tracking"?) my sights more clearly on that stage than any other.

I've shot steel matches before, but today was different. Not sure if it's a matter of being in this sport longer allows you to learn things faster, the longer you've been in it .... or that the learning experiences are more easily understood later on, but today I learned alot. Push yourself on your last string / stage if all else is good. What else do you have to lose at that point ?

Sometimes the best lessons are the simplest ones. Get back to basics. Float the gun. Align the sights. Watch the shooting as it happens, correcting only what needs to be corrected as it happens. Do NOT listen for the steel. Call the shot & move on. 2nd guessing yourself can be costly in a steel match (or life for that matter). :rolleyes: Shoot the stage at a pace that is consistent and comfortable to YOU! Slow and steady wins the race (or at least YOUR class!)

My times today were very consistent, and at least on my first 3 or 4 stages, my hits were so scary accurate I felt like I was an entirely different shooter. I hardly made a mistake or miss, until about the middle of the day. My confidence level dwindled sometime around mid-morning. Or ........... perhaps it the fact that we all chipped in for pizza & it was ready and waiting while our squad was still shooting our 4th stage. :cheers:

I took 7 new mags with me today that I plan on using at the L-10 Nats, and just loaded them all with 10 rounds each. And after shooting 200+ rounds through them today I never had problem 1 with any of them. Nice thing about steel matches is NOT dropping your mags, and getting 90% of your brass back. lol

We took a little break for lunch, then changed over the stages to the other 4, and finished out the afternoon. I had some more really great stages after getting some food in my belly, and firing up my confidence level.

I recently got a new DVD called Mastering The Mental Game from Saul Kirsch & I have to say that after watching it just ONCE it has made a difference in my shooting. I cant tell you how much a positive self-image helps your game. But I can tell you that a negative self-image is EVEN MORE powerful. Thats the scary truth. We all tend to focus on our weaknesses, and mistakes in this game. Mostly because we know that this is a game of errors. One or two mistakes can mean the difference between 1st place or 5th place (depending on your class). So we worry, and take the bad breaks very hard but it's all just fun & games when you get right down to it, right ? A positive self-image may feel a little awkward at first, but if you can't even see yourself winning (in your own mind) you are destined to succeed at your own failure.

3 WEEKS TIL' NATS!

SEE YOU GUYS THERE! B)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

• 5 months later...
I started this thread when I got my new Limited gun last year, and I posted some pics of that gun to show it off. Well, it seems only right that since I've had lots of work done to it since then that I post some new pics to keep up with the times. B)

post-4139-1206585429.jpg

post-4139-1206585416.jpg

Just got my LTD gun back from APW with a new coat of hard-chrome. Took it to the range last night and fired 120 rds. through it without a single hiccup. Sights were drifted in, and off by only 3 clicks down. B)

I gotta hand it to the guys at APW. They did it a little different than Tripp did on my open gun, but I like it alot. They brushed the frame in a vertical manner, and then brushed the slide horizontally for a little bit of contrast.

I like it alot and was really amazed that I had no problems at the range.

100_5819.jpg

100_5822.jpg

100_5813.jpg