Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm, Anyone using 147s having keyholing?

Jack Suber

I have been loading the 9 mm for a while now, mostly for Open as 9 mm Major. Sometimes some are loaded for minor/production. I like the 124's more than the 147's, but they both work fine. EXCEPT ...

Sometimes some bullets would "tumble" for no apparent reason ... So I started "rolling" some finished cartridges in a flat table, and watching them "dance" as they rolled. My jaw fell down my face as I watched. Now I place each individual bullet atop the case as it gets seated and hold it there... So I started putting in a little more "belling" in the case mouth, and changed to a Redding Competition Bullet Seater. The result was much straighter cartridges ... and less "tumbling". Roll some "ready/finished" cartridges in a nice flat, even table (including factory ammo) and watch the bullets for bobbing off-center. I have found that the "cheaper/more inexpensive" bullets tend to dance/bobb more. Compare to see if the ratio of key-holes in your targets match the ratio in your "table dance study". :surprise:

Normally a bad barrel would tumble lighter bullets too. Of course a longer-narrower bullet in relation to actual bore to bullet diameter could affect the bullet from properly expanding and filling/sealing/stabilizing the bore/bullet for optimum accuracy.

I have been loading the 9 mm for a while now, mostly for Open as 9 mm Major. Sometimes some are loaded for minor/production. I like the 124's more than the 147's, but they both work fine. EXCEPT ...

Sometimes some bullets would "tumble" for no apparent reason ... So I started "rolling" some finished cartridges in a flat table, and watching them "dance" as they rolled. My jaw fell down my face as I watched. Now I place each individual bullet atop the case as it gets seated and hold it there... So I started putting in a little more "belling" in the case mouth, and changed to a Redding Competition Bullet Seater. The result was much straighter cartridges ... and less "tumbling". Roll some "ready/finished" cartridges in a nice flat, even table (including factory ammo) and watch the bullets for bobbing off-center. I have found that the "cheaper/more inexpensive" bullets tend to dance/bobb more. Compare to see if the ratio of key-holes in your targets match the ratio in your "table dance study". :surprise:

Normally a bad barrel would tumble lighter bullets too. Of course a longer-narrower bullet in relation to actual bore to bullet diameter could affect the bullet from properly expanding and filling/sealing/stabilizing the bore/bullet for optimum accuracy.

That makes sense. That is a very long bullet to seat in a small case. If it wasn't perfectly set, I guess it could get "off-line". I started focusing on that while loading my last batch and the shot better, but I still had a keyhole every once in a while. I will try opening the belling a bit.

As for accuracy with the 9 M&P, with 115s and 124s, mine are both VERY accurate. Its the 147s that are kicking my butt. I did order some 135 Zeros that I plan to try this weekend. Hopefully, that will be the good middle ground. I'll posts the results Sunday.

Hello: Have you tried loading the 147's longer? I use the Precision 147's loaded to 1.140 OAL and have not had any problems at all. I use them in my Glock 34 and Kimber 9mm. I do notice a difference when I load for my Glock 22 and my STI 2011 in 40. The STI likes the bullets loaded long making it much more accurate than my Glock 22 loads shot in the STI. It is worth a try. Thanks, Eric

Just thought I would throw this out there. I tried the Zero 135s this weekend with Clays. SWEEEETTTT!!!! Very accurate and very soft. This is what I will be going with. Later.

With "Clays", huh?? How many grains and OAL?

3.4 grns at 1.115 OAL. It is giving me a 131 PF. Really nice.

Just thought I would throw this out there. I tried the Zero 135s this weekend with Clays. SWEEEETTTT!!!! Very accurate and very soft. This is what I will be going with. Later.

With "Clays", huh?? How many grains and OAL?

3.4 grns at 1.115 OAL. It is giving me a 131 PF. Really nice.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Thanks Jack. I'll try some 135s after I run out of my 147s. The Zero 147 gr. FMJs with IMR 4756 shoot great out of my XD but I would like to compare them to the 135s with Clays. I use Clays for my .45ACP's and it would be great to use it for my 9mms as well. I knew there was a reason that we let you keep hanging out here. :bow::):lol:

Edited by XD Niner