Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sv V. Sti

Mistral404

Another factor that's seldom discussed is that the modern day race-type gun (including S_I limited guns) is one highly tuned piece of equipment. You don't have to be a wizard to mass produce a consistently reliable SS .45, with 7 rd mags. But as soon as you leave that basic realm, it quickly becomes much more complicated. Buy the time you reach something like a SS or DS in 40 cal, or a 38 super-comp with a box full of ammo in it and a scope mount in the way, you've got one seriously refined piece of equipment. It's kind of like owning a Volkswagen - it really helps if you know how to work on it yourself.

The 40 cal SVI that I shot for the last three years runs like a clock. (Pretty much all my guns did.) It NEVER malfunctions. But no factory or gunsmith made it that way. I did. Few can comprehend the amount to tuning that goes into one of my competition guns (and mags).

Just considering the variables introduced by ammunition and magazines by the average user, it's a miracle your "average" competition gun runs at all.

be

My wifes limited gun is an SV that a local gunsmith put together from a frame and slide kit. After a little minor tuning it has run flawlees for more than a year. The reason for using the SV frame and slide was simply because I got a good deal on them at a match. My open guns are STI's. One of them I bought used and the other I am in the process of putting together. I like the STI's better because of their contingency program that rewards shooters at certain major matches if they win their class. Even if you are a D class shooter. I know its not a big deal and only helps if you win but it is a nice incentive and shows that they support those that use their frames. If you are looking for a stock STI, Dawson would probably be your best choice. I hear he does a little extra tuning on them and advertises a great price. If you are looking to have one built by a gunsmith Benny Hill would be a great choice. Either way you go quality is top notch from both.

• 2 months later...

I am surprised no one mentioned STI's contingency program .... or did I just miss it? If you shoot any Area or National Championships, that alone is incentive enough to go for the STI. That is probably the greatest marketing decision in the history of our sport and probably accounts for the fact that the usage of STI in the Nationals survey is way higher than SV.

I had the same experience that joer did. I ordered a complete gun from SV back around Dec 2002. They told me 2 months tops. I paid for it in full around late Feb 2003. Mar 2003, still no gun and they didn't bother calling me to tell me it would be a little later. April 2003, I have called them over and over and still no gun. May 2003, they still don't take the initative to actually call me and tell me they missed the promised date yet again. June 2003, I finally have had enough and am contemplating getting my $2000 back. I had to call an SV rep to rattle their cage. 4 days later it was in my hand. This .40 Limited pistol is beautiful, works everytime, is accurate, and I have no complaints on the gun itself. But it will be the only SV I own.

I am w/ Brian, Ebraketurn & shootergrrrl - either one you buy is going to have to be built. You cannot simply look at the cost of a new STI or SV and think its going to run as the initial purchse price is simply the starting point of the project. You might look into Dave Dawson's guns; he sells STIs that are supposedly better that STIs and he also builds/sell/tunes STIs w/ his own name on them for considerably more $$$. Keep in mind that the companies and builders have no control over mags since they can't sell mags here in the US (beyond the total crap STI 10 rounders) and their hicap guns are dependent on mags that the shooter is responsible for finding & then tuning himself or w/ outside help. Sorta hard for them to garantee functioning of a new gun w/ such mags and ammo like 9 Supercomp that the company knows you have to hand-load to your own specs. BTW, you can find a link to the petition to sunset (end) the magazine ban on our section's website at www.vamdsection.org

Carlos,

I think that is a far too pessimistic a view for a new gun. Every gun will need some maintenance over it's lifetime but it should run when it arrives and should continue to run (with minor tuning) for a quite a while before it needs any significant attention.

I have known Dave Dawson for over 10 years and he builds a quality product. The main difference between Dave and the S_I factory is the final tuning and personal attention after the build. When Dave first stated building guns, he would take each new gun to a local match and win HOA with the gun before delivering it (with the Hoa award) to the customer. How is that for proven functioning! The fact that he was among the first batch of GMs when the class was created did not hurt but the gun did have to run, even with his skills. Obviously, he could not continue that level of testing and expect to sell too many guns per month ... but you get the idea... he makes sure that the product works before he delivers it. I have an SV (Factory Gun) that ran from day 1, has never had a single part replaced (beyond springs), and it is already a few years old now. I know of several people that have had similar experiences.

Don't sell the factory guns that short.

Leo

Btw, the advantage to buying STI's from Dawson is that he gets his mitts on each one, checks 'em out for problems and anything else objectionable and does any minor tuning before he sends it out. Supposedly he's been known to haul them across town to STI and make them give him a new one if he really doesn't like it. Other than that, I think they're regular STI production guns.

The "Dawson" guns are the ones he builds in-house.

I have two STI pistols. They were bought about 1 year apart and so far the only thing they needed was to be cleaned. The first one I took to the American Handgunner Shoot off and put 2000 rounds of Blazer through it there. I also have anothere 15000 or so of good reloads through it also. Both are accurate and tight still. They both get used weekly and I usually carry one with me all the time. SVI might be better but better than perfect would be hard to do. BTW I know it is time to clean them when the trigger pull excedes the 2.75 lbs they came with. KURT

FWIW...I have a Dawson-Jarrett Para P16. I love it. Dave tuned it up and it runs like a watch day in, day out, clean, dirty, hot, cold, wet, dry. I have gone over factory Paras a couple times and it is pretty obvious that either I got reallllll lucky or Dave does some significant work on these before he ships them out.

When I decide to upgrade Dawson will get my business and I will go with one of his custom blasters built up on the 2011 frame. I almost bought one of those out of the gate but just couldn't justify the extra $$$ at the time...if I had thought about it and waited six months...well.... ;)

And if I go shoot the Infinity Open this year (likely) I will do it with my Dawson Para. If I shoot the match of my life and win a frame it will head off to Dave to be built up.

I have never met Dave and have no association with Dawson Precision other than being a very satisfied customer.

Guest Larry Cazes

I will also reccomend Dawson Precision. I bought a Dawson-Jarret P14 this last month and am thoroughly happy with it. It has had 800 rounds through it over the last month with the mags supplied and not a single problem. The gun was delivered on time as promised and they were a pleasure to deal with.

I went through the same decision making process as you, as I said before..

The people I shoot with have:

1. Dave Dawson

2. STI

3. SV

Dave's guns seem to run and run. I believe he was the quality manager at STI. I have not heard one complaint about his guns from anyone.

I looked pretty seriously at SV. I think they are way cool. But service seems to be an issue.

I ended up buying a STI short block kit. The frame/slide/barrel are fitted at STI. They did a nice job. I then chose the parts I wanted. Mostly C&S, Dawson mag well, Wilson safeties. The mags are being tuned by Grams Engineering.

I got to spend some time with Chris from STI. He is a great guy and will ensure your pistol runs right! His service and turn around time is superior. Service and fast turn around is a big big plus when considering whose gun to buy.

You might consider talking with a known custom builder. The Texas boys are pretty good-Lecks/Hill/ and Bob at Brazos. Or the AZ guys-Accuracy Speaks and Kodiak come to mind. I know there are more out there, but I seen these folks guns, NO SLAM INTENDED FOR ANYONE ELSE'S WORK,

A gun that doesn't get a lot of press is the Briley. Claudio Salassas uses STI slides and frames, then modifies them (in the Signature series). The only thing these guns need is an extended magwell. Even the trigger pull is in the low 2 lb range.

SIGNATURE SERIES

$2250.00

Complete 1911 government length pistol built on a modular heavy frame with heavy slide. Includes Briley dovetail front sight / adjustable rear sight low mounted / Briley spherical bushing / Briley match barrel / lowered and flared ejection port / front and rear cocking serrations / tungsten guide rod / Briley extended ejector / match grade trigger - hammer - sear / wide ambidextrous thumb safety / beavertail grip safety / flatten and line top of slide / unique slide and frame cuts to reduce weight and enhance cosmetic appeal / all parts fitted and tuned / one magazine / hot blue finish.

VERSATILITY PLUS

$1850.00

Complete 1911 government length pistol built on a modular or Caspian frame. Includes Briley dovetail front sight / adjustable rear sight low mounted / Briley spherical bushing / Briley match barrel / lowered and flared ejection port / front and rear cocking serrations / Briley guide rod / Briley extended ejector / match grade trigger - hammer - sear / wide ambidextrous thumb safety / beavertail grip safety / all parts fitted and tuned / one magazine / hot blue finish.