Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sv V. Sti

Mistral404

I am pondering the move to Limited.

I think I have two choices: Buy a completed gun or Buy parts and put it together. Either way is fine for me.

I have noticed that about 2/3 of the shooters at the Nationals were using STI guns. I also noticed that SV for a similar model is about $300 more. I am really leaning towards the SV but I know I am not being very objective about it.

What are y'all feelings about SVI guns? Are they worth the extra money over an STI?

I could always buy the Long Slide and Frame Kit from Brownells and save about $300 off the cost of a completed STI. I think I priced the SV to be alittle more expensive.

I would spend any saving on a new holster and mags!!

Your input is appreciated. Thanks

FWIW, Bolth guns are virtually the same. The frames are made under the same patent. And as far as all the other parts they are all virtually identical as well. The SV guns tends have more enfesis on looks as far as shape of the slide and serrations. STI is to SV as Ford is to Lincon. Ford Expedition and Linncon Navitgator are identical underneith thier skin. All in all, it boils down to how well its fitteted and put together. If your going to build one from a frame research many different gunsmiths.

The most common reason people choose STI over SV is delivery time. STI works off of the McDonalds principle where they have a few models that they mass produce while SV pretty much makes most guns to order, exactly how you want them. Some dealers order guns to stock but you will often have to wait a little while to receive your custom gun. I do not think that the price is terribly different as SV includes some features that are not available on STI guns at all. I'm an SV believer and have 2 of them but I don't mind waiting a little more for something really special.

Leo

STI is my choice.

They offers a lot of options through their custom shop.

You can have a pistol built to YOUR specs.

If I have to choose a "factory" custom gun, I would take STI, if it was a "custom" custom gun, it would be a Limcat.

:D

I won't comment on the quality of either as far as full house guns but on the frames there are some slight differences. They are made under the same patent but SV has changed some of the specs on machining their frames. Their magaine release catch is slightly different and I would recommend using SV magazines in an SV and STI in an STI for this reason. Also if you have trouble with swapping magazine types sometimes you can solve the problem by switching the mag release catch. SV has also made changes on the inside of the frame itself, if you check closely you will notice a lot of beveled edges where STI's are sharp. Also SV has larger radius cuts in areas of stress which will reduce the chance of cracks. On the outside SV has also beveled some edges and removed the ugly machine marks on the lower front of the dust cover. In the long run most of these changes are small but there are some differences.

The quality difference in the actual guns and parts is absolutely minimal. Right now, STI is focusing on IPSC shooters and is providing MUCH better customer service.

However, if you have the means to do so, have the gun built by a competition gunsmith, don't buy factory if you have the choice. Also, find the smith first, and talk to them about their preferences - you'll never ever regret building a good relationship with a GOOD gunsmith :)

Even though both guns may be built under the same patent, this doesn't mean they're actually anywhere near being totally the same. IMO the quality and attention to detail is superior on the SVI, (as described by Brazos Custom), which is why they cost a bit more. When you compare the SVI's frame to slide fit (both made in-house at SVI) to the STI, the difference in quality becomes even more apparent. Any part - especially the internals - that SVI makes in-house are the best on the market. I worked for him for quite a few years and know first-hand the attention to detail he lives by, and engineers into all his products.

be

I own both sti & sv guns and like both, the smith makes the gun. A sorry smith could build a POS out of either one. Both companys make good parts but it seems price and avaibality lean toward sti right now. Either way, good parts plus a good smith equals good guns. Good shooting, Larry

And that is probably the reason why "the average consumer" is unhappy with SVI. I am sure when Brian, Matt, or someone in that category calls, they get an adequate response. However, how many pistols does the average consumer buy as compared to the 'select few'?

It is not opinion that when this 'average consumer (buying a $2000 pistol, something the average consumer frequently does) shoots the gun for the first time, and the extractor has no tension and doesn't extract the first round, he is told to 'just bend the extractor'. It might be opinion that the trigger was gritty and the slide bound a little. It is not opinion that when he orders the gun and is told 12 weeks, that the gun takes close to 20. I ordered a frame kit, and got dicked around endlessly waiting for it, with the result being that I get deceived about the shipping date and it gets shipped in three different lots, each of which is useless without the other.

The result is that the limited gun, after having gone to another gunsmith, is a wonderful pistol. And I am sure when I receive the second one, again from a top gunsmith, it will also be great. It is just the aggravation getting there.

Joer,

I am sorry to hear that you had problems with your SV experience but I cannot echo your experience.

I am not Brian, Matt or even a GM ... I'm just a run of the mill shooter and I have always gotten excellent response from SV. Many other nobodys in my area have had good responses too.

Leo

I recently bought a STI Edge about 1.5 weeks ago from Dawson. I've shot about 900 rounds out of it. The trigger breaks clean at about 2.75 lbs (Dawson slightly tweaked the trigger) and the pistol has been 100% reliable, even with my short .40 loads (I previously shot a Glock 35 and load to 1.125 OAL). It also fed about 200 rounds of that nasty Wolf stuff with no hiccups.

The quality of workmanship seems excellent. I don't have any experience with SV and so I can't comment, but I'm pleased with my STI Edge.

I've also called STI - because I couldn't figure out how to get the Recoil Master out of my Edge - and they were very nice and gave great customer service.