Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

para steel frame or sti polymer

mikeg

I am thinking of building a gun for limited / standard division.  Which type of frame is the best to use, in terms of strength, balance,  easy to grip and aim. What are the pros and cons between a Para ordnance steel frame versus a STI / SVI polymer frame.

Paras are know for huge tolerance variations from frame to frame. I know at least two people who had to have custom drilled sears because of Para frames with the holes in the wrong place. The castings are known to contain voids which are a problem if you checker the frontstrap. They are also generally very soft and are know to peen from repeated use. They do not have a reputation for cracking, however. Most people who successfully use Para get them Accurailed. On the other hand, Todd Jarrett's very happy with them and they last a long time for him.

STI and SV are not a polymer frame. They have a steel frame and a separate, replaceable polymer grip. The steel frame itself is very strong and accurately machined. Dimensional problems with STI and SV frames are almost unheard of if they even occur at all. There are many, many STI/SV frames with 100,000 plus rounds that are still tight and going strong.

STI/SV grips are slightly smaller around than Para grips. Most people are more comfortable with an STI/SV grip. People with really big hands will prefer the Para.

I haven't checked prices recently but if I recall correctly, Para frames are about $100 more expensive than the other two and you'll likely also want to invest in fronstrap checkering  (~$150+) and most mag wells need gunsmith fitting. In the end, a Para will likely cost at least $250-300 more than an STI/SV.

One last thing, long dustcovers are popular in limited/standard guns to put more weight on the front of the gun. Para does not offer any thing like that.