Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MONTANA GOLD BULLETS

I AM USING 124 GR JHP MONTANA GOLD IN MY KEAL OPEN GUN. I AM THINKING IN TRYING 124 GR CMJ OF THE SAME BRAND. DOES ANYBODY HAS USE THIS BULLET WITH AN OPEN GUN. I TRIED ANOTHER BRAND OF 125 GR FMJ BUT LEFT

A LOT OF RESIDUAL IN THE COMPENSATOR. I WOULD APPRECIATE THE INPUT . BY THE WAY, I AM NEW IN THIS FORUM

I've Montana Gold 124 CMJ's and they shoot great out of my 9mm open gun. I mainly use the 115g CMJ's and use 180g CMJ's for my limited gun. I have small children and like the fully enclosed bullet. Plus they don't lead the comp very much. I think you'll be happy with them.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I was just looking at their products this morning and came across one that I could not figure out - 121gr IFP These acronyms drive me nuts! It seems that everyone has their own collection of acronyms.

Their legend says IFP = International Full Pro but what the *bleep* is that?

It looks like a 115g Hollow point that they filled the hollow part up with lead to get to 121g. I don't get it. Tried them, nothing to get excited about.

They took a 115 grain, truncated cone (flat point) JHP and filled the nose cavity up with lead. Now it weights 121 grains to get around/past the IPSC requirement for at least 120 grain bullet weight in open.

I just ordered a case of the CMJ in 115. I just shot a case of JHP, they got the order wrong and I noticed a lot more leading with them. My point is you should see a lot less leading with a fully jacketed round. I moved over from Zeros for availability reasons.

JT

I just ordered a case of the CMJ in 115. I just shot a case of JHP, they got the order wrong and I noticed a lot more leading with them. My point is you should see a lot less leading with a fully jacketed round. I moved over from Zeros for availability reasons.

JT

Thanks for your response.

I shoot 124 gr JHP and I Do not have any leading problem. Now. Do you have more leading with the CMJ or JHP.

JT

Thanks for your response.

I shoot 124 gr JHP and I Do not have any leading problem. Now. Do you have more leading with the CMJ or JHP.

JHP, but it's not really and issue unless you get into the open major. The high pressure and heat tend to burn the lead off the back of the bullet where the lead is exposed. Plus I shoot indoors and who wants to breath that crap? ;)

JT

I shoot 124 gr JHP and I Do not have any leading problem.

+1 - I switched to the JPH to get away from the exposed-lead base of the FMJ

Since then, though, I've found that the JHPs give me a tidge better accuracy, as a bonus. My 'smith has tried to explain it to me saying stuff about bearing surface and distribution of mass, and it all went over my head, but... I *do* get better groups, when I check zero or shoot for groups.

ymmv

It looks like a 115g Hollow point that they filled the hollow part up with lead to get to 121g. I don't get it. Tried them, nothing to get excited about.

Thanks.

By way of comparison, how would you rank the Montana Gold bullets for quality as compared to plated bullets from Berry and Rainier or jacketed from "big names" like Remington and Winchester which are comparably priced in bulk.

MG bullets are a high quality - a "real" copper jacket (rather than plating), good concentricity, and very consistent weights.

Several guys in my local circle bought a few cases of Remington bullets when the price was advantageous... they ended up going back to MG. The only thing I buy *other* than MG is Zero, and only when the pricing makes sense.

B

MG bullets are a high quality - a "real" copper jacket (rather than plating), good concentricity, and very consistent weights.

Sounds good. Must give them a try. If I read your former post correctly, the JHP are jacked on the base?

Sounds good. Must give them a try. If I read your former post correctly, the JHP are jacked on the base?

Yes, but FMJs are not.

Several guys in my local circle bought a few cases of Remington bullets when the price was advantageous... they ended up going back to MG. The only thing I buy *other* than MG is Zero, and only when the pricing makes sense.

B

Have you tried th MG CMJ in major loads. If so what about the lead in compensator?.

I shoot major 168 PF MG 124 JHP with not problem . But I am looking to shoot steel with the CMJ with a power factor of approx. 155 at the most. I heard is more accurate.

Thanks.

Ramon

Ramon,

In my Super, under the old power factor, the 124 CMJ's were the best. While there is reported improved accuraccy using JHP's (and I don't doubt it), wait 'til the day comes when you've got a kernal of media in the cavity and it locks your gun up. Not a huge concern, but for me, the rounded nose of FMJ's and CMJ's were a bonus. I've only run the CMJ's from MGB and love them.

With the reduced power factor, I went from 124's to 115's to increase the gas volume to in turn work the compensators better, again using the CMJ's. They're simply awesome.

The 121gr. IFP bullet is not a bad guy either. As eluded to above, it's simply a 115 JHP with the cavity filled in to get the bullet above the 120gr. IPSC limit.

Buy with confidence and like Bruce, other than MGB, I'll only shoot Zero's. Not only for quality, but for support of our sport.

Rich

Ramon,

In my Super, under the old power factor, the 124 CMJ's were the best. While there is reported improved accuraccy using JHP's (and I don't doubt it), wait 'til the day comes when you've got a kernal of media in the cavity and it locks your gun up. Not a huge concern, but for me, the rounded nose of FMJ's and CMJ's were a bonus. I've only run the CMJ's from MGB and love them.

With the reduced power factor, I went from 124's to 115's to increase the gas volume to in turn work the compensators better, again using the CMJ's. They're simply awesome.

The 121gr. IFP bullet is not a bad guy either. As eluded to above, it's simply a 115 JHP with the cavity filled in to get the bullet above the 120gr. IPSC limit.

Buy with confidence and like Bruce, other than MGB, I'll only shoot Zero's. Not only for quality, but for support of our sport.

Rich

Thanks Rich for your input and help in this matter. I will continue to use the MGB 124 for my ipsc and for sure I will use the CMJ for steel. Also thanks for the recomendation of the 121 CMJ.

The reason I use the 124's is because I have hybrids shorties and I have to use a lot of powder.

Thanks again and keep it in the ten ring.

Ramon

Can't be that much. I say this only 'cause you can Angus Hobdell some day what it was like to make 175 PF with 109gr. bullet.

The right word is, I believe.... DANGEROUS... :D:lol:

Angus claims he was the reason for the 120-gr rule since he trashed steel all across Europe with those loads..

Note that the IFPs also aren't JHPs for the states and countries that ban those.

Where would I find reload data for 124gr 9x19 Montana Gold JHP? I asked them and they said to look here. I suppose I could treat them like any other plated bullet and use the info I already have, but that wouldn't be any fun. :cheers: