Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt Rifle Questions

uscbigdawg

Already got a scope lined out. Had the local (pricey) shop get me a quote on a CZ-452, Varmint model and that was $499+tax. Not bad. It's purely a beater/training rifle that I'll use to practice positions with out to probably 200 with. Nothing too fancy.

Gotta look it up online and see what the thing looks like. :D

Rich

Depending on the scope that's about right on the price. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cheap bulk packs at Wally World and anything made by Remington. Spend the extra bucks and get decent rimfire ammo. Wolf Match Target is a well known standard that works well in most rimfires. Eley Target in the new yellow box also is good. Both are just under $5 a box. www.championshooters.com is the place to go.

200 with a 22LR rimfire? A bit ambitious. I do my position practice at 50ft and 50yd. If the conditions are right I give 100yd prone a go. At 100 you've got about 8.5" of drop with a 50yd zero to deal with. It's a lot tougher than you think it is. 300yd prone with my AR is lot easier than 100 with my tricked out 10/22.

Either way, you'll like the CZ.

FWIW: I've been following this thread for a while. My range is getting a couple of 600yd lanes up and running. Of course this means I have to get a new gun to shoot on it. I've been looking at a couple of entry level rifles learn the game. There's one that has my attention available at http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm. Got a quote of $850 minus scope. What do y'all think?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've been told, the Howa's are okay actions, but it takes some serious work to get them close to a decent 700.
Thanks. The other two I've been looking at are the Rem 700 and Savage 10FP. I'm looking for something I can use out of the box or with minimal home gunsmithing.

I know, I know. Do a search. I just can't decide on what to get.

Hank - Savages are not a bad choice either. My shooting buddy has a 700 VSSF and then bought the Savage version (this was about a decade or so ago). "Scratches" (Savage) vs. Flutes (Rem). Crappy stock vs. nice laminate. Actions were about a wash, although the VSSF is somehow magically better (theoretically).

So he took the Savage that was $450 instead of over $1k Remmy and had the barrel fluted, stock bedded, trigger job and action worked on. Total bill including the rifle was less than $800. It shoots inside of the Remmy.

There are DM systems out there for the Savage now too. I forget the name but it's like J-Bull or something like that. I don't know anything about them.

Rich

THE RIFLE IS DONE!!!!

I'll be picking it up tonight, mounting the scope and other doo-dads and will hopefully have pics up tonight!

Rich

ETA: The only thing that I can't mount to it (yet) is my ACD/ACI from Defensive Edge (that's coming) as well as my JPoint which I haven't decided how I want to mount yet (if at all).

Edited by uscbigdawg

Man.. I have no idea what is going on with .308 components. I ordered some Winchester Brass from Sinclair (which was in stock according to their website) and the next day I get an email stating my order is canceled since its out of stock and no backorder.

All I have is a bag of 1fired Federal brass stamped FC 64. I'm pretty sure thats 1964, since it belonged to my friends dad.

Is it worth using at all just to get some trigger time?

Dude. I've got a good solid week of brass prep and loading ahead of me and I don't have a load yet. Thanks to some help (Bobby) I can cut down a lot on the "experimentation" time and go right for the gusto. I just need to figure out what my OAL will be and then what the final powder charge is going to be. I'm going to start at 43.0 and go up in .5 grain increments. I'm shooting for 2,650 fps with the 175's. I don't care about how much powder it takes to get there.

Rich

ETA: I'll probably go and buy a couple of rounds of factory ammo though, just to do the break in 'cause well...I want to shoot the dang thing (my components will be here probably by the end of the week).

Edited by uscbigdawg

I just need to figure out what my OAL will be and then what the final powder charge is going to be.

You'll need one of this. If you're loading 308 Winchester I have one you can borrow. You pretty much use it once to measure your chamber and that'll be it. Let me know, I'll be in Richmond this Sunday.

kgunz,

Have you messed with the IOR scopes at all? I use the 3-18X model with the MP8 reticle. All I have shot with it thus far is 100 to zero and 1000 for matches using M118LR ammo.

IOR glass is pretty nice, but glass is subjective and I don't rate it better than NF. What I can tell you is that IOR has a really crappy reputation for CS. Scott Berish at Liberty Optics has come a long way in trying to help with that, but if he and Val (the US importer) have a falling out then things will go back to the way they were. I can make a long list of why I will never own an IOR, and only a very short list of pro's.

M118LR is decent ammo. 210M primers and Re-15 behind a 175. It's kind of temp sensitive, but it has great potential.

Glass:

#1. Schmidt and Bender

#2. Nightforce

#3. Leupold

Ammo:

#1. Black Hills 175 or 168 gr AMAX rounds .

They give match performance and will reliably expand if hitting soft targets due to the expansion tip.

#2. Hornady T.A.P. 168 or 155 grain

#3. Federal Gold medal match 168gr BTHP. Great paper puncher but NO reliable performance terminal ballistic wise.

JK

Dude. I've got a good solid week of brass prep and loading ahead of me and I don't have a load yet. Thanks to some help (Bobby) I can cut down a lot on the "experimentation" time and go right for the gusto. I just need to figure out what my OAL will be and then what the final powder charge is going to be. I'm going to start at 43.0 and go up in .5 grain increments. I'm shooting for 2,650 fps with the 175's. I don't care about how much powder it takes to get there.

Rich

ETA: I'll probably go and buy a couple of rounds of factory ammo though, just to do the break in 'cause well...I want to shoot the dang thing (my components will be here probably by the end of the week).

With my 24" PSS I hit 2675 average with 44.3 gr of Varget in Rem. brass, Fed 210m primers, 175gr SMK.

What I'd like to do is fire some Black Hills or FGMM 175 gr for velocity and try to match it as close as possible.

I have the Stoney Point OAL gage here. From what I have read it's easier to use than the RCBS tool.

Steve

I just need to figure out what my OAL will be and then what the final powder charge is going to be.

You'll need one of this. If you're loading 308 Winchester I have one you can borrow. You pretty much use it once to measure your chamber and that'll be it. Let me know, I'll be in Richmond this Sunday.

Some info on the rifle:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint (308)

Bell & Carlson stock w/ aluminum bedding block

Badger Ordnance knob (green for a 'piece of flare')

EGW 20 MOA base & low rings

Leupold Mk 4 LR/T 4.5-14x40mm (Custom Shop) w/ TMR Reticle

Harris BRM-S bi-pod w/ KMW Pod Lock (once I figure out how to put the damn thing on)

Surefire muzzle brake

SKD Tactical/BALS Mk 2 stock pack

Trigger job, bedding, re-crowning and threading by Maraviov Gunsmithing in Woodland, CA (one of those little guys that does it right)

Total cost: Well under $2k

Other "kit" items:

- Mil Dot Master

- Palm Tungsten E2 w/ Exbal

- Kestrel 3500

I think that's it.

Rich