Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1:30 Mount for C-More

Working on an article on, among other things, running a secondary sight system on an AR-15 fitted with a Trijicon TA-11 at the 12 o'clock position. I've pretty much settled on the 1:30 position for the secondary, close range system. Suggestions for the best mounting system? I know that theoretically you shouldn't mount the secondary sight system to a standard round plastic handguard, but really I wonder how much that matters. Taking the handguards on the RRA LAR-15 in my hands, indeed if I twist as hard as possible I can elicit a very tiny bit of movement, but how much does that really matter at close range, say from point blank to the 25-30 yard range?

Opinions on running a C-More or irons as the secondary? Who makes a good set of appropriate irons?

I bought a rail kit from JP. Piece of rail about 3" long, has a backer plate that fits inside the free-float tube, works great. Not sure if it would work with the plastic handguard...

Duane if you are going open then I don't think there is anything that works better than a Docter or JPoint on a Burkett mount at the back of the receiver. It mounts the sight close to the same point as your optic objective. This gives you a great field of view for the type of up close shooting you will be using it for. I found that with the secondary optic on the handguard, trying to find the dot that far away from my eye was much slower and negated any advantage the second optic offered. There is a pic of the sight and mount here: JPoint/Docter Mount you will have to scroll down a bit.

Edited by smokshwn

Beven Grams is also making a Doctor Mount now similar to Burkett's but at a slightly different angle. The angle on the Burkett is 45 degrees and it's close to the bore line. Beven put his at 35 degrees and the dot is the same elevation from the bore as the main optic. Best set up I've seen yet with a Doctor. Just depends on what you want to do with a secondary optic. I'm not sure that mounting a weak red dot system (and pretty much all the small red dots have weaknesses, C-More or Doctor, or whatever) as a backup is a great choice. Iron sights would seem more logical for anything other than competition. And if it's for competition, get a free float tube and do it right.