Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shok-buff?

Dump1567

They can cause function problems. It's another component in the gun that can screw things up.

I do use them though. I don't know how much they save the frame - but I think they make the gun more shootable from a feel standpoint.

If you change them pretty regular then there shouldn't be many issues however a lot of people are adament about not using them. Be interested to see what others say.

JB

It depends on the gun. I've seen them cause functional problems. OTOH my Wilson .45 (and wouldn't you figure if a Shok-Buff would work in anything it would be a Wilson .45) runs just fine with them. In general I like them IF the gun runs 100 percent with the buff in place. Try it. If the gun still works, keep it. If not, toss it.

they are the incarnation of evil and should be avoided like the plague! Well...at least in matches... I have seen more malfunctions caused by buffs than any other single simple item. Search this forum for numerous horror stories....The root cause is slide short striking in combination with high-cap magazines that may (on top of it all) not have been tuned properly. Brian and others *solve* this by taking material off the spring tunnel, thus accounting for the shok-buff width. That seems to work very well. I myself am a bit wary of this kind of slide surgery, so I use buffs in practice but take them out for matches.

--Detlef

Duane,

didn't know you shot a high-cap .45? IMHO, *those* are the pickiest about magazines and buffs of all! 19k rds w/o hick-up in such a gun is truely spectacular!!! Kind of sad, because for a single stack that would be expected and no big deal...

--Detlef