Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anti Fog for Glasses?

nhglyn

I got the impression that cat crap is just soap in the consistency you need it in a convenient container for $8

The principle is to break the surface tension of the tiny water droplets. . . so your looking through a thin flat layer of water instead of blinded by thousands of convex lenses.

Concur. Anti-fog solutions are pretty much surfactants that disrupt surface tension of water droplets as they condense on the lenses. You can pay for special formulations and consistencies and whatnot... or just use pretty much any type of soap.

Personally, I'm partial to baby shampoo, since it won't cause irritation if I manage to get it in my eyes. I'll just keep a travel-size bottle of it in my range bag, and apply some before the start of a match.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:12 AM, Steve133 said:

Concur. Anti-fog solutions are pretty much surfactants that disrupt surface tension of water droplets as they condense on the lenses. You can pay for special formulations and consistencies and whatnot... or just use pretty much any type of soap.

Personally, I'm partial to baby shampoo, since it won't cause irritation if I manage to get it in my eyes. I'll just keep a travel-size bottle of it in my range bag, and apply some before the start of a match.

So just to be clear. Do you mix the BS with water and apply? OR do you just rub it on with your fingers or cloth, let it sorta dry and wipe clean??

35 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

So just to be clear. Do you mix the BS with water and apply? OR do you just rub it on with your fingers or cloth, let it sorta dry and wipe clean??

The latter. I used to mix it with water (i.e., the bottle I carried around with me was a water/shampoo mix), but it didn't work quite as well, and I just kept adjusting the amount of water downward until I just said "heck with it" and went with all shampoo. I'll squeeze a drop or two onto each side of each lens, then spread it around with a cloth or paper towel or whatever, let it dry for a bit, then hit with the cloth/paper towel again to buff cloudiness out. There might be other solutions out there that work better, but the baby shampoo works well enough that I haven't bothered to spend the extra money.

Smith Anti-Fog Cloth or Cat Crap work pretty well.  Visit your local ski/snowboard shop.

If there is no air movement & you are sweating balls, abandon the close fitting wrap style glasses for a pair that stands off your face a bit more & offers better airflow. 

• 3 months later...