Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Victor Barnes Sr.

j1b

Let me just say, before I get too far into this, that I'm not entirely devastated by this unlike some of the other "last shot fired" posts I've put up. While I'm sad, I'd say I'm more just proud.

My grandfather passed away last week. I've waited to post in last shot fired because the times I've done it have been very grief stricken and sad. Again, I'm sad, but I can deal with this one a little easier.

So he passed last week, on Tuesday night. My wife and I got back on Sunday from the funeral which was really quite amazing. So here's the story.

Grandpa was born and raised in Colorado. At 21 years old he met my grandmother and they were soon married. When he passed, they'd been married 66 years - amazing.

Almost as soon as they got married Grandpa joined the Navy. They got pregnant with my dad, and my grandfather was shipped off to WWII. He spent 4 years overseas - my father was a little over 4 when they first met.

He stayed in the Naval reserves for 32 years. He achieved the rank of Master Chief, the highest rank he could get as a non-commissioned soldier. In addition, he also ran a commisary, which as I understand it was very rare for a "civilian" employee.

He was a tremendous worker - he worked hard all the time. My family and I were up in Alaska and once a year he'd come up and go fishing with us. He was dedicated to his family, his children, and his grandchildren. There is no doubt we were loved.

Tom Brokaw labeled his generation as The Greatest Generation and I can say my grandpa was an outstanding example of that generation. He knew the challenges and he bore right through them. His values were ingrained and simply true to him.

Last week he passed, at 87 years old. His ceremony was awesome (I had to read the bio - which was tough). He received full military honors, including a 21 gun solute and the playing of taps. My grandmother received his flag.

His life was a life well lived. His life was a life well worth celebrating.

While I'm sad he's gone, I am so much more blessed to have known, loved, and learned from him. Still better, his blood flows through my veins. I couldn't ask for a better gift than that.

My grandfather's life was a spectacular one.

J

He spent 4 years overseas - my father was a little over 4 when they first met.

My best friend had a similar experience. He married right before heading to Iraq, and he has always wanted to have children. Shortly after he left, he learned that his wife was pregnant. She miscarried a few months later. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be overseas and know that you have a son or daughter that you watch grow up in pictures. Meeting a son after four years...that's sacrifice!

I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks to all.

I'm simply more proud than sad. That is all there is to it.

There is a saying - the enemy of great is good. My grandfather never succomed to the enemy. Great is a word that he emmulated.

To give you an idea of his dedication - my family had to put him in a VA home in March. So there for a while he was a way from home. His constant thought and concern was his wife of 66 years. Even to his last day he wanted to make sure "mommy" (his reference to my grandma) was ok. That he wanted her to know he was so thankful of their years together.

I don't know how you find that in the media or press today. I do know how powerful it is.

To love with all that you are - not figuratively, but literally. That is amazing.

Again, pride is the only word I've got. Not even sad. Just proud.

Another funny story. A couple of weeks ago I guess he got into it with a colonel. The point isn't that they got into it. I Love the fact that to his last day, and their last day for that matter, they knew and they OWNED what they believed in. Piss and vinegar to the end. I Love it.

J

Edited by j1b

That is an excellent story, while it is always tough to lose a loved one, you have got to be smiling remembering all the stories this incredible man left you with. I for one say congratulations to you for being able to so readily recognize and admire what seems to be a very great man.

Best Regards, Craig