Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10:30 Mount for SureFire X200

I'm working on an article on, among other things, outfitting an AR-15 with a SureFire X200. Can anyone suggest a shorty 10:30 scope mount that would allow mounting a SureFire X200 to a standard round plastic handguard?

Biggest problem is standard round plastic handguard. There are several rail manufactuers out there for the standard handguards and they work, mounted through the holes at 12 and 6. but to get a 10:30 mount, dont really know how you are gonna get that. run a seperate angled rail off of the other one. you could mount the light off of the front sight but that is more to the 9 .

Duane,

You do realize that with an X200A mounted in the 6:00 position that it's easiest to use the beam as a "dot". 10:30 works too, but 6:00 is going to give you a much more natural aim point from close in to 25 yards or so. If you're using and X200B, I think the beam is much more diffuse and none of the above applies.

E

E,

I'm looking at the ease of manipulating the rocker switch without having to break my grip.

Someone recently told me, "Most guys just drill holes through the forend and mount a short piece of equipment rail." I may have to go that way. Any suggestions on who makes the appropriate "short piece of equipment rail"?

Duane,

I do believe that SF sells a switch housing with a remote switch if switching efficiency is paramount. My short experience was that BlinkyBlinky® was vastly slower and LockAndHose ruled the roost.

Lawman on the forums is a SF dealer and you would do well to contact him. I'm guessing he has more experience than anyone here on the matter.

JP sells rail chunks for $20 to $40 ea. The key is in shimming the light to align the beam with your POA. Mounting the rail at 10:30 is going to put the beam at 4:30 in order to generate a center hit. You may want to invest in a beam spreader in order to mask the center hotspot.

FWIW,

E

Edited by EricW

latewatch,

That looks like exactly what I had in mind. Thanks! And thanks for taking the time to track down and post that link.

Glad to be of help. I had one of these on my patrol rifle until I upgraded to a Daniel Defense Handguard and it worked great.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI, guys, I wound up going for the short piece of G&G rail, and finally mounted it in about the 2:00 position, suitable for manipulating the rocker switch on a Streamlight TLR-1/TLR-2 or SureFire X200 with my left index finger. Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful.