Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting class for clays

ap3

I live in the Mid-Atlantic region and I was looking for a 2 to 3 day sporting clays class at a decent cost. I went to Universal shooting academy and did a 2 day class with a GM for $400, and all the big places around here want that much fo one day with some local hero.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic region and I was looking for a 2 to 3 day sporting clays class at a decent cost. I went to Universal shooting academy and did a 2 day class with a GM for $400, and all the big places around here want that much fo one day with some local hero.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

clays is much more expensive than is pistol shooting...

Here in Houston, Bobby Fowler, former World Champ gets 700 a day and he isn't even a good teacher.....look around on the Net and check out the NSCA web site, they show a link IIRC to the instructors...they don't have to have been a world beater to be a great teacher....find someone that you can talk with man to man w/o being intimidated by their credentials and that you understand what they are telling you...Also understand that shotgun is like pistol in that there is no magic bean...it all boils down to fundamentals and proper execution...you have to have good mechanics that are repeatable and be able to diagnois the stage as to where you will first see the bird, your hold point and your break point..after that it is just doing it and making it repeatable...sounds easy doesn't it...you only have to have about 7 or 8 basic shots in clays all the rest are variations on those...

Good luck with it..let us know what you end up doing...

• 1 month later...

are there any good sporting clays matches in our area? I know there is one at the castlewood rod and gun about 40 min north of pittsburgh. just go and try to squad with them and pick their brain. shotgun sports are insanely expensive. but my advise would be to work from the top down in their area....

possibly contact doug koenig? or other top 3 gun shooters in our sport maybe see where they learned.

Try http://www.ospschool.com

Their rates are $385 to $500/ day + targets, which I think is very reasonable. Pretty much the same rate you'll pay with any IPSC GM. I'm going to try and hit their class over Labor Day weekend in Salem, OR. They travel all over so you can probably find a class w/in driving distance.

Try http://www.ospschool.com

Their rates are $385 to $500/ day + targets, which I think is very reasonable. Pretty much the same rate you'll pay with any IPSC GM. I'm going to try and hit their class over Labor Day weekend in Salem, OR. They travel all over so you can probably find a class w/in driving distance.

Just food for thought....Gil and Vicki Ash run and own OSP...vicki is a former womens US Champ but Gil is just another shooter who now teaches...Vicki is the better teacher....took one lesson from Gil way back when and took me 6 months to unlearn those lessons and get back to basics....FWIW, Gill was a photographer B4 he started teaching....LOL Jerry Meyers is another great teacher and funny as a rubber crutch....look at some of the early tapes with Jerry and Gil in them...you'll see what I mean...

I took a 2 day class with Gil Ash back when Blackjack Sporting Clays was still open in the Orlando area. I found him to be a good teacher for my level then (B class). I really like Steve Middleditch as an instructor (SMiddlo@bellsouth.net) and Wendell Cherry seems like a very nice guy and a really good instructor. I also had the opportunity to see Andy Duffy in action as both a teacher and shooter and he is extremely good at both.

David