Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 times the fun 3 gun diary

Chris Conley

Airsoft gun took a dump on me this weekend. :angry2: Going to try and call airsplat in the moring and see what I can do to get the thing fixed. That pistol has really helped me see the front sight all the time. Great for transitions too. I hope I can get it fixed. I need to practice more mag changes, weak and strong hand draws anyway.

Going to crank it up a notch this week doing my crossfit training. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can do some things outside. Slosh pipe is frozen and pullup bar is covered in ice. Going to build some jump boxes this weekend out of some scrap wood that I scarfed up from my buddies shop. I think they will be 18, 24, and 30 inches. That should round out my back yard fitness area for now.

Can't wait for the local matches to resume at the end of this month. I'm ready to do some shooting.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a long time since my last post. Been preoccupied with alot of other things. Working on the KY State Multigun has been one of them. It takes up all my time.

Finally back in the gym. Knee is feeling much better but I still have to lay off for another 3 weeks. Dr. said that it's ok to ride my bike a couple of times a week to get my range of motion back but don't ride too hard. Mostly doing strength training when I do workout. Should be back doing crossfit soon. I won't push it too hard at first.

Pick up my limited gun Friday. I had everything but the controls changed to black. It's been gone for about 3 weeks so the dryfire part has not been happening. Match on Saturday... I think I will still do pretty good. Been working on movement with broken airsoft gun while I talk on the phone with sponsors for the State match.

Speaking of airsoft guns I have a new one on the way. It should be here Saturday. Weather is breaking for spring and I'm ready to start doing movement drills in the back yard. I've got everything set up and ready to go.

Multigun match 29 March. I can't wait.

Chris C.

Had a tough day at the range today. Conditions were not the best to say the least. Heavy rain all day long. That should be no excuse. I was prepared for the rain with gortex jacket, golf umbrella, and water proof boots. Pistol was not ready.

I found out today the hard way that I need a new mainspring and firing pin spring. Had a bunch of light strikes on primers today. Six on one stage. The big factor was that I started using small rifle primers in my pistol loads and with a worn out main spring they just wouldn't work. I had about 100 rounds with regular pistol primers and that got me thru the rest of the match. Never had a misfire after that.

There was moments of glory too.... On stage 3 there was T1, T2 to the right, then turn left and hit a steel popper, two paper on the right and the drop turner on the left thru a port. Buzzer goes and cleaned targets on the right, snap eyes and head to the steel on the left, hit it on the run and clean the two paper targets on the right and then a malfuntion on the first shot for the drop turner. Man I was right there ready for it. Drop mag, rack slide, reload while going thru the door. I bear down on the popper and mini popper, hit them on the move, back out with a slick move to put me in the right spot to hit the target on the right around a wall. Malfunction!!!! Racked slide and finished out the stage. I wish that I could have had that one back. It felt good to hit that 15 yard mini on the move.

One thing learned today was that a cold driving rain sucks! Having to RO everyone in a cold driving rain sucks even more. Also I will never have a gun that is not 100%. I knew before the match that I was getting some light strikes. Today it bit me in the ass. I love the gun now that it's black. Looks and makes me feel more aggressive.

All in all I had a horrible match today. But I did alot of things today that I couldn't do 4 months ago. Can't wait till the next match.... My gun will be ready, I'll be ready.

Chris C.

IDPA match next weekend in Bowling Green next weekend. They will have a rifle side match and I am looking forward to that.

Edited by Chris Conley

• 2 weeks later...

Got some range time on Tuesday to get know the dust off the rifle. Shot about 200 round of .223 and about 1000 thru the Cienier. Only thing I worked on was 50 yrd A zone plated off hand. Bringing the rifle up 500 times sure makes the shoulders sore the next day.

Spent all day yesterday getting my weak hand shotgun reload down pat. I woke up and told myself that I am not going to do anything else until I get it right. Started at 0800 and broke for lunch around noon. Came back and worked on it for a couple of more hours. While it's not as fast as some of the other guys it's consistant. The hardest thing to over come was getting my hands to hold on to four shells. Found out that with a little hand position work four shells at once is your friend. Still working on it this morning. Thumb looks like a cherry blowpop and I have to grit my teeth with every shell I stick in.

Multigun match this weekend. Looking forward to seeing some guys that I haven't seen in a while. I have to remember to remain relaxed while reloading the shotgun and everything will be fine.

Chris C.

Multigun match this weekend... Tried things this weekend that I feel uncomfortable with. Shooting on the move with the rifle @ 20+ yards and loading shotgun weakhand. My goal for the match was doing those things and sticking to it through the whole match. No matter how bad things went.

Match stress is everything. It will definately know were you stand.... period. I think that now I am a better off hand shot with the rifle than I was last week. Biggest weakness was trying relax in a static position. I forget to so suck in air while I'm shooting. One thing that I was happy about was I tired to shoot every rifle shot on the move. There was one stage that you have to shoot static but the rest of it could be done on the move. I picked up some mikes but learned were I stand in my training and what I need to work on. That's what the local matches are for.

Shotgun reloading weakhand didn't workout. To me reloading weakhand with a 1100 tac is hard. I think I can fair better loading strong handed. I'm going to try cutting a few coils off my spring and see if that helps but I don't know.

Physical train will start back in earnest in the morning. I think that I'm 100% Lost alot of weight so now I have to start back at square one.

Chris C.

Working on my shotgun reload all week with some airsoft pistol in garage. Did shotgun reload drills all day on Tuesday and went to the range on Wensday to confirm. Drill was shoot 1 reload 4 shoot 1. Steel was set at 15 yrds. Goal for the day was to get it below 5 seconds. Didn't make it but came really close. Biggest problem is getting good hand postition on the caddy to make a solid reload. I think that most reloading will be done on the move and hand position will be the key.

Rain has stopped finally and will go to the range today before work tonight to make my goal for the week. Less than 5 seconds.

A friend of mine had something good to say about multigun shooting. We fight for 10ths of seconds on the pistol and rifle but we give seconds away on the shotgun. Why? A moment of clarity for me.

Chris C.

Had a chance to go to the range yesterday after I woke up from working nights. Worked on a transition drill using two A zone size plates at 12 yards. Draw and shoot two is a tough drill. Shot about 300 rounds just doing this drill. Best time and split and time was 1.82 with a .62 split. Draws all day were kinda slow. My index is really all screwed up right now. When I finish the draw the front sight can be anywhere but on the plate. If it's on the plate I feel like I got lucky. I'll do some dryfire today to work it out. I think that I have shot that airsoft gun so much that the difference in the weight of the guns is throwing me off. I like this drill and the A zone plates keep you honest. My shot calling was good but still needs some work. For the rest of the week I'm going to work on pistol and shotgun reloads and draws. One hour a day on each gun when I can.

Physical training has been tough. Still trying to recover lost strength and weight from when I had the flu 3 weeks ago. Lost about 10 pounds and have gained back about 7. There is a stiff wind blowing today so I'll ride me bike 10 miles and do some shoulder/leg work with the slosh pipe. I really hate that thing but it's really helping me balance. Holding it over your head and trying to step up on milk crates is agony.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Keep at it. I'm dry firing my SS 1 hour a night and when I don't force anything and just "smoooooth it" it all works out nicely. The kydex holster for my SS has made me draw up then push out instead of slinging out I was doing with the ghost....one of the reasons I'm selling it.

After A6 I'll be dry firing my Limited gun, reloading my shotgun, and raising my AR....can't let you get to far ahead of me!

Keep at it. I'm dry firing my SS 1 hour a night and when I don't force anything and just "smoooooth it" it all works out nicely. The kydex holster for my SS has made me draw up then push out instead of slinging out I was doing with the ghost....one of the reasons I'm selling it.

After A6 I'll be dry firing my Limited gun, reloading my shotgun, and raising my AR....can't let you get to far ahead of me!

Damn, I guess I have to crank it up another notch. ;) Come May I'll be ready. Would like to see shotgun reload of 4 down to 3 seconds. AR will be smoking hot come KY State. I've done alot of work on my rifle index. Practicing a bunch shooting 50-100 yrds standing with reloads. Key thing that I have learned is to breath. Fine in practice but tuff to do in a match. I catch myself not breathing all the time. It's the key to relaxing on those head shots at 30 yards. Steel do have 2 mags with a mag cinch? You'll need it if you don't. Fast mag changes on 100 yrd standard courses if you catch my drift.

I'll get rid of the Safariland soon. Just not yet. Once I move up into a higher class I'll get rid of it. To be true I don't think that either is any faster, it's just a mental thing for me.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

How are you mag cinching Pmags?

Can't find anything that will hold them together. I took my best 2 "tuned" GI mags and stuck them together. Along with all the Magpul guts and whistles I put a 45 degree angle on the front edge of the mags to make them feed better. Good little trick that I read about here on the forums.

Chris C

Edited by Chris Conley

I've got one I'll sell you for around $100. If you don't get one before the match you can use mine. Rental is cheap. And yes it is a faster mag change. Keep that mag in the pouch too. You could have one really bad jammer and it can save you in a pinch.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

I've got one I'll sell you for around $100. If you don't get one before the match you can use mine. Rental is cheap. And yes it is a faster mag change. Keep that mag in the pouch too. You could have one really bad jammer and it can save you in a pinch.

Chris C.

Thanks what a pale :-)

Yeah, that was the idea for the pouch.

Been a tuff couple of days practice wise. Can't really do anything right. Reloads are terrible, draws are all over the place movement is no good. I think I'm just trying too hard. I feel relaxed doing the drills but nothing seems to go right. Just have too much going on right now. I'll be glad when the end of May comes around and thing settle down a whole bunch. Just feeling really flat.

Physical training is about the same. Now that spring has arrived I am able to get in the back yard and do some of the workouts. Nice to do them in the warm sun. Strength is a lot better now. I'll switch back to crossfit full time next week. Can't wait.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

Been a tuff couple of days practice wise. Can't really do anything right. Reloads are terrible, draws are all over the place movement is no good. I think I'm just trying too hard. I feel relaxed doing the drills but nothing seems to go right. Just have too much going on right now. I'll be glad when the end of May comes around and thing settle down a whole bunch. Just feeling really flat.

Physical training is about the same. Now that spring has arrived I am able to get in the back yard and do some of the workouts. Nice to do them in the warm sun. Strength is a lot better now. I'll switch back to crossfit full time next week. Can't wait.

Chris C.

I find that if I don't take breaks during dry fire I get to trying to hard and nothing works. When I just let it happen and flow...it works the way it should. Try turning the timer off during your next dry fire session. Then the next one turn it back on and see if you've improved.

Took practice outside in the back yard today. Had about an hour and a half to do some fundemental drills with the airsoft gun. Draws, transitions and movement. Draw par time was set at 1.1 and I could beat it consistantly shooting at airsoft mini poppers at 20 feet. Movement was better today although I need to cut my grass. Cleats would hang up every now and then. One thing that I have noticed is my attention span is really low if I'm not well rested. I'll remember that for the big matches and get to bed earlier. Working night shift and a crop dusting biplane buzzing my house lets one get little sleep.

Strength is back to pre flu and I have gained all the weight back that I lost. I'll be back in the Crossfit loop starting Monday.

I have a pistol match this weekend and a Manny class next weekend. Going to Circleville, OH the weekend after that for a multigun match. It will be nice to shoot 3 gun again before the KY State. Looking forward to getting on the road and getting away from match planning for a couple of days. This will be the first match this year that I haven't worked. It will be fun to just show up and shoot. :rolleyes:

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I have posted here. Just too busy anymore. Hung around the house all day and practiced transistions and draws with my airsoft pistol. Then spent most of the afternoon reloading the shotgun. I'm really going to have to manage my time well over the next couple of weeks. I have to work 12 out of 14 days and at least 12 hours a day.

The Manny class was outstanding. I learned alot and have some new found confidence. The class earned me a small stress fracture at the base of my thumb. Shooting pistol really hurts like a bitch right now but I'll suffer thru it. It really bothered me at the Circleville multigun match. By the end of the match I couldn't hardly hold onto the pistol. With 2 big matches coming up at the end of the month I don't think it's going to have much time to heal up. I'll try and do as little as possible with my strong hand when I can.

Fall of the wagon a little with my fitness. I'll be back on it tonight. Not enough time in the day sometimes.

Chris C.

Finally have a day off today. Still no chance to go to the range. Raining all day... and I've shot enough in the rain this year. Strong hand is feeling better but it was feeling better at Circleville until I started shooting. Maybe it's a good thing that it's raining today. Once my eyes wake up from night shift I do some dryfire/airsoft in the garage. I've shot about 300 rounds a day for 2 weeks running some Manny drills I got from the class.

Crossfit training is now back in full swing. 6 days straight now and I'm thankful that it's a rest day today. I doing different WOD's right now to shock my body into getting used to Crossfit a little quicker. My body is hurting and needs a break. That's what I get for falling off the fitness wagon. I can't wait for my body to get more accustom to the WOD's. My foot speed and over all strength was so much better. In about 2 weeks I should be in better shape.

I have the Kentucky State Multigun and the Indiana State Handgun coming up in the next couple of weeks. I look forward to performing at my best.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley