Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New vs. old brass

I looked around and didn't find any info on this, so here is the question. Does new or once fired brass perform at a higher velocity than old used practice brass? I was chronographing today and this thought re-entered my mind. I have often wondered as I would like to use old brass at the "lost brass" matches.

What are your findings/opinions?

Hasn't made a difference to me, none that I have been able to track with any repeatability anyway. Brass is brass as far as I am concerned, it is like a light bulb in that it works fine or it doesn't work at all.

You might see a slight difference, but I doubt it would be significant. Easy way to find out would be to compare new with old loaded identically otherwise. I haven't seen any difference between once fired and cases that have been used five or six times (I try to note such things when I chrono). If anything, I'd guess the biggest difference would be between new and cases that have been fired half a dozen times or so. I know some large rifle cases will show a noticable difference between new and cases that have been fired, resized, and trimmed a couple of times, but I'm guessing that's because the used cases have a slightly different volume after being stretched, trimmed etc.

As brass is reloaded it gets harder as it is resized, belled and crimped. I would think that new brass, being softer would expand to seal the chamber better and faster. Thats just what I think. Could the average reloader with a chrono prove that? I doubt it, too many other vairables. If its not cracked and the rim looks ok its good as far as Im concerened.-----------Larry

Edited by lkytx