Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anti Fog for Glasses?

nhglyn

Cat Crap. Comes is a little red tub. Find it at your local ski shop. Even Cat Crap has its limits. If you're sweating in 100% humidity, your glasses are pretty much going to fog no matter what. The best solution is to find glasses that sit away from your brow and have a bit smaller lenses that permit air to circulate. Not the current fashion, but air movement is what keeps the fog down.

Edited by EricW

Is there any anti fog application for glasses that really works? I have tried a few different ones and the glasses still fog up on me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Fels Naptha (old fashioned soap) works wonders. It works better than most, if not all, the stuff you can buy.

• 2 years later...

The best anti fog glasses I bought so far are the AOS Fuel Antifog. I have tried Remington and antifog cloths and they did not decrease the fog as much as I need. The AOS glsses has air outlets and who know what else. I will see sweat streaming down but no fog. I do need lense cloth to clean them if they get mucked up with sweat. a towel will cut visibility. I ll have to try some of the other items mentioned on this post.

Edited by Flexmoney
moved from FAQ's thread to dedicated "anti-fog" thread.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

You guys really need to check out the Vaporshield technology of Edge Tactical Eyewear! If you want you can watch this AMAZING *insert sarcasm* youtube video that explains it pretty well... I have been selling quite a few of these and they are awesome! If you are wanting a polarized version, the vaporshield is NOT available as the technologies do not mesh well in the lens manufacturing process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDMSmTDB160

http://www.hellscanyonarmory.com/index.php/edge-eyewear/

Mike

Buy some Old Style baush & lomb - Ray Ban shooters glasses, big enough to protect and wide open air circulation...

1336606011_372601369_1-Pictures-of--Original-RayBan-SHOOTER-outdoorsman-sunglasses-by-BAUSCH-LOMB-USA.jpg

Seriously, all good winter sport store will have anti fog stuff, you may give a try to diving stuff store too. Personaly, I just change my glasses to one giving a better air circulation.

Buy some Old Style baush & lomb - Ray Ban shooters glasses, big enough to protect and wide open air circulation...

1336606011_372601369_1-Pictures-of--Original-RayBan-SHOOTER-outdoorsman-sunglasses-by-BAUSCH-LOMB-USA.jpg

Seriously, all good winter sport store will have anti fog stuff, you may give a try to diving stuff store too. Personaly, I just change my glasses to one giving a better air circulation.

Back when I was into snowboarding I tried every coating I could to keep my goggles from fogging up. Nothing ever really worked as good as advertised. The edge Vaporshield is a dip that is permanently bonded to the lens. They had around 18 months of testing to get it where they wanted and it works from what I can tell. For those of you interested you may want to give 'em a shot. For $40 they are a great deal and are literally bulletproof!

Mike

Or do like the ol folks, spit on them, then clean it it with a corner of your flanell shirt. If it works for granpa, why not for us...

Here is another scuba diving trick.........Baby shampoo. Was on a dive boat that dispensed it at the spot where you jumped in the water. On the dispenser they had it labeled, "ultimate defog."

When I asked what is this magical stuff, baby shampoo. Since it is 'no tears,' it won't mess with your eyes during the dive.....and it really did an excellent job.

So I now clean my glasses with this shampoo to clear off the 'chemicals' and junk......and then would use a normal defog stuff afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Or do like the ol folks, spit on them, then clean it it with a corner of your flanell shirt. If it works for granpa, why not for us...

Here is another scuba diving trick.........Baby shampoo. Was on a dive boat that dispensed it at the spot where you jumped in the water. On the dispenser they had it labeled, "ultimate defog."

When I asked what is this magical stuff, baby shampoo. Since it is 'no tears,' it won't mess with your eyes during the dive.....and it really did an excellent job.

So I now clean my glasses with this shampoo to clear off the 'chemicals' and junk......and then would use a normal defog stuff afterwards.

I use this all the time while diving works great and cheap.

• 6 years later...
On 7/9/2007 at 5:19 PM, Glockster35 said:

+1 on the Cat Crap, I used it in Iraq, and have used it in North Carolina, I have yet to find anything that works better!

I got mine at REI (online), and you may be able to find it elsewhere!

This will be an addition to my range bag real soon!  Thanks 

This is the only thing I have found to work. When I used to shoot Highpower, you'd be laying prone in the hot sun with a 9 pound shooting jacket on. It would fog up the glasses quick.

Get a fresh bar of Ivory soap. The cheap white soap. Apply it DRY on both sides of your clean lenses. Then wipe/rub off the dry soap. It forms a layer of glycol on the lenses that keep fog/moisture out. Lasts all day. 

I would keep a bar in my shooting bag and apply it before a match.

I don't have that problem shooting USPSA. My glasses have lots of room around my face.

Give it a try. It's a bar of soap.

Bar soap! especially the translucent glycerin ones.

I keep a small container (much like cat crap comes in) with tiny pieces of end-of-life soap.  Get your finger wet, rub on soap, rub finger on glasses, let dry, buff out.  It takes some practice to get the right amount. As it works, the fog (water) actually rinses the soap away, so you'll have to reapply in extreme humidity.

I've found polyester shirts will not buff it right.  I use cotton.

10 hours ago, MetricPound said:

Bar soap! especially the translucent glycerin ones.

I keep a small container (much like cat crap comes in) with tiny pieces of end-of-life soap.  Get your finger wet, rub on soap, rub finger on glasses, let dry, buff out.  It takes some practice to get the right amount. As it works, the fog (water) actually rinses the soap away, so you'll have to reapply in extreme humidity.

I've found polyester shirts will not buff it right.  I use cotton.

This is what we used to do 25+ years ago playing paintball and wearing goggles over glasses.  Worked well enough in those days, but hopefully things have improved since then.