Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mobo's

B.J. Norris

Anybody know of a reasonably priced, quality motherboard that supports AGP 8X? The IDE controller on our Sony desktop seems to have bit the dust and we're thinking of dropping all the bits and peices (minus the PS) into a new case and mobo. Asus doesn't even seem to make an AGP board anymore...

Finding anything new with an AGP slot is gonna be hard. AGP cards are still being made (a few) to upgrade older stuff but for the most part it's pretty dead. If you don't want to drop the cash on a new board and vid card, I'd suggest a PCI add on IDE card. I've got both a Highpoint RAID card and a Promise Ulta 133 Tx2 and liked them both when I was actually using them. The Promise card can be bought for less than $40.00 bucks and the Highpoint is less than $50.00 at Newegg or shoot me a PM. Mine are kind of for sale.

Like these guys are saying, your options are dwindling every day. AGP will still be made for at least a few more years because the business market has 10 years worth of workstations that are all using AGP.

You didn't mention what brand and version of CPU you are needing a board for.